R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-28-2016, 12:43 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: 1/12 forum
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: fenton06
This is a place to share knowledge related to 1/12th scale racing. It is not to be used for conversations.

KITS:
Click links to go to manufacturer product page. If any are missing please add them!

TIRES:
Pre-mounted tires readily available in the US:
Pre-mounted tires readily available in the Europe:
  • Hot Race ??

Gluing your own donuts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm7z1rz-74s - Special thanks to Edward Pickering!
Truing tires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wqHOLWq6Uc - Special thanks to Edward Pickering!

The following information came from HERE, with some editing and information added. Thanks Christian!

THIS MAY NEED UPDATING FOR THE NEW BLACK CRC CARPET

Brands:
BSR, CRC, Jaco:
Pro One is no longer selling to the public, but it and the brands above are all mounted by BSR and use the same foam. The nomenclature of the BSR vs Jaco/CRC is a little different in a few instances but is otherwise the same. The BSR foam consists of three families, and can be identifed as synthetics, naturals, and blends.

Synthetics - The old school, light weight, easy to true "dry feeling" tires. These include tires like CRC/Jaco Yellow (BSR White), Black, Gray, etc. These tires offer the highest wear rate and lowest grip. Many racers continue to use these nder high bite conditions.

Naturals - These tires are usually the best alternative for low bite and asphalt. They include Pink, Magenta, Double Pink, Lilac (BSR Team Purple), Purple, and other tires. These tires provide a ton of grip, but tend to get sticky in high bite conditions. This rubber does not wear as easily, and the cars will pick up gunk and fibers from the carpet under most high bite conditions. This is especially bad if the humidity is high.

Blends - These are the tires most people run today. They were initially called "JFT foam" by some, as it was believed that the tires were the same as the JFT tires. We can divide the blends further into two groups: high rubber and low rubber content. The high rubber would be the new rear Orange and Red from the BSR family, and the low rubber would be the Green and Blue varieties. When, asked about the difference, John Foister from BSR Tires said they came from the same "family" of foam, but they offered different grip. According to John, the Green/Blue has more bite than Orange/Red, but from track testing Oranges offer more bite than Green (being equivalent to in hardness) when the grip is high and absolutely no grip when it is lower. The Orange foam has a denser pore structure and the tire is not as prone to chunking. It is also important to note is that BSR Blue rears are not the same as the BSR Blue fronts!

JFT:
JFT stands for Japan Foam Tire. They started the new wave of foam tires we are all using now (Blue/Blu, Green/Greene, Dbl Blue, etc). These tires are a little different than the BSR tire family, but work in very similar conditions. They offers four varieties A (asphalt), C (carpet), S (???), and R (???). This does not mean that those types only work on that surface, but this is what they recommend.

JFT uses the same foam for fronts and rears if the color is the same.

A: Used on asphalt, considered close to the natural rubber variety and are named consistently with other natural tires.
C: Used on carpet, considered a blend.
S: Used on carpet?, tires are ???
R: Used on carpet?, tires are ???

For setup, the JFT foam seem to generate more bite than the BSR, therefore the car tends to be a little more aggressive.

Ulti:
Ulti is another Japanese brand that offers an array of compounds. They have their own way of rating tires, and are difficult to equate to other brands. They have 4 different varieties, each in varying degrees of hardness.

J: High rubber content tire, similar to Pink/ Magenta. Soft would be close to a pink. These offer the most bite and are great for asphalt/carpet front tire. (J hard being very popular)
X: "Balanced" blend, similar to JFT Blue/ Green. Soft is equivalent to Green, medium to Blue in hardness. Great for carpet!
Y: High synthetic blend with lower grip, and is not a very popular variety.
Z: A very expensive "special" foam that is supposed to be magic on asphalt. Only make it in soft shore.
European tires:
There are many great European foam tire brands that use their own types of foam, as well as traditional foams. SOmeone with more knowledge about them will need to fill this in!

Tire Diameter:
If you are racing on carpet, you have to evaluate how much grip your track has. If your track is low to medium grip, you can run bigger tires. If you are on higher bite you have to cut them smaller, there is simply no way around it. Bigger tires are needed for asphalt, especially in the rear. The larger tires provide much needed lateral bite.

