Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Glimpse at the future of "STOCK" Racing? >

Glimpse at the future of "STOCK" Racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sorry this is so long, but I want to chime in here. I haven't raced in 10+ years (am coming back now) but when I read these threads it's like I never left.

In the late 80's, as a young guy (20 or so) I gave up on racing my RC10 because I couldn't afford the expensive 'reds' (cr NiCads IIRC), nor could I afford a Novak ESC, and my 12T smoked my Futaba ESC (112B IIRC? ). So, I was gone from the hobby because only people who could/would spend more money than I could were competitive.

Then I came back to the hobby as a gainfully employed adult in the late 90's. I was paying guys at the track to cut and dyno tune motors, I was going through multiple sets of tires in a weekend, I had well over $10k in stuff between chargers, PSUs, radios, cars, motors, etc. etc. I had a ball, and I was a regular in the 'A' main in most club events. I wasn't the best driver, but I was ok, and rarely was there a car better than mine on the track.

But, at the same time there was the group of kids and other novices who were frustrated by the same things I was frustrated about 10 years before. They would come into the hobby, and 9 of 10 of them would be gone, and quickly. Sometimes 10 of 10.

Now today, it's the same issue from what I'm hearing, except the technology is different, so now it's programmable ESC's that are at the forefront, not tuned motors and batteries. Same zebra, different stripes. It has always been this way. It will always be this way.

In my opinion there is only one real answer, and that is pure spec racing. Find a decent RTR that has easy parts availability and is cheap, and have a class for it. No mods at all in any way. Even pick a spec tire. This is the class for these novice hobbyists people talk about. Don't allow anyone who races in any other classes to also race in this class (race director's discretion: idea is to prevent vets from running, not hinder moving up). All will have fun. A few will get more serious and move on to other classes. Many won't. That's just how it is.

I believe that Novak (among others) have the bests interests of the hobby at heart, but this exact same conversation has been going on for over 20 years. Does anyone really think a new ESC is going to fix it? Come on.

The bottom line is this: there is a relatively small cross-section of people who play with RC cars and trucks who are ever going to be serious enough to spend the time and money (and more money) that it takes when you decide to take racing even semi-seriously. That's just reality. Coming out with a non-programmable ESC isn't going to change that. What's needed is a real avenue of entry for driveway basher types, and a new ESC isn't going to provide that.

---

side note: I do think that what Novak (and others it seems now) is doing with this stuff is right on the money for what we call 'stock' class racing...keep it up! I'm just saying that IMO it's great, but it is not a solution to The Great Unanswered Question, which is 'how do we get new faces to join and keep on racing.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

The Tamiya Championship Series is about the best, longest lasting spec racing I've seen.

It can be done. But it can only be done by a single manufacturer - ROAR can't be baised like that. So don't look to ROAR for the "spec class" answer.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
I'm waiting for ... "talent in a can".
It exists. We have Junior Norton talent in a can at our track. It is bitter tasting and makes you feel like crap but it is effective. You just have to consume a lot of it for it to make you great.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
In my opinion there is only one real answer, and that is pure spec racing. Find a decent RTR that has easy parts availability and is cheap, and have a class for it. No mods at all in any way. Even pick a spec tire. This is the class for these novice hobbyists people talk about. Don't allow anyone who races in any other classes to also race in this class (race director's discretion: idea is to prevent vets from running, not hinder moving up). All will have fun. A few will get more serious and move on to other classes. Many won't. That's just how it is.
So, you're basically saying we need a Slash for the on-road crowd. Only this time, something that multiple vendors can make (along with a common power package) that the hobbyist can bash on the street at home, but also race at a regular track. The HPI Flux 2 is close, only the powerplant isn't really useful if one decides to move up.

Something like a RTR VTA car (with a USVTA legal ESC/motor) would be a great start. They also need to come with some form of 2.4GHz radio so you can run more than 6 at a time without having to upgrade the radio immediately.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCHR
The Tamiya Championship Series is about the best, longest lasting spec racing I've seen.

