R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 05-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #181
Tech Elite

Last weekend FEMCA race was with Sweep tyres 32 QTS as a controlled tyres. The grips are very good and lasted to the finals.

So I wanted to try the EXP one for outdoor asphalt. My LHS carry 30 and 36 EXP. My Track temp is usually higher like 40-45deg celsius. But sometimes we race at night too when the track temp is around 20-30 deg celsius. I need advice on which inserts to use if I wanted to use the 30 and 36EXP tyres.

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #182
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We re Back in the office, all shipping and email apply will be done, ASAP
Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #183
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
Last weekend FEMCA race was with Sweep tyres 32 QTS as a controlled tyres. The grips are very good and lasted to the finals.

So I wanted to try the EXP one for outdoor asphalt. My LHS carry 30 and 36 EXP. My Track temp is usually higher like 40-45deg celsius. But sometimes we race at night too when the track temp is around 20-30 deg celsius. I need advice on which inserts to use if I wanted to use the 30 and 36EXP tyres.

Thanks.
Selecting the right insert is a major part of your chassis tuning. The best approach is to run the 36EXP and test both the aqua and light blue inserts. Your final selection will depend on the track surface, spring and shock oil, and your driving style.

If time or cost is an issue, then the aqua insert is a safe bet.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #184
Tech Elite

Thanks TeamB&B, will try it out soon.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #185
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Old 05-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #186
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The ls insert seems to make the car a bite edgier (more steering) at the cost of rear bite, the mediums are more stable, the ls is my preference as it seems to let the tires wear very evenly and run well. My car is pushy by nature so it is the perfect fit, if you have a chassis that steers alot, the medium will likely be better suited.

Last edited by Mike Haynes; 05-20-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Mike Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #187
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just ran my QTS 32's tonight for the first time and noticed I have a groove wearing in the inside of the tire next to the side wall. It is a outdoor asphalt track with sugar water for traction. My camber was 1.5, and track temp was about 65 degrees. What is the cause of this? New to running outdoor asphalt, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Traction was low due to the cool weather.

Last edited by bmcallister; 05-19-2010 at 11:43 PM.
bmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #188
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcallister View Post
Just ran my QTS 32's tonight for the first time and noticed I have a groove wearing in the inside of the tire next to the side wall. It is a outdoor asphalt track with sugar water for traction. My camber was 1.5, and track temp was about 65 degrees. What is the cause of this? New to running outdoor asphalt, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Traction was low due to the cool weather.
I'ts called THE RING OF DEATH bmac.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:26 AM   #189
Tech Master

You're cooking the tyres, maybe if you have your setup for warmer temps, it may be too stiff for the lower traction.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:42 AM   #190
Tech Rookie

Default EX, LHS or QTS

What is the difference between the EX, LHS and QTS series of tyres and what would be the most suitable for medium grip carpet racing (Air temps 15 - 20 degrees C)? At the moment I'm using RP24's but find that they don't have that much grip to start off with and then go off even more by the end of the race.
Graham Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #191
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
You're cooking the tyres, maybe if you have your setup for warmer temps, it may be too stiff for the lower traction.
So how does that groove form in the tires? I would think they would blister if I were getting them to hot? Does it occur from tires sliding across that asphalt? I need some suggestions, these were the first night of racing on the tires. This could get expensive quick!
bmcallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #192
Tech Addict

You might have too much camber causing the tyre to run on the inside edge through the corner, your -1.5 degrees of static camber shouldn't be too excessive though so I think your setup is giving you some camber gain when you're in the corner, you can check this by simply pressing down one side of the car to check if the top of the wheel moves inward towards the car, if you do have camber gain when the suspension compress then maybe you should set you static camber to -1.0