Search
Like Tree17Likes

Sweep Racing Tires 1/10th Sedan thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Humyu
Hi, looking for new tires interested in sweep. Can recommend for outdoor asphalt medium bite, a bit dusty,temp around 32C.

Thanks
try Sweep QTS 32

Last edited by SammyZ; 01-26-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Conrad
Which compound do you recommend for indoors on low to med bite carpet without additive?
try Sweep QTS 28 (green)

Last edited by SammyZ; 01-26-2011 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
try Sweep EXP 32
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
try Sweep EXP 28 (green)
Neither of those actually exist, so that may be tricky.

You can get 28R and 32R, QTS28 and QTS32, or EXP30 and EXP36.

32R work very well on low grip asphalt.

Last edited by daleburr; 01-26-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

oops your right, mixed up the model names, fixed!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cheers, I take it most people run full profile hard inserts on carpet then?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Conrad
Cheers, I take it most people run full profile hard inserts on carpet then?
I'm running the EXP30 Kitty Rugs, which have a light weight low profile wheel insert. They work pretty good. Even the yellow wheel versions have the soft low profile pink inserts, and they work well on the rug, too! Most of the Sweep ready to run wheels have either the pink soft or the aqua medium inserts.

Last edited by Buckaroo; 01-26-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have some questions reguarding the inserts. Actually I know nothing. I am getting a better handle on my car, traction, and track surfaces as I am racing and practicing more. I LOVE the Sweep EXP compounds and I understand the shores (30 & 36) and what to expect on traction and wear and tempeture as far as the tires go (thanks to previous posts) Please help me understand all the inserts now. For example on the pre-mounts, why are we using the yellow rim'ed 30's with the soft inserts on asphalt and why use the white rim'ed 30's with the lightweight inserts (kitty rug) for indoor carpet with low traction. What do all the insert options do for handeling and tire wear? I obviously get the pre-mounts Sweep recomends, but have no idea why I am using them
Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Once you move beyond premount tires, playing with inserts will open a new world of racing for you.

The easiest way to deal with inserts is to think of them as different air pressures related to a real car. Some tracks that are silky smooth and very high grip will best suited for a firm insert. Other tracks that are bumpy or loose will work best for a soft insert. Also a soft insert will make the the tire flex more, therefore building up heat. The insert of the material will affect the weight of the wheel and the heat retention. A soft insert with a lot of air gap will make the sidewall roll over more, therefore, more camber is needed to compensate. See how complicated this quickly becomes.

We ran a mod race in NC last year and was noticing the car getting airborne on the straight over some slight bumps. Although it had extremely fast last times, it was a bear to keep straight under full acceleration. We switched from the Sweep aqua inserts to the light blue and picked up 2/10 per laps with a smoother handling car.

Now we travel and do some quick testing for each track with:
Carpet: EXP30 with pink, light blue and aqua
Outdoor Asphalt: EXP36 with pink, light blue and aqua

Lately, the light blue inserts seem to be our favorite for most situation. We use the light blue for our baseline and go from there.

Also, please note: The inserts have to match your spring rate and shock oil. We usually run our cars very stiff with stiff shock oil. We then compensate with a soft insert where needed.

Unless you have the skills to be very consistent and to notice the small differences between insert performance, best to leave it alone. Otherwise, you can really screw up the handling of the car.

Originally Posted by Green Machine!
I have some questions reguarding the inserts. Actually I know nothing. I am getting a better handle on my car, traction, and track surfaces as I am racing and practicing more. I LOVE the Sweep EXP compounds and I understand the shores (30 & 36) and what to expect on traction and wear and tempeture as far as the tires go (thanks to previous posts) Please help me understand all the inserts now. For example on the pre-mounts, why are we using the yellow rim'ed 30's with the soft inserts on asphalt and why use the white rim'ed 30's with the lightweight inserts (kitty rug) for indoor carpet with low traction. What do all the insert options do for handeling and tire wear? I obviously get the pre-mounts Sweep recomends, but have no idea why I am using them
Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Team B&B
When you say you use stiff oil and springs with a soft insert how stiff do you go?
Can you give us an example?
E.g. Tamiya 2 hole 50 weight with blue spring?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamB&B
Once you move beyond premount tires, playing with inserts will open a new world of racing for you.

The easiest way to deal with inserts is to think of them as different air pressures related to a real car. Some tracks that are silky smooth and very high grip will best suited for a firm insert. Other tracks that are bumpy or loose will work best for a soft insert. Also a soft insert will make the the tire flex more, therefore building up heat. The insert of the material will affect the weight of the wheel and the heat retention. A soft insert with a lot of air gap will make the sidewall roll over more, therefore, more camber is needed to compensate. See how complicated this quickly becomes.