It can be done. But it can only be done by a single manufacturer - ROAR can't be biased like that. So don't look to ROAR for the "spec class" answer.
Why can't they? The AMA ran a Harley Davidson Sportster 883 class in Nationals some years back. Just 2 years ago there was an AMA-sanctioned series called The Red Bull Rookie Cup, where all riders rode in Red Bull livery, and all rode identical KTM 125GP bikes. How is ROAR different?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

So, you're basically saying we need a Slash for the on-road crowd. Only this time, something that multiple vendors can make (along with a common power package) that the hobbyist can bash on the street at home, but also race at a regular track. The HPI Flux 2 is close, only the powerplant isn't really useful if one decides to move up.

Something like a RTR VTA car (with a USVTA legal ESC/motor) would be a great start. They also need to come with some form of 2.4GHz radio so you can run more than 6 at a time without having to upgrade the radio immediately.
I don't think it's necessary that there be multiple vendors, but apart from that, yes, exactly. The way to do it is to announce your intentions (ROAR I mean) to the OEMs and have them submit proposals for what the RTR car they'll spec out for this class would be, along with pricing, how parts availability would work, possible trade-up programs, whatever. Then the sanctioning body picks what they think is the best proposal, and that's who gets the class. If they want to avoid any possible appearance of impropriety, they could make all of the proposals public. This process is essentially a bidding process, so the OEM's are highly motivated to come in at a low price and provide a good car, because they want the business.

And ya, I think a RTR USVTA type car would be perfect, except not with the vintage aspect. It has to look modern and cool so kids will like it too. Speaking of that, I'd allow pretty wide latitude in bodies so that people can pick what they like.

Last edited by dietDrThunder; 02-04-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
In the same way companies ---all playing according to the same guidelines--- make motors that are faster than others.
I have seen no objective evidence that one company's motor, built according to ROAR spec guidelines, is any faster than another. I have read the "claims"; but, to my knowledge, no one has performed the double-blind testing necessary to confirm the marketing hype.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm waiting for "better drivers" and perhaps "talent in a can".
You know this already exists....

Old 02-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by robk
You know this already exists....

Wow, I thought that was the same as "Blowout in a Can"...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCHR

It can be done. But it can only be done by a single manufacturer - ROAR can't be baised like that. So don't look to ROAR for the "spec class" answer.
+1
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Watch modified on youtube.

R
Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why can't they? The AMA ran a Harley Davidson Sportster 883 class in Nationals some years back. Just 2 years ago there was an AMA-sanctioned series called The Red Bull Rookie Cup, where all riders rode in Red Bull livery, and all rode identical KTM 125GP bikes. How is ROAR different?
The 883 class had issues. It was NOT cheap.

Personally I think that if the manufacturers get together and create a set of rules for speedo parameters. Set a 2 year freeze on the speedo's and go for it.

Similar with motors. Freeze the current motors for 2 years and go for it.

ROAR will adopt the rules if they work out.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Fred_B
The 883 class had issues. It was NOT cheap.

Personally I think that if the manufacturers get together and create a set of rules for speedo parameters. Set a 2 year freeze on the speedo's and go for it.

Similar with motors. Freeze the current motors for 2 years and go for it.

ROAR will adopt the rules if they work out.
I was using the 883 class as an example of how an org can have a one-brand series...wasn't talking about how cheap it was.

As for the rest, in theory it might work, but it will never happen. A spec class can definitely happen if folks wanted it to.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I was using the 883 class as an example of how an org can have a one-brand series...wasn't talking about how cheap it was.

As for the rest, in theory it might work, but it will never happen. A spec class can definitely happen if folks wanted it to.
Spec racing isn't cheap. Stock racing isn't cheap. Modified racing isn't cheap... Seems like if we want more average Joe's to race it needs to be cheap and easy to handle for novices...

The number of bodies in the class is what rules...just ask the Manufacturers. Their money is in the numbers.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

How about sensorless esc's, and fixed timing motors?
As far as I know sensorless esc's can't have dynamic timing, which is the real issue with parity.
Or go back to silver cans which we still race in stock in NZ........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.