R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 10-28-2016, 12:43 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: 1/12 forum
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: fenton06
This is a place to share knowledge related to 1/12th scale racing. It is not to be used for conversations.

KITS:
Click links to go to manufacturer product page. If any are missing please add them!

TIRES:
Pre-mounted tires readily available in the US:
Pre-mounted tires readily available in the Europe:
  • Hot Race ??

Gluing your own donuts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm7z1rz-74s - Special thanks to Edward Pickering!
Truing tires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wqHOLWq6Uc - Special thanks to Edward Pickering!

The following information came from HERE, with some editing and information added. Thanks Christian!

THIS MAY NEED UPDATING FOR THE NEW BLACK CRC CARPET

Brands:
BSR, CRC, Jaco:
Pro One is no longer selling to the public, but it and the brands above are all mounted by BSR and use the same foam. The nomenclature of the BSR vs Jaco/CRC is a little different in a few instances but is otherwise the same. The BSR foam consists of three families, and can be identifed as synthetics, naturals, and blends.

Synthetics - The old school, light weight, easy to true "dry feeling" tires. These include tires like CRC/Jaco Yellow (BSR White), Black, Gray, etc. These tires offer the highest wear rate and lowest grip. Many racers continue to use these nder high bite conditions.

Naturals - These tires are usually the best alternative for low bite and asphalt. They include Pink, Magenta, Double Pink, Lilac (BSR Team Purple), Purple, and other tires. These tires provide a ton of grip, but tend to get sticky in high bite conditions. This rubber does not wear as easily, and the cars will pick up gunk and fibers from the carpet under most high bite conditions. This is especially bad if the humidity is high.

Blends - These are the tires most people run today. They were initially called "JFT foam" by some, as it was believed that the tires were the same as the JFT tires. We can divide the blends further into two groups: high rubber and low rubber content. The high rubber would be the new rear Orange and Red from the BSR family, and the low rubber would be the Green and Blue varieties. When, asked about the difference, John Foister from BSR Tires said they came from the same "family" of foam, but they offered different grip. According to John, the Green/Blue has more bite than Orange/Red, but from track testing Oranges offer more bite than Green (being equivalent to in hardness) when the grip is high and absolutely no grip when it is lower. The Orange foam has a denser pore structure and the tire is not as prone to chunking. It is also important to note is that BSR Blue rears are not the same as the BSR Blue fronts!

JFT:
JFT stands for Japan Foam Tire. They started the new wave of foam tires we are all using now (Blue/Blu, Green/Greene, Dbl Blue, etc). These tires are a little different than the BSR tire family, but work in very similar conditions. They offers four varieties A (asphalt), C (carpet), S (???), and R (???). This does not mean that those types only work on that surface, but this is what they recommend.

JFT uses the same foam for fronts and rears if the color is the same.

A: Used on asphalt, considered close to the natural rubber variety and are named consistently with other natural tires.
C: Used on carpet, considered a blend.
S: Used on carpet?, tires are ???
R: Used on carpet?, tires are ???

For setup, the JFT foam seem to generate more bite than the BSR, therefore the car tends to be a little more aggressive.

Ulti:
Ulti is another Japanese brand that offers an array of compounds. They have their own way of rating tires, and are difficult to equate to other brands. They have 4 different varieties, each in varying degrees of hardness.

J: High rubber content tire, similar to Pink/ Magenta. Soft would be close to a pink. These offer the most bite and are great for asphalt/carpet front tire. (J hard being very popular)
X: "Balanced" blend, similar to JFT Blue/ Green. Soft is equivalent to Green, medium to Blue in hardness. Great for carpet!
Y: High synthetic blend with lower grip, and is not a very popular variety.
Z: A very expensive "special" foam that is supposed to be magic on asphalt. Only make it in soft shore.
European tires:
There are many great European foam tire brands that use their own types of foam, as well as traditional foams. SOmeone with more knowledge about them will need to fill this in!

Tire Diameter:
If you are racing on carpet, you have to evaluate how much grip your track has. If your track is low to medium grip, you can run bigger tires. If you are on higher bite you have to cut them smaller, there is simply no way around it. Bigger tires are needed for asphalt, especially in the rear. The larger tires provide much needed lateral bite.

