Wiki Posts
Search

Why NO Top Shaft Tourers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Why NO Top Shaft Tourers?

before i start i want everyone to know im new and i actually own a schumacher MI2 so i drive a belt driven car but i have always liked the simplicity of shaft drive cars i was going to buy a pro 4 but found out that the chip crown teeth. so i bought the mi2 which has proved indestructable ask any one in the meakin park forum (australian) my car has had some bad knocks.

but i still like shaft cars. the tb evoIV seems to be the pinacle then the new FT TC4 and the ageing pro 4 but apart from the TC4 and possibly the EVO 5/V
shaft drives are dead or dieing why?
i thought a shaft drive would suit stock racing and spec class's due to being instant power?
what are the draw backs are they heavier?
i mean suspension wise (i think) the cyclone and pro 4 are almost the same?
so why have shaft drive car came and died?
whats wrong with more acceleration and more simple workings no stretching belt no tensioner about all u do is shim the diff every once and awhile.
please tell me the difference i mean marc reihnard in an interview said he had no interest in shaft drive cars. why are people so against shaft cars??

i have not ment to insult any cars (ageing pro 4 just got an 05 model) and am not saying belts arnt as good but some rivalry would be interesting?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Shaft driven cars are extremely popular in Japan for 23T racing. I have 3 shaft driven cars and 1 belt driven cars. Shaft driven cars are quick, better response, and has more torque than belt. Shaft driven cars are not heavier. I weight both my EVO4 and TRF415MSX and the EVO4 weights 10-15 grams less. I like shaft driven cars too.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Suspended

This is going to get ugly...shafties getting belted....proceed
Old 04-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamHomies
This is going to get ugly...shafties getting belted....proceed
or it might be belties getting shafted depending on the POV of the reply and the result at this years worlds
Old 04-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

two words...torque steer,shaft cars have torque steer which makes them a handful in mod,belts are smoother,and in general faster

long story short:BELTS ARE BETTER
Old 04-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ford_racing
or it might be belties getting shafted depending on the POV of the reply and the result at this years worlds
Ummmmmmmmmm.........I dont think there was one in the top twenty @ the pre-worlds, good looking out for the shafties...
Old 04-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Shaft drive cars were better when there was less power involved. With the new battery technology allowing for people to now run 6 turn mods instead of 9 turn mods the belt drive tcs are proving to be faster because the drive train is smoother. There is not as much support for the shaft drive tcs either right now. Go out and compare the teams of x-ray/losi to the likes of ae in the tc market.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm not sure how much of an effect it has on handling, but shaft driven cars are known to have torque steer because of the way the motor is positioned. In belt drive cars, the torque exerted by the motor is put in the same direction as the car is driven.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Belt cars are easier to drive....

I've owned both belt drives (a schumacher) and shaft cars( currently have a pro4).

You're right about the general lower level of maintenance. I got so sick of killing belts in the schumahcer i swore to myself i'd get a shaft car.
Yes.. shaft cars accelerate better, brake more instantly, are easier to maintain.

But belt cars are generally more forgiving to drive. Not only in terms of torque steer, but in terms of balance (Think old xray evo, losi JRsx, old pro2/3, rc lab car as extreme examples..).
But also in terms of being forgiving to more brutal and sudden throttle application, brake and even crashed.

Many drivers find it hard to drive smoothly at a high level and a belt can help absorb little inconsistencies.

Crash in a shaft car and you can almost bet the drivetrain shock will kill a gear. Do the same in a belt car, and the belt stretch, or skips. Sparing the gears.

i LOVE my shaft drive because of the direct power and simplicity, but i won't pretend that it's as easy to drive as a belted equivalent. simple belt stretch make acceleration feel so much smoother in a belt car on track.

I hate to admit, i was racing regularly then i'd probably swap to a belt car.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Just get a Tommy Kramer Edition LCG Yokomo Sd... it's magic
Old 04-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

its like digging up the ol' grave, shaft vs belt....

why dont you ask Surikarn first?
he's the latest world champ driving EVO4 in 2004 for Tamiya Squad, I didn't know whether today Tamiya still afford Evo4

I have 2 shaft car, and 1 belt car,
IMO shaft car has more efficient drivetrain than belt car, then suitable for stock 27T or 23T, acceleration is blast from the start, while belts typical are 'very slghtly noticable lag' on acceleration

its like two side of coin,

this nature of solid drivetrain, gear to gear contact, give and instant response blessing, it could be good or bad, its then depends on our nerve and finger

on other side any impact on front/rear wheel will be transmitted throughout drivetrain component, and then weakest item will break or bend, usually diff gear (ask Pro4 owner..) then drive shaft.

in same condition, instead of transmit, belts will absorb most of the impact energy > more 'forgiving'

Last edited by Faiz; 04-18-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have crashed quite a bit in my Pro4, and although my bevel gear in my oneway is metal, I have not come close to shredding my smaller bevel gear. I have, however, destroyed a knuckle amd c-hub quite a few times.
-Josh
Old 04-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

I think, its normal on casual crash, both on shaft or belt are normal to break C-Hub or knucke on kind of losing front end and hit the wall,
Cyclone which is belt drive (use carry over Pro4 c-hub & knuckle) also prone to cracking knuckle on crash.

what my point is on frontal crash at speed with 4 wheels gripped on ground, this kind would severely damage drivetrain parts on shaft drive rather than belt drive,
Old 04-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have been always been a shaftie for many years starting with TC3, TC4, Pro 4, Yok SD. like they said shaft cars have torqe steer, And a lot harder to drive on slippery track.

But since I got my self a Belt Car ( YOKOMO BD ) I have been driving more consistent than I have ever been, Car is faster, smoother, a lot more forgiving. Now I'm stock with belt cars I guesse. just my 2 cents.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think one of issue of shafty is, the chassis is generally more rigid than belt car. As the chassis is less-flex, the mech grip on low traction surface is lower than flex chassis, said belty. And frankly you cant make a shafty chassis flex, unless your central shaft design can take all those flex without damange the gear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.