R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-28-2016, 12:43 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: 1/12 forum
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: fenton06
This is a place to share knowledge related to 1/12th scale racing. It is not to be used for conversations.

KITS:
Click links to go to manufacturer product page. If any are missing please add them!

TIRES:
Pre-mounted tires readily available in the US:
Pre-mounted tires readily available in the Europe:
  • Hot Race ??

Gluing your own donuts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm7z1rz-74s - Special thanks to Edward Pickering!
Truing tires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wqHOLWq6Uc - Special thanks to Edward Pickering!

The following information came from HERE, with some editing and information added. Thanks Christian!

THIS MAY NEED UPDATING FOR THE NEW BLACK CRC CARPET

Brands:
BSR, CRC, Jaco:
Pro One is no longer selling to the public, but it and the brands above are all mounted by BSR and use the same foam. The nomenclature of the BSR vs Jaco/CRC is a little different in a few instances but is otherwise the same. The BSR foam consists of three families, and can be identifed as synthetics, naturals, and blends.

Synthetics - The old school, light weight, easy to true "dry feeling" tires. These include tires like CRC/Jaco Yellow (BSR White), Black, Gray, etc. These tires offer the highest wear rate and lowest grip. Many racers continue to use these nder high bite conditions.

Naturals - These tires are usually the best alternative for low bite and asphalt. They include Pink, Magenta, Double Pink, Lilac (BSR Team Purple), Purple, and other tires. These tires provide a ton of grip, but tend to get sticky in high bite conditions. This rubber does not wear as easily, and the cars will pick up gunk and fibers from the carpet under most high bite conditions. This is especially bad if the humidity is high.

Blends - These are the tires most people run today. They were initially called "JFT foam" by some, as it was believed that the tires were the same as the JFT tires. We can divide the blends further into two groups: high rubber and low rubber content. The high rubber would be the new rear Orange and Red from the BSR family, and the low rubber would be the Green and Blue varieties. When, asked about the difference, John Foister from BSR Tires said they came from the same "family" of foam, but they offered different grip. According to John, the Green/Blue has more bite than Orange/Red, but from track testing Oranges offer more bite than Green (being equivalent to in hardness) when the grip is high and absolutely no grip when it is lower. The Orange foam has a denser pore structure and the tire is not as prone to chunking. It is also important to note is that BSR Blue rears are not the same as the BSR Blue fronts!

JFT:
JFT stands for Japan Foam Tire. They started the new wave of foam tires we are all using now (Blue/Blu, Green/Greene, Dbl Blue, etc). These tires are a little different than the BSR tire family, but work in very similar conditions. They offers four varieties A (asphalt), C (carpet), S (???), and R (???). This does not mean that those types only work on that surface, but this is what they recommend.

JFT uses the same foam for fronts and rears if the color is the same.

A: Used on asphalt, considered close to the natural rubber variety and are named consistently with other natural tires.
C: Used on carpet, considered a blend.
S: Used on carpet?, tires are ???
R: Used on carpet?, tires are ???

For setup, the JFT foam seem to generate more bite than the BSR, therefore the car tends to be a little more aggressive.

Ulti:
Ulti is another Japanese brand that offers an array of compounds. They have their own way of rating tires, and are difficult to equate to other brands. They have 4 different varieties, each in varying degrees of hardness.

J: High rubber content tire, similar to Pink/ Magenta. Soft would be close to a pink. These offer the most bite and are great for asphalt/carpet front tire. (J hard being very popular)
X: "Balanced" blend, similar to JFT Blue/ Green. Soft is equivalent to Green, medium to Blue in hardness. Great for carpet!
Y: High synthetic blend with lower grip, and is not a very popular variety.
Z: A very expensive "special" foam that is supposed to be magic on asphalt. Only make it in soft shore.
European tires:
There are many great European foam tire brands that use their own types of foam, as well as traditional foams. SOmeone with more knowledge about them will need to fill this in!

Tire Diameter:
If you are racing on carpet, you have to evaluate how much grip your track has. If your track is low to medium grip, you can run bigger tires. If you are on higher bite you have to cut them smaller, there is simply no way around it. Bigger tires are needed for asphalt, especially in the rear. The larger tires provide much needed lateral bite.

Carpet (mm):
Low - Medium Bite
Front: 42.0 - 42.5
Rear: 42.5 - 43.00
Medium - High Bite
Front: 40.5 - 41.0
Rear: 41.5 - 42.0
Big Race
Front: 39.5 - 40.0
Rear: 40.5 - 41.0
Asphalt (mm):
Parking Lot
Front: 43.0 - 44.0
Rear: 44.0 - 45.0
Prepped High Bite
Front: 42.0 - 43.0
Rear: 43.0 - 44.0

Tire Saucing:
Most facilities have moved towards odorless traction additives such as SXT. Some of additives evaporate very quickly and some do not. This seems to be something that is also dependent on tire compound and ambient temperature. For example, saucing a Green compound seems like it never dries, especially when tjhe temperature is lower. We have found that wiping the tires off 15 minutes before we go run allows the sauce to cure, which makes the car come in much quicker with Green rears. Blue compounds on the other hand, do fine when wiped off right before hitting the track.