Carpet (mm):
Low - Medium Bite
Front: 42.0 - 42.5
Rear: 42.5 - 43.00
Medium - High Bite
Front: 40.5 - 41.0
Rear: 41.5 - 42.0
Big Race
Front: 39.5 - 40.0
Rear: 40.5 - 41.0
Asphalt (mm):
Parking Lot
Front: 43.0 - 44.0
Rear: 44.0 - 45.0
Prepped High Bite
Front: 42.0 - 43.0
Rear: 43.0 - 44.0

Tire Saucing:
Most facilities have moved towards odorless traction additives such as SXT. Some of additives evaporate very quickly and some do not. This seems to be something that is also dependent on tire compound and ambient temperature. For example, saucing a Green compound seems like it never dries, especially when tjhe temperature is lower. We have found that wiping the tires off 15 minutes before we go run allows the sauce to cure, which makes the car come in much quicker with Green rears. Blue compounds on the other hand, do fine when wiped off right before hitting the track.

Saucing half front and full rear is a good initial starting point. If the front of the car is too agressive you can sauce les than half, or for a shorter amount of time.
Tire Fuzzing:
In conditions of increasing grip, foam tires will somewtimes get sticky and pick up fuzz and debris from the track. This is highly dependent on the rubber sedan tire that is being run at your local track and the compound/ type of foam you are running on you car. The softer the sedan tire and the harder/higher rubber content in your foam tire, trouble with fuzzing seems more likely to occur.

There are ways to get around fuzzing under most conditions, and usually involves the selection of the correct foam compound. The more fuzz you get, the softer/lower rubber content you want to run.

Examples:
Problem: Car fuzzes with Lilac/Team Purple fronts and car starts pushing.
Solution: Use a softer front tire and or different family of foam. Replace it with Blue or Double Blue front.

Problem: Car loses rear bite 6 minutes into the run. Blue rear tires look almost clean but have small carpet hairs.
Solution: Use Green rear tires. The softer compound wears instead of getting sticky, minimizing fuzz.

Tire Selection:
Starting out, pick 2 tire compounds for the front and rear. The following should have you covered 99% of the time.

Front - Green and Blue (BSR) or Green and Light Blue (JFT)
Rear - Blue and Double Blue (BSR) or Blue and Dark Blue (JFT)

You may wonder about other compounds out there and if they might be better, trust me, they probably won't be. Even if there are other tires that can be as fast, the synthetic family wears out really fast and the high natural rubber will probably fuzz on you over an 8 minute run. The blends family seems to be the most versatile foam type available today. They last awhile, and sticking to them will make your process of tire selection simpler.
Tire Charts:
BSR/CRC/Jaco

Contact

Corally

JFT (Japan Foam Tire)

Ulti

Enneti (Xceed)

ELECTRONICS:
ESC:
As of now, ROAR is staying 1S (3.7V nominal; 4.2V fully charged) for 1/12. There are many 1S ESC's with a built in BEC so nothing else is required to power the receiver and servo.

If you don't want to lock yourself into a 1S specific ESC, you do have other options! It is possible to use your 2S ESC without a booster or receiver pack, and the ESC simply supplies the lower voltage. If that does not appeal to you, you will need to use an Rx pack or booster. The Rx pack and booster will both supply the receiver with a higher voltage than the 1S pack.

If you decide to use an Rx pack, MAKE SURE TO REMOVE THE RED WIRE FROM THE ESC PLUG THAT GOES INTO THE RECEIVER!!!

If you choose to use a voltage booster, it works exactly how it sounds. Instead of plugging the ESC into the receiver, it plugs into the booster, and the booster plug goes to the ESC, supplying the higher voltage.

1S ESC:
If there are any missing please add them!!

If anyone would like a need for a chart comparing the ESC's specs PM fenton06 and I'll get one made and put in here!
Voltage Boosters:
If there are any missing please add them!
Servos:
BODIES:
Black Art (CRC - US Dist):
  • Audi R8C - BA002 - .020 Thick

• Black Market (Mohawk 12) - BA005 - .020

• Lola B10 - BA006 - .020 thick
  • Toyota TS030 - BA008 - .020 thick

Lola - black/red, TS030 - green/pink

PROTOForm:

Reflex Racing/RSD:

SUSPENSION ADJUSTMENTS:

Print Wikipost

Old 10-07-2002, 02:58 PM   #1561
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by RC Nitro
I have a questuion on bodies. I just bought a used 12L, but I need a body for the car. What do you guys recomend for an on-road body.
TIA
The Hotbodies Toyota GT1 body looks great! lots of downforce, handles extremely well. Haven't tried the Protoforms Speed 8 LMP but I want to get one. Should handle just as good.
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:34 PM   #1562
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

TK- Thanks. Have you talked to Billy since last Sunday?