Carpet (mm):
Low - Medium Bite
Front: 42.0 - 42.5
Rear: 42.5 - 43.00
Medium - High Bite
Front: 40.5 - 41.0
Rear: 41.5 - 42.0
Big Race
Front: 39.5 - 40.0
Rear: 40.5 - 41.0
Asphalt (mm):
Parking Lot
Front: 43.0 - 44.0
Rear: 44.0 - 45.0
Prepped High Bite
Front: 42.0 - 43.0
Rear: 43.0 - 44.0

Tire Saucing:
Most facilities have moved towards odorless traction additives such as SXT. Some of additives evaporate very quickly and some do not. This seems to be something that is also dependent on tire compound and ambient temperature. For example, saucing a Green compound seems like it never dries, especially when tjhe temperature is lower. We have found that wiping the tires off 15 minutes before we go run allows the sauce to cure, which makes the car come in much quicker with Green rears. Blue compounds on the other hand, do fine when wiped off right before hitting the track.

Saucing half front and full rear is a good initial starting point. If the front of the car is too agressive you can sauce les than half, or for a shorter amount of time.
Tire Fuzzing:
In conditions of increasing grip, foam tires will somewtimes get sticky and pick up fuzz and debris from the track. This is highly dependent on the rubber sedan tire that is being run at your local track and the compound/ type of foam you are running on you car. The softer the sedan tire and the harder/higher rubber content in your foam tire, trouble with fuzzing seems more likely to occur.

There are ways to get around fuzzing under most conditions, and usually involves the selection of the correct foam compound. The more fuzz you get, the softer/lower rubber content you want to run.

Examples:
Problem: Car fuzzes with Lilac/Team Purple fronts and car starts pushing.
Solution: Use a softer front tire and or different family of foam. Replace it with Blue or Double Blue front.

Problem: Car loses rear bite 6 minutes into the run. Blue rear tires look almost clean but have small carpet hairs.
Solution: Use Green rear tires. The softer compound wears instead of getting sticky, minimizing fuzz.

Tire Selection:
Starting out, pick 2 tire compounds for the front and rear. The following should have you covered 99% of the time.

Front - Green and Blue (BSR) or Green and Light Blue (JFT)
Rear - Blue and Double Blue (BSR) or Blue and Dark Blue (JFT)

You may wonder about other compounds out there and if they might be better, trust me, they probably won't be. Even if there are other tires that can be as fast, the synthetic family wears out really fast and the high natural rubber will probably fuzz on you over an 8 minute run. The blends family seems to be the most versatile foam type available today. They last awhile, and sticking to them will make your process of tire selection simpler.
Tire Charts:
BSR/CRC/Jaco

Contact

Corally

JFT (Japan Foam Tire)

Ulti

Enneti (Xceed)

ELECTRONICS:
ESC:
As of now, ROAR is staying 1S (3.7V nominal; 4.2V fully charged) for 1/12. There are many 1S ESC's with a built in BEC so nothing else is required to power the receiver and servo.

If you don't want to lock yourself into a 1S specific ESC, you do have other options! It is possible to use your 2S ESC without a booster or receiver pack, and the ESC simply supplies the lower voltage. If that does not appeal to you, you will need to use an Rx pack or booster. The Rx pack and booster will both supply the receiver with a higher voltage than the 1S pack.

If you decide to use an Rx pack, MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE RED WIRE FROM THE ESC PLUG THAT GOES INTO THE RECEIVER!!!

If you choose to use a voltage booster, it works exactly how it sounds. Instead of plugging the ESC into the receiver, it plugs into the booster, and the booster plug goes to the ESC, supplying the higher voltage.

1S ESC:
If there are any missing please add them!!