Saucing half front and full rear is a good initial starting point. If the front of the car is too agressive you can sauce les than half, or for a shorter amount of time.
Tire Fuzzing:
In conditions of increasing grip, foam tires will somewtimes get sticky and pick up fuzz and debris from the track. This is highly dependent on the rubber sedan tire that is being run at your local track and the compound/ type of foam you are running on you car. The softer the sedan tire and the harder/higher rubber content in your foam tire, trouble with fuzzing seems more likely to occur.

There are ways to get around fuzzing under most conditions, and usually involves the selection of the correct foam compound. The more fuzz you get, the softer/lower rubber content you want to run.

Examples:
Problem: Car fuzzes with Lilac/Team Purple fronts and car starts pushing.
Solution: Use a softer front tire and or different family of foam. Replace it with Blue or Double Blue front.

Problem: Car loses rear bite 6 minutes into the run. Blue rear tires look almost clean but have small carpet hairs.
Solution: Use Green rear tires. The softer compound wears instead of getting sticky, minimizing fuzz.

Tire Selection:
Starting out, pick 2 tire compounds for the front and rear. The following should have you covered 99% of the time.

Front - Green and Blue (BSR) or Green and Light Blue (JFT)
Rear - Blue and Double Blue (BSR) or Blue and Dark Blue (JFT)

You may wonder about other compounds out there and if they might be better, trust me, they probably won't be. Even if there are other tires that can be as fast, the synthetic family wears out really fast and the high natural rubber will probably fuzz on you over an 8 minute run. The blends family seems to be the most versatile foam type available today. They last awhile, and sticking to them will make your process of tire selection simpler.
Tire Charts:
BSR/CRC/Jaco

Contact

Corally

JFT (Japan Foam Tire)

Ulti

Enneti (Xceed)

ELECTRONICS:
ESC:
As of now, ROAR is staying 1S (3.7V nominal; 4.2V fully charged) for 1/12. There are many 1S ESC's with a built in BEC so nothing else is required to power the receiver and servo.

If you don't want to lock yourself into a 1S specific ESC, you do have other options! It is possible to use your 2S ESC without a booster or receiver pack, and the ESC simply supplies the lower voltage. If that does not appeal to you, you will need to use an Rx pack or booster. The Rx pack and booster will both supply the receiver with a higher voltage than the 1S pack.

If you decide to use an Rx pack, MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE RED WIRE FROM THE ESC PLUG THAT GOES INTO THE RECEIVER!!!

If you choose to use a voltage booster, it works exactly how it sounds. Instead of plugging the ESC into the receiver, it plugs into the booster, and the booster plug goes to the ESC, supplying the higher voltage.

1S ESC:
If there are any missing please add them!!

If anyone would like a need for a chart comparing the ESC's specs PM fenton06 and I'll get one made and put in here!
Voltage Boosters:
If there are any missing please add them!
Servos:
BODIES:
Black Art (CRC - US Dist):
  • Audi R8C - BA002 - .020 Thick

• Black Market (Mohawk 12) - BA005 - .020

• Lola B10 - BA006 - .020 thick
  • Toyota TS030 - BA008 - .020 thick

Lola - black/red, TS030 - green/pink

PROTOForm:

Reflex Racing/RSD:

SUSPENSION ADJUSTMENTS:

Print Wikipost

Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #34231
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_MrTyson View Post
good plan

I have a r12 arriving next week, have purchased a BLS651 for the special event..

Does anyone know if it will fit?
I tried to put a 9650 into mine and it wouldn't fit, the width between the servo posts on the R12 is 33mm so I ended up getting a sanwa, and after reading a blog in japan it seems Nato was testing a new sanwa servo in the R12 after the worlds by the looks of it.
2011 AARCMCC National Titles 2wd Stock #1 -- 2011 AARCMCC National Titles SC Truck #2 -- 2010 WA AARCMCC State Titles, SC Truck #1
Offroad Schumacher Catsx & Cougar SV, X-Factory SCX60 Onroad Yokomo R12
www.stanbridges.com.au -- www.upgrade-rc.com
eichkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #34232
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Me_MrTyson Send a message via Skype™ to Me_MrTyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eichkay View Post
I tried to put a 9650 into mine and it wouldn't fit, the width between the servo posts on the R12 is 33mm so I ended up getting a sanwa, and after reading a blog in japan it seems Nato was testing a new sanwa servo in the R12 after the worlds by the looks of it.