Everyone- well i said that i would give a race summary so here it is:

The track was similar in layout to last years but an extra revision in the mid-section changed made things much slower from last years track. Basically it flowed but had three somewhat technical sections to it that you needed to get right or you could lose some time. One was the end of the 110ft. straight where a decreasing radius 180 was at but you didn't want to turn in early and hit the corner because all of the major corners had concrete round weights in them. Many a chassis was destroyed but it's something that the 12th scale crowd up there is use to so no real biggie. The second tech section was the transition in the middle of the track to the far end, it was easy to overdrive that part or turn in too soon and if you were on the short side in height depending on were you stood on the drivers stand you could really not see the 180 down there to start you into tech section three which was a 90-180-180-90 back onto the straight. It was easy to get too loopy in there and loose some time. There were two days of open practice (Thurs./Fri.) with the first qualifier Fri. night. Wintergreen based Traction compound (Paragon) is banned from this place so most used either TQ 8+, TQ Mod, or the Corally Jack the Gripper stuff although i think Team Trinity may have also used Zip Free but i can't say for sure. It was all mute since the black groove of traction was down by Thurs. night and some peoples cars were traction rolling by Fri. afternoon. However even though there was plenty of traction there were some differences from this type of traction some noted and high traction with Paragon. It seems that Paragon makes a little more "slimmy" type of high traction that i guess actually can make the cars slide a little and then grab thus promoting even more traction rolling where as non-wintergreen citrus based high traction seems to be really tacky. Most agreed that the traction was similarly high to Cleveland which means that it was very valuable warm-up practice. Another point that Josh noted was that the track had a tendency to make your car start off with steering and half way through a run start making the car push so you had to be prepared and adjust your turn-in points accordingly.
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 12:06 AM   #1563
Tech Fanatic

Oktoberfast Race report CONT:

Early on all of the TC Mod's looked fast like they always do. i found myself running a lot with them but none of the guys running 12th mod seemed to get on the track until Fri. afternoon so it was hard to tell how things were really going. One of the local guys from here came just to help out Jucha and Timmy and was amazed at how fast the cars were and just how well you have to be prepared in order to do well.

On the equipement front 3300's were pretty much the dominant battery used with SMC, TRINITY, WORLD CLASS, and REEDY's all being used. Just about everyone i talked to loved them and they seem to hold there numbers well thus far so this is a real boom for us. Did people dump? A few did in 12th mod once or twice and more did in TC Mod. Generally people were able to go as fast as they had motor to go without fear. That is except for the "Airplane Missile sounding motor" of Josh's new D5 motor in 12th mod and Blackstock's Reedy Ti motor. They could go soooooo fast, especially Josh that if they ran all out they could dump...just that is. They actually still had enough to come home really soft which by top standards is still dumped.
Mark Adam's who was last years US Triple Crown 12th stock winner now is factory Assoc./Reedy and he was fast also along with Fantom/CRC drivers Mike Pulfer and former 12th scale World Champion Chris Doseck. i know that hot 9triples were run some and i suspect some 8's were as well. i ran a mild 9 triple so dumping wasn't an issue for me. One or two others in the "A" ran 10's and most of the locals ran 10-11's. Trinity and Fantom had their motor gurus there and it showed but Reedy did a good job sending stuff with Mike Blackstock and Mark Adams and they were in both mod "A's" (12th and TC) with Mike being TQ i think in TC Mod. Fantom had 3 guys in TC Mod i think, Reedy had three (congrats Dave Kershner), and Trinity filled in the rest i believe. In 12th mod (yeah!) only Josh ran for Trinity and the guy TQ'ed and WON! Fantom had a great showing with 2 or 3 motors in the show with Reedy having 2 plus an off the shelf Reedy Ti in Mitch's car (yeah right! LOL!!) and Speedworld/Luna Ti's had me with Corally getting a motor in with Mo Denton. i'm not sure what former Finnish National 12th champ Yari ran nor Woody.

The track required lots of bottom end as well as lots of mid and top end and you could loose 2-3 car lenghts down the straight which is probably about .2 tenths a lap. If you were down in any area you knew it and depending on how your powerband was it could affect how you had to drive your car. TC's because of the 6cells may have this as less of an issue but since i don't run them i can't say for sure.

All of the 12th mod "A" main cars were t-bar cars and as usual in stock many seemed to be mono-ball cars although Mike P. won stock with the same car i think that he raced mod with (CRC 6pack).