If anyone would like a need for a chart comparing the ESC's specs PM fenton06 and I'll get one made and put in here!
Voltage Boosters:
If there are any missing please add them!
Servos:
BODIES:
Black Art (CRC - US Dist):
  • Audi R8C - BA002 - .020 Thick

• Black Market (Mohawk 12) - BA005 - .020

• Lola B10 - BA006 - .020 thick
  • Toyota TS030 - BA008 - .020 thick

Lola - black/red, TS030 - green/pink

PROTOForm:

Reflex Racing/RSD:

SUSPENSION ADJUSTMENTS:

Print Wikipost

Old 03-01-2003, 05:57 PM   #2476
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

MattW- how is the overall racing scene there? Are you guys seeing a downturn in general? TC and Offroad are down here on the racing scene and for most of the U.S. Nitro is seasonal (spring/summer/very early fall) so that about 6mos of the year is done on indoor carpet. This is becoming more and more the thriving place for 12th scale with lots of people buying and even switching from their TC's to 12th scale due to its inherit benefits.

The LHS's really fight this because they make more money off of TC parts vs. 12th parts and often will tell people that 12th is dead or increasingly more they tell them that 12th is for advanced drivers.
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 11:43 PM   #2477
Tech Rookie

that sucks you only get six months to run nitro. here in socal i get nitro year round except for the OCCASIONAL rainy day
monkey27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 03:03 AM   #2478
Tech Apprentice

Default trinity switchblade

hey matt! how you doin! u comin up to us lads at chestrefield for the grand prix? cant wait!
at the moment i race a calandra carpet knife, and was inquiring about a trinity switchblade for next season, what are your thoughts on this car? alot more people frun them in the uk, and there is only about 5 of us that run the knife.
i really like the look of the new trinity, has anyone got any pics of theres that i can admire? or does ne1 kno of a good place to find pics of them on the net? I NEED A NEW BACKDROP! lol

MattW, andys are still up 4 lending us those batteries, thank god! maybe you will have a bit of luck this time and make the A, u certainly deserve it.
thanks guys!
MattR
rice98w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 12:39 PM   #2479
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Louis, Yes i deal direct with them, as far as i know they will deal with all. I get whatever i want next day. I am running RW 64 dp spurs at the moment. I have run Corally ones but was stripping them, Kimbrough are also as good as any, they seem to be able to take quite a bit, although i haven't actually run one myself, i have one on my spare axle/diff, but haven't needed it as i have had the same gear on for the last 4 meeings.

Darnold, At the moment T/C is still the dominent class in the UK. Off rd has hit a downturn, and from what i hear it could be even worse this year, but we will only know for sure in a couple of months when the Season starts. I keep hearing that nitro T/C is going to be real big this year, but again not sure, although i have heard of a ocuple of Electric drivers that are switching totally for this season. One class that seems to be on the up is 1/8th off rd, although it hasn't quite made it as big as electric.

MattR, Yes i am coming up to the GP weekend, should be a good laugh. I was getting really P***** off last tiem out with dumping every run, might still have made it if i hadn't had problems during the last run on both days, but there you go!! Some much needed capacity it defenetly welcomed though!!
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:22 PM   #2480
Tech Regular

Thanks Matt, I'll give them a go, I need some spare spurs and other parts anyway.

Over here racing is not big and it's a slightly different story to mainland UK. 1/8 Nitro Off-Road is growing, Nitro turcks are popular, Pro-10 is dead (canceled last year), Electric TC is popular but declining now, Electric Off-Road is getting more popular and 1/12th is pretty much the same as it has been for years.
LouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 05:53 PM   #2481
Tech Regular

In Toronto:

Oval - Popular last year, dropped when the big carpet track dropped oval, now its coming back

Electric Touring - Popular, but much less than last year, especially when people realise it scosts a fair bit to run it

Nitro touring - hard to say, its popular, but it only runs in the summer. There is more nitro coming when the indoor track adds a parking lot track, but we will see how that pans out

12th scale - growing fast. A few guys ran it about 3 months ago, and when I saw them, I decided to get a 1/12 instead of a new TC. A lot of other people are switching as well, in the last month, about 3 guys have bought 1/12 cars. Theres a big race down the highway, about an hour outside TO, and theres about the same number of entires in 1/12 as in foam stock touring.