BLS651 spec's

Length: 1.42 in (36.1 mm)

Width: 0.59 in (15.0 mm)

Height: 1.10 in (27.9 mm)

just short dam it

Hoot RC for Local Supplies > www.hootrc.com.au
Me_MrTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:47 AM   #34233
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
Sorry Peter, that won't kill it off. Some people are just plain too bloody minded to see sense! You and I are both dedicated Tekin users but know that what you have said about the BD is absolutely the truth. Convincing some though.......

Trev
Bloody minded yes but i am a stickler for rules. What is the point in having rules if people can selectively ignore them.
And when people are telling me i have no sense or am an idiot for being able to correctly interpret an english sentence i dont appreciate it.

I do not believe i have ever said that having a slot on the receiver pack on the esc is a bad. In fact, i hate having to lift the shell and disconnect the receiver pack everytime i race.

I have not said the BD is bad, i use tekin but the tekin defeinitely has advantages and disadvantages (ie the need to have a computer on hand to tweak it everytime and being overly complex to tune).

All i have been saying is that that BD does not fit into the rules. Whether that is a case of the rules need to be written is not my fault. ROAR as opposed to AARCMCC are usually more progressive in rule changes so perhaps this is something that will change in the near future.
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #34234
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
Bloody minded yes but i am a stickler for rules. What is the point in having rules if people can selectively ignore them.
And when people are telling me i have no sense or am an idiot for being able to correctly interpret an english sentence i dont appreciate it.

I do not believe i have ever said that having a slot on the receiver pack on the esc is a bad. In fact, i hate having to lift the shell and disconnect the receiver pack everytime i race.

I have not said the BD is bad, i use tekin but the tekin defeinitely has advantages and disadvantages (ie the need to have a computer on hand to tweak it everytime and being overly complex to tune).

All i have been saying is that that BD does not fit into the rules. Whether that is a case of the rules need to be written is not my fault. ROAR as opposed to AARCMCC are usually more progressive in rule changes so perhaps this is something that will change in the near future.
The full version of the AARCMCC rule 3.1.7 is:

"A receiver battery pack must only supply power to radio receivers for its operation and the control only of addition equipment listed: speed controls, servos and transponders for their operation. No other devices will be powered from a receiver pack."

This can be interpreted in different ways. Nowhere does it say that the Rx pack can only be plugged into the Rx. It does say it "must only supply power to radio receivers" but does not say that it can't be via anything else. If it is interpreted in the way that would make the BD illegal it would also make voltage regulators illegal! (Reading it again voltage regulators may be illegal whatever way it is read as they are powered from the Rx pack.)

To me this is a badly written rule that can be interpreted too many different ways i.e. more than one. The BD could be legal or not legal depending on how this rule is read. And of course the wording of the rule is not your fault but you could approach your organisation and ask for clarification of the rule.

From what I have read of the ROAR and BRCA rules (I won't list them here) there is no problem with the legality of the BD.

I'll keep on using my Tekin in my 12th, and be happy for my friends to use their BDs.

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:26 AM   #34235
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Remember when this thread was about 12th scale, and not Tekin vs. AE BD?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #34236
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_MrTyson View Post
BLS651 spec's

Length: 1.42 in (36.1 mm)

Width: 0.59 in (15.0 mm)

Height: 1.10 in (27.9 mm)

just short dam it
I just checked my JR Z3650 and that would fit (32mm) but you would also have to check positioning so the shaft is in the dead centre of the car.

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:45 AM   #34237
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Nothing wrong with trying to interpret the rules by to the letter but also common sense sometimes needs to be considered. As said above, when you plug a life direct to your receiver, it is then also directly plugged into the esc.

Now lets consider people who use a Lipo receiver battery and a regulator. Then the battery is not directly plugged into the receiver. Would you DQ someone doing that if teching an event? All the BD is doing is giving you a regulator built into the esc. What about people running boosters? no battery being plugged directly to receiver then. You saying this isn't legal?

I believe the rules mean nothing unless someone with proper knowledge who can use discretion and good judgment can interpret them. Even F1 can't release rule that aren't open to interpretation.

You could probably continue this for another 3 pages but it is no longer helping people who read this thread increase their knowledge of 1/12th scale racing. Time to let officials from ROAR, EFRA and even our little AARCMCC decide whether we can use our BD's or not. At least till now its been considered ok.

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #34238
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just want someone to give me $50 to learn the hard way!

One thing the Tekin does have going for it is its size. I have got to admit that the smaller foot print gives you more flexability in where it goes, although pretty much everyone runs the same setup (regardless of ESC) anyway.

On the topic of regulators and the BD's BEC connection... Both of these allow the use of a 7.4 volt lipo which should in theory allow far more options for Rx packs. However I have had very little success finding small lipo packs for this use. SMC had one that was very close to perfect but still a little big. Anyone else managed to find something nice?