Wiki Posts
Search

How balanced is your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default How balanced is your car?

I am just wondering how balanced everyone's cars are. Using four scales I am able to get my car balanced side to side and front to back but the weight is not the same on each wheel. It's actually kind of weird, my front left and rear right are almost exactly the same and the front right and rear left are almost exactly the same.

Anwyway, how does your car balance?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

My pan car is within 3 grams left to right and about 35% front 65% rear.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

What kind scales work good for balancing your car?
Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Truck_Buster
What kind scales work good for balancing your car?
I bought four of these.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowcel
I Using four scales I am able to get my car balanced side to side and front to back but the weight is not the same on each wheel. .... front left and rear right are almost exactly the same and the front right and rear left are almost exactly the same.

My car balances the same way. Good side to side. Front left/Rear right and front right/rear left are approx. the same.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Car Balancing

I am just wondering how balanced everyone's cars are. Using four scales I am able to get my car balanced side to side and front to back but the weight is not the same on each wheel. It's actually kind of weird, my front left and rear right are almost exactly the same and the front right and rear left are almost exactly the same.

Using 4 scales as I imagine you are using is a very poor way to try and balance your car. Unless:
  • Balance pan of all 4 scales are exactly the same height
  • Tire diameter is exactly the same for all four tires (and they are perfectly round)
  • Shock length is exactly the same for each pair of shocks
  • Spring pre-load is set exactly the same for each pair of shocks
  • Hinge pin heights are exactly the same height relative to the chassis for each pair of left/right arms
  • The chassis is not warped
  • The shock towers are mounted such that the shock mounting holes are exactly even from left to right
  • etc., etc., etc.

Do an experiment. Put your car on the four scales. Now, without changing the location of components or weights, turn one of the shock collars a few turns. The weights shown the scale will change dramatically, but you did nothing to change the balance (weight distribution) of the car. Or you could try replacing one of the tires with one of slightly different diameter and get the same results. Or even just rotating one of the tires 180 degrees will change the reading on the scales if the tire is not perfectly concentric with the axle.

If you want to use scales, use just 2 of them on one end of the car. Support the other end of the car with a Hudy style balance stand placed in the exact center (side to side) of the chassis (or support with the pivoting end of tweak stand). Now do the same experiments with the shock collar and/or tires. If you did not disturb the support location on the end of the car opposite the scales, you will find the scales change very little and are a much better indication if you need to redistribute, remove, or add weight. Repeat the process after flipping the car to the other end. If you make changes to the weight distribution, you may need to repeat the process until you drill down to an acceptable tolerance.

Mark
Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

That is a perfect description of "tweak"--the heaviest front will turn harder in that direction.
FWIW
Tim
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by timmig
That is a perfect description of "tweak"--the heaviest front will turn harder in that direction.
FWIW
Tim
What's weird is on the hudy tweak station it shows that the chassis isn't tweaked. I've got to rebuild my car tomorrow since I broke the chassis last Sunday so I am going to try to get it better balanced.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

The weight may be equally distributed in your car yet the pressure on the ground may not. That is because of spring loading. Disconnect all shocks and try again.

The scales should read equal values.

If they don't, then your last resort is to check your uptravel. If it's all equal, you've got a tweaked chassis.

If everything checks out, make sure your shocks are equal length then reconnect everything and load the springs a bit at a time, keeping an eye on the scale readings.

Later edit:

I knew I was a slow typist. Two posts above you can find a more detailed explanation. I wouldn't worry about all that fine detail though if the weight difference was within scale tolerance.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

I ve got the same with my cyclone, I was sure the chassis was done for but I checked on my spare car whihc is a WCE and had the same distrbuation problem- Front left/ Back Right 400g and then front right/ back left 350g. TBH I did not believe that the motor corner could be so light so stripped down ect even change chasssis,shocks etc.

Its a bit of a probelm with a new 1350g weight limit in the uk, I am about 1440g if I want a balenced chassis.