We ran a mod race in NC last year and was noticing the car getting airborne on the straight over some slight bumps. Although it had extremely fast last times, it was a bear to keep straight under full acceleration. We switched from the Sweep aqua inserts to the light blue and picked up 2/10 per laps with a smoother handling car.

Now we travel and do some quick testing for each track with:
Carpet: EXP30 with pink, light blue and aqua
Outdoor Asphalt: EXP36 with pink, light blue and aqua

Lately, the light blue inserts seem to be our favorite for most situation. We use the light blue for our baseline and go from there.

Also, please note: The inserts have to match your spring rate and shock oil. We usually run our cars very stiff with stiff shock oil. We then compensate with a soft insert where needed.

Unless you have the skills to be very consistent and to notice the small differences between insert performance, best to leave it alone. Otherwise, you can really screw up the handling of the car.
Thank you!!! This must be the most thorough answere to any question here on RC Tech. (and probabally the most drawn out question for that matter ) I do have one more though The EXP inserts. They offer soft, medium, and light weight. Is the light weight like a "super soft" or something or ? Does the light weight give "the lowest air pressure possible" tire response?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Mike Haynes - Sweep Driver wins Snowbirds

First of all.
Big congratulations to SweepUSA racer Mike Haynes for winning the Expert Touring Car (17.5 open ESC) class at the recent Snowbirds. Mike got better and faster each of the four qualifying rounds to eventually take the TQ position in the 4th round from some very, very, very fast and consistent racers. Although the spec tire was the Jaco Blue, this race shows how Mike can methodically adapt his setup to increase performance.

Originally Posted by Lees52
Team B&B
When you say you use stiff oil and springs with a soft insert how stiff do you go?
Can you give us an example?
E.g. Tamiya 2 hole 50 weight with blue spring?
It is impossible to use someone else's setup for your driving style, track conditions, etc. Both of our XRAY T3 have 2 hole in front and 3 hole in rear. We vary from XRAY 500cst to 700cst. For example, Paul Lemieux XRAY uses 3 hole all the way around. He varies the oil front to rear.

Also, different manufactures holes in the piston are different sizes. The disc to shock body clearing causing blow by is different.

We use zero rebound in our shocks with a flat bladder up top. We use to use the Tamiya black bladders, but now XRAY has the similar.

Also, the Sweep tire/insert combination also acts as a shock/spring. Therefore, all the different combinations come into play. Lots of testing, luck, and more testing.

Originally Posted by Green Machine!
Thank you!!! This must be the most thorough answere to any question here on RC Tech. (and probabally the most drawn out question for that matter ) I do have one more though The EXP inserts. They offer soft, medium, and light weight. Is the light weight like a "super soft" or something or ? Does the light weight give "the lowest air pressure possible" tire response?
The light blue inserts are actually a firm sponge type material. It is light weight and is not affected by temperature and humidity. It is wide to give sidewall support and thin to give more air gap. We like it because it gives the tire the first few millimeters of compression a soft ride, then stiffens when pressed hard under braking. The wide insert gives the cornering support.

... and all this changes between 1st run tires (where there is lot of rubber to add more stiffening) to 6 run tires which are thin.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Smile

Hello racers !!

Sweep tires are restocked at TQ RC RACING.

We have indoor carpet race track located in Chino, CA.

For more information, visit www.tqrcracing.com

You can buy online or at the shop.

Click Here to check out the sweep tires

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Tech Rookie

What do you recommend for outdoor asphalt,dirty and low grip?
Air temperature,now about 15ºC, in summer about 25ºC. I'm from Spain.
Now use Lrp Vtec 30x in my T3, after 5min they are about 45ºC
Thanks!!

Last edited by dc_xray; 02-08-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dc_xray
What do you recommend for outdoor asphalt,dirty and low grip?
Air temperature,now about 15ºC, in summer about 25ºC. I'm from Spain.
Now use Lrp Vtec 30x in my T3, after 5min they are about 45ºC
Thanks!!
The 'R' series of tyres are great for low grip asphalt; the higher profile generates more lateral grip. I'd try 32R now and maybe 36R in the summer.

These tyres also last forever so they're great for club racing.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks daleburr. I doubt between 32R and EXP30.
The web day "Temp range : 10~30deg.C" (EXP30).This is asphalt temp or air temp?And what is the temp range in 32R?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.