Finally raced my SpeedMerchant Rev.3 this past Saturday, and I did pretty well (winning the A main) if I do say so myself.
With the holidays and all, I've been setting up this car piece meal when I had any spare time. On Saturday when I put the car down on the track for the first qualifier, I hadn't even had time to setup, practice or learn the layout. As I lined up on the grid, I realized that the steering had not been properly adjusted so the car was pulling to the left during the whole race.
Early in the second qualifier, my "O" ring broke (can't figure out why), so the car began to handle inconsistently. I ended up hitting a wall which caused the battery to become unseated, and break one of the damper tubes.
By the third qualifier, I had everything straight. I took an early lead, that lasted at least 4 minutes. Eventually, the second place car (TQ) caught up and got by. He was actually a slightly better and more consistent driver. After he passed me, I was able to stay on his heels and apply pressure. Unfortunate for him, he dumped with about 1 1/2 laps to go. So I won because of his misfortune.
Anyway, I had a lot of fun racing 1/12th. I had not raced 1/12th or on carpet since October 2000 (and then only 3 or 4 races).
The Rev.3 felt exactly as I remember the Carpet Knife felt. I wasn't sure what to expect using this "old School" front end. The car was consistent, held tweak and was easy to drive.
So far, the rear bearings seem to be in good condition. On my CK I remember the bearings becoming gritty very quickly.
Minor concern: I notice that there is a bit of track surface build up at the rear of the main chassis, and the front edge of the rear pod. I think that my center spring may have been to light causing the center to droop at times. I'll be switching to a stiffer spring to see if that helps.