I love to see more people joining 1/12, even though I only have 3 races on my car, I love it already.
RC Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:26 PM   #2482
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Switch Blade
Unhappy confused

im really made after i stripped 5 screws on my revolver today...LHS gave me a crappy screw driver(handle very small...no leverage)...i asked if it would work, and they said yes....but a few days later 6 screws were stripped...now i can't access the motor mount and have no acces to a dremel to make a slit on the screws and back them out with a flat head(LHS probobly will do it ) anyways how do u put ball cups on the ball studs????do u have to press them to the side and then turn them up onto the top...or do i just press them to the top????thanks
Old 03-02-2003, 08:44 PM   #2483
Tech Master

Location: Time to put down the Golf clubs and poker chips and GO RACIN!
Send a message via AIM to Bigtbone
Default Help

This is a special thanks to David Lee and the others who helped me with questions on my 1/12th, The diff is as smooth as anything i have ever had.. I raced at "The Track" Yesterday and had a blast.. man 8 minutes is a long time.. should have tried it long time ago..
Bigtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #2484
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

any idea how where I can order the New Corally 12th scale (if its out already)? Im planning to get into 12th scale racing here but no one carries the Corally car - actually its all 12L3s over here. Is there a good online shop you guys know that i can take a look at and that ships to Asia? Oh, and one last thing, considering there wont be any parts support for me if I do get my hands on one, what parts are most likely to break so I know what to stock up on if ever. Thanks and hope to hear from you guys soon.

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 08:03 AM   #2485
Tech Fanatic

Mr. BigTBone - you are very welcome. The help is free. I was at The Track Sunday for some running with my 1/12 cars. Had a good time. I see Mimi is really putting the clamps on everybody that shows. The toll to leave the building is pretty steep. I have some new stuff from IRS you might be interested in. My tests on the 1/12 yesterday proved they are ready to go.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 12:19 PM   #2486
Tech Master

Default Goodies??? I like goodies..

David-- What you got???
Old 03-03-2003, 01:50 PM   #2487
Tech Fanatic

Mr. BigTBone - hey, what is this Ohio State Buckeyes stuff? Really.

Anyway, IRS has an upgrade for the dynamic strut suspension that fits on any Associated based chassis layout. It has adjustable camber rate, roll center and reactive caster rate to go along with the typical caster and camber. IRS also has some dampening tubes that double with tweak adjusting springs so you don't have to adjust the tweak or your car with set screws on the tee-bar.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:56 PM   #2488
Tech Fanatic

Oh , I forgot to mention the standard stuff about differentials. IRS has a large ring differential for the 1/12 scale cars that uses a pin for the rings. Naturally, that means 3 bolt hubs, both right and left. The left hub is clamping style so you don't have problems with the nut, setscrew and shims on the left side. IRS has a large D-ring design in the works so look for that soon. Then there are the aluminum pivot balls for tee-bars and in the strut suspension. These parts are hard anodized and teflon coated. The IRS aluminum antenna mount can also be used on a 1/12 scale, doubling as the front mount of the center shock.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:20 PM   #2489
Tech Master

David,

What? you DO not recognize the OHIO STATE FOOTBALL PROGRAM? you must be from That school up north...

Yes!! I am a crazed OSU Alumni...

I have the large diff ring set up.. It is the smoothest diff I have ever seen...
Will you be at the track this saturday?
How does the antena mount differ from the stock one on the carpet knife?

I am not sure which front end I have I think it is the new style.. Is this new stuff just easier to use or does it alow the car to perform better?
Old 03-03-2003, 06:16 PM   #2490
Tech Fanatic

Mr. BigTBone - I am an old Boilermaker. I know about the Buckeyes. I remember going to a game and Woody coached. We have/had good teams, too. And we had a great game between us this past season. I was picking the Buckeyes in that game with Miami. I am glad the Buckeyes won, because that gave credibility to the mighty Big Ten conference. But then your team sort of messed up my basketball team this year. Both men's and women's. Oh well.

All the parts have something to do with performance. The pivot balls and king pins have less slop but smooth action from the stock Associated parts. You got the differential so you know about that. The caster block assembly gives the added adjustability that the Associated system doesn't have. It all adds up and its all good.