Tires seemed to be purple fronts and gray rears. i tried magenta fronts Fri. afternoon and it was a little much by then but that's on the Trinity car which has ton's of steering. i think Doseck may have tried double pinks (Jaco's equivalent i believe) on his Trinity car in the first qualifier but i'm not sure. Everyone else that i talked to for 12th scale mod and even stock ran purple/grays. Jaco's, TRC's, and TM's were all i saw for brands.

Well that's all for now, i'm tired.- D.A.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:15 AM   #1564
Tech Regular

Nice job there DA, Thanks for the info.
RC Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 12:46 PM   #1565
TRL
Tech Apprentice

Post darnold

I was just wondering what bodies everyone was using was it parma or protoform speed 8??

thanks
TRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 12:55 PM   #1566
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I tried the Parma Speed 8 -- didn't care for it.

I'm going back to the trusty Protoform P35.
TeamGoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:22 PM   #1567
Tech Rookie

Default OctoberFAST

Hi Guys,
Hey Dave, I just wanted to comment that Mark Adams drives a SpeedMerchant Rev.3 in 12th scale modified. He did get picked up by Reedy/Asc. for motors and TC3 stuff. I believe he still runs PowerPush batteries also. He ended up 2nd in 12th Modified behind Josh in his very first outing in the modified class after winning the Triple Crown last year in Stock. Personally I thought his car looked awesome in the main, but he just didn't have that insane HP that Josh had on the straight. Hope everyone has a nice afternoon.
Rev.3 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:42 PM   #1568
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Ohhhhhh nooo say it ant so that Dave aka "Tigger" gave out misinformation......whats the world comming to who will I turn to now to give the the correct information on everything and anything.......Im going to go find a corner to hide in now b/c this has just crushed my little world that THE Dave Arnold is and was misinformative. How will I ever recover form this smashing blow to all that I know as true??????????

Thanks Rev 3 Racer you just ruined my day........
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:52 PM   #1569
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

I just noticed that Tigger also left out a key part of information that he had a "racing incident " with Josh and cost him the lead for acouple laps close to the end of the race. What would have happend if this would have really cost him the race if he was in a tight battle for the lead????? This is one to ponder for the ages and one to keep razzin Tigger about.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:17 PM   #1570
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dragon, sorry to hear you won't make Cleveland. you're missing one helluva show!! is TR going? how about Larry?

Tigger, what about this "racing incident" please do tell.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:31 AM   #1571
Tech Fanatic

Kev- WOW... i knew that i shouldn't have listened to you about what Mark was driving and just looked for myself. LOL! On the incident, i moved over off the throttle at the wrong spot just before the chicane thinking Josh would be able to blast by because i didn't want to hold him up in any way. i should have gone through and then gone wide i the next corner, bad mistake on my part.

Bodies Used- Most used Parma's Speed 8 with some using the Proto P35 and Bentley. i think Mitch and Yari used P35's in 12th Mod but don't remember anyone else doing so there. In 12th Masters James Arnold used the ole' P35 and there may have been others. The Parma Speed 8 seems to be pretty prolific due to it's characteristic extra downforce/aggressive steering combination.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:48 PM   #1572
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

The new Yokomo MS-1 1/12th scale bodies are available now. Also, the YRX-12WE will be arriving towards the end of this week.

Thanks

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 04:20 PM   #1573
Tech Regular

I'm just back from my 2nd 12th scale race, it finished at 11pm and was one of the most fun race nights I've had. I rebuilt my diff and damper the day before with really soft syrup but the biggest difference was the servo, I had to get a new one so I got a Hitec 225 MG, it's all I need as a beginner
Basically after a slow (careful) first round, a second round where the screw came out of the servo saver I did a 50 lap final round and got 4th on the A-final grid (including several crashes)
The final was even better, I managed to do some very quick laps and ended up in third place with 53 laps (1+2 had 54s)
I like this type of racing, the length and the precision seems to suit my driving style That was the last warm-up race, the season starts in 2 weeks and I'm really looking forward to it
I hope it'll improve my driving in other classes
LouisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:06 PM   #1574
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to mike5009

louisb it will help your driving skills ten fold. i started with touring car then bought a used carpet knife and i was hooked. like i said if your off a little on your touring game the 12th scale will sharpen your skillz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mike5009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:18 PM   #1575
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon Slayer

Darnold.....congrats on the A-main

Socko.....dont know about TR,Larry........I'd like to make the Snowbirds atleast!!!!!!!!
Dragon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote