Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Gearing a Stock P2k or Big Jim Style MVP >

Gearing a Stock P2k or Big Jim Style MVP

Gearing a Stock P2k or Big Jim Style MVP

Old 03-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Gearing a Stock P2k or Big Jim Style MVP

I am looking into getting a good starting point for gearing a P2k and a Big Jim Style MVP ( narrowed brushes ) in a stock gearing TC3 ( 48 pitch gears ).

Big Jim says you may need to go up about 3 - 5 teeth over the P2k gearing, but I have never geared a stock motor before so I am at a loss.

Any ideas?
Old 03-25-2004, 04:14 AM
Tech Legend

Anyone?
Old 03-25-2004, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure if you just need to know how to gear the MVP compared to the P2K, or you need gearing info for both.

But general rule of thumb, is that your car should reach top-end at 2/3-3/4 of the longest straight.

If the motor is too hot after 5 minutes or the track is very tight, go one tooth lower on the pinion. Or if it's an open track, go one tooth higher.

It's important that the motor aint getting too hot.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:26 AM
Tech Addict

The guys that I race with use 24 to 26 pinions. I would start with the 24 and see how it goes. Last week a guy geared his monster stock with a t27 and smoked it. P2K can take it much better, but still start around 24 to see what happens. I have no idea what your track is like or your driving style.

David Root
Old 03-25-2004, 04:57 AM
Tech Legend

Our track has a long 96 foot straight on the back end and some quick change of direction turns.

My main issue with my driving style was that I was braking too much and coming too hot into the turns instead of letting the car float through them. This I believe was being very hard on the comm from what I was told by an XRay sponsored driver.

so 24 to 26 seems to be the range for a P2k. I will see about trying that. Going by what Big Jim says assuming he meant 48 pitch gears, I should be able to go between 27 and 29 teeth on the lowend, and 29 and 31 teeth on the high end for my Big Jim style MVP.

Right now I have a pinion range for the MVP starting at 28 tooth, I remember trying that and I felt I spooled up way too fast getting to max RPM. I will have to look about trying this out again.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Cain, Have you asked what gear ratio other locals are using?? You should......and then consult the manual to see what combo gets you to that figure. Then you can fine tune the tooth count up or down to get the max out of the motor. Keep in mind that after the monster came out....everybody started gearing lower to get some usable torque. Good luck with the MVP.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

if your running 72 spur run 24 to be safe.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Tech Legend

actually no one runs stock at my track. we run 19 turn class but I figured that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a stock motor in the box if I go and race at someplace that doesn't do 19 turn class or a trophy race. The P2k came in with the TC3, the MVP i bought new.

I will shoot for 24 tooth and work my way up from there. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2004, 07:25 AM
Tech Legend

man, what was associated using for there recommended stock motor gearing? getting recommendations of starting at 24, they say 28. Trust the racers!

Anyone have any more opinions or advice? I am going to go with 24 and see how it feels, most likely since I am running the big jim style MVP, I will have to go up to about a 26 or even 27, but I will start low first.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:57 AM
Tech Addict

Amen
Old 03-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It depends a lot on the size of your tires.

If you have rubber tires, I have had really good results with a 26 pinion with the mvp. Go up 2 teeth for the P2K. The p2k is the gold can motor, do not confuse this with the p2k2 which is black. If it is the p2k2, gear it the same as the mvp.

Good luck
Old 03-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Personally, I have been playing with Big Jim's recommendation of an MVP with narrowed brushes and have had zero success with it. I have gone through 10 sets of brushes and 2 motors tryng to find the correct gearing to where it will run with other motors like Big Jim states.
This is a very difficult motor to find the correct gearing on because there are so many vairables that will effect how it runs. It is extremely sensative to spurgear size and tire diameter...much more so than any other motor I have run.
With this motor, my fastest laptimes were over 1 second a lap slower than with a decent BS or Monster Pro and 1/2 second slower than my P2K2 times. In fact this motor ran so terribly hot that after 1-2 minutes it would die and was flat all over. When it got too hot I tried to gear down and the motor became even more of a slug. Big Jim does recommend that you use his icecube trick with this motor but I don't feel I should have too because you don't have to do it with any other motor.
In fact, I am faster with an MVP with normal size brushes.
I use a 100 tooth spur gear and gear the motor from a 15 tooth pinion to a 35 tooth with no luck.
I even call Team Paradigm to get their recommendations becuase they sell the MVP with the narrowed brushes and they said they really couldn't help me because they also have never had any luck with the motor and none of their team drivers have ever found a track where it was better than other motors.
Personally, I would not waste my time with the narrowed brushes on an MVP.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:51 AM
Tech Legend

Go Faster - were you running the narrow brushes the way Big Jim recommends?

koabich - that sucks. I have a P2k Pro gold can that seemed to have a lot of torque for the few passes I took with it. The MVP has really strong magnets though, so I am hoping to get mine to work. Will see how it goes.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:54 AM
Tech Legend

Koabich- What motor did you find to be the best all around? I heard the Monster is really RPMish and the P2k2 is better all around. I most likely will use the motor for touring and offroad if that helps.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The narrow brushes don't make it go faster, but supposedly it was to make it run cooler. I ran a full face brush and with that I was the fastest stock motor on the track. With that being said, I have had two more of the mvp's with not as much success. It usually temped at 175 deg. F when I pulled it off the track. It is just common knowledge that the MVP runs hot, but it does not damage it as it would a Trinity based motor. I just got a new binary stock motor from Team1 and I will try that out soon

Good luck

GoFaster

Last edited by GoFaster; 03-26-2004 at 03:30 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.