R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #121
Tech Master

I got my tires today.
I got 2 sets of inserts with it from TOP and disk wheels also from TOP.
Glued them and I hope to try them this Sunday.
The diameter is a bit smaller than The VTEC30 tires but they feel better.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #122
Tech Master

I drove yesterday with the Solaris medium TOP rims and Medium high grip inserts from TOP.
After 5 lipo's with a 13,5T the front tires started to wear down.
They were not reliable for 13,5T lipo.
I think that the hard are better but before I test them I will run Sorex 32 for the race.
I now that they can easily run 6 heads.
We have heats from 7 mints with the 13,5T class and the track eats tires.
The rims survived and I set the fastest lap with the tires but the medium is not the tire for the class were I'm driving in.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #123
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm getting 40ish runs on my mediums (on carpet) in 13.5. They feel great throughout the entire run.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #124
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to E.J. Evans
Default Spec Tire at Colorado Carpet Challenge

Announced a couple weeks ago, Solaris tires will be the spec tires for the Colorado Carpet Challenge

Race Dates: April 16-18.

Flyer here.

Solaris is happy to be a part of this race. Great track ran by good people.

Solaris Racing Products (SRP) Solaris Spec Tires!

www.solarisrp.com | www.apexhobbies.com | www.topracingusa.com
E.J. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #125
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Really Digging the Solaris tires on Asphalt.. We are getting 30+ runs on them.

Thanks EJ...
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #126
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

I bought a set of 'S' compound premounts on TOP wheels last Saturday for a carpet race based on reviews I'd seen on this thread.

Unfortunately, my experience wasn't a good one. I started off by cleaning the tires with DA, and ran some practice laps to scrub them in. I didn't run a lot on them [currently only have one battery], but they felt good, so I repeaked by battery, tried them out with some Paragon for a few more laps, then cleaned them with DA and treated with Paragon for the first qualifier.

A buddy of mine followed the same prep and we were in the same qualifier. Off the tone, the car was very fast, but this only lasted 6-7 laps. For the 10-12 laps after that, it was a big struggle with oversteer [losing lots of time], then, strangely, the handling balance started to return and the lap times started to come back, but nothing as fast as the first 6-7 laps. My buddy and I [running different chassis and different driving styles], commented on the SAME laps when rear grip went away, and again when grip seemed to return.

For the second qualifier, I thought maybe the Paragon wasn't agreeing with the tires, so I only cleaned with DA and put the car on the track. The car started off with a slight bit of oversteer, but felt alright, early in the run. Toward the middle of the run, the car alternated between super loose and barely making a corner depending on the lap, and then settled down again the last 2 minutes or so. My buddy switched to some Sorex tires and laid down a relatively solid run.

For the third qualifier I bolted on some used CS22's just to get a consistent qualifier in, which I also raced in the main.

I bought a set of mediums as well, but with the inconsistent handling the softs gave, they stayed in the package all day.

I'll give these tires a try on the outdoor asphalt track, and may give the mediums a run on the carpet just for testing, but so far, I'm not very satisfied.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #127
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. Evans View Post
Announced a couple weeks ago, Solaris tires will be the spec tires for the Colorado Carpet Challenge

Race Dates: April 16-18.

Flyer here.

Solaris is happy to be a part of this race. Great track ran by good people.
Thanks man.

I tested the softs and mediums and carpet, what I would call medium traction I guess, and definitely preferred the mediums. The softs felt like they got squishy too fast. The mediums take a while to come in, and then run pretty good for a while. They do groove up a bit along the insert, but it doesn't seem to affect handling or lead to premature tearing.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #128
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
I bought a set of 'S' compound premounts on TOP wheels last Saturday for a carpet race based on reviews I'd seen on this thread.

Unfortunately, my experience wasn't a good one. I started off by cleaning the tires with DA, and ran some practice laps to scrub them in. I didn't run a lot on them [currently only have one battery], but they felt good, so I repeaked by battery, tried them out with some Paragon for a few more laps, then cleaned them with DA and treated with Paragon for the first qualifier.

A buddy of mine followed the same prep and we were in the same qualifier. Off the tone, the car was very fast, but this only lasted 6-7 laps. For the 10-12 laps after that, it was a big struggle with oversteer [losing lots of time], then, strangely, the handling balance started to return and the lap times started to come back, but nothing as fast as the first 6-7 laps. My buddy and I [running different chassis and different driving styles], commented on the SAME laps when rear grip went away, and again when grip seemed to return.

For the second qualifier, I thought maybe the Paragon wasn't agreeing with the tires, so I only cleaned with DA and put the car on the track. The car started off with a slight bit of oversteer, but felt alright, early in the run. Toward the middle of the run, the car alternated between super loose and barely making a corner depending on the lap, and then settled down again the last 2 minutes or so. My buddy switched to some Sorex tires and laid down a relatively solid run.

For the third qualifier I bolted on some used CS22's just to get a consistent qualifier in, which I also raced in the main.

I bought a set of mediums as well, but with the inconsistent handling the softs gave, they stayed in the package all day.

I'll give these tires a try on the outdoor asphalt track, and may give the mediums a run on the carpet just for testing, but so far, I'm not very satisfied.
Hi Harry,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the tire. Sorex are definitely faster then our tires. Our tires are meant to be a spec tire formulated for overall good grip, longevity, and low cost. I'm not surprised to hear lap times are not as fast as Sorex. I am however baffled about the inconsistency. Where do you race? How is the traction on the carpet?

You can also always email me at solarisrp@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

EJ Evans

Old 03-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #129
Tech Regular

this weekend i tried the s compound and the h compound. both tires were veryy good.the h compound were awesome very consistent and had good grip like all have said.{way better then the xenons we run here in Florida} the s compound were a little faster but seemed to give up in the middle of a run. i believe they may be to soft . i tried these on asphalt.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #130
Tech Master

Quote:
Hi Harry,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the tire. Sorex are definitely faster then our tires. Our tires are meant to be a spec tire formulated for overall good grip, longevity, and low cost. I'm not surprised to hear lap times are not as fast as Sorex. I am however baffled about the inconsistency. Where do you race? How is the traction on the carpet?

You can also always email me at solarisrp@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

EJ Evans
This race was at the same track Stiltskin runs at, Debbie's RC World in Chesapeake, VA.

I'm really not concerned with what tire is the fastest. My primary concerns are longevity and consistency. To be honest, I'm not a consistent enough driver to make use of the "best" tire, but I am a good enough driver to know when the car isn't being consistent.

I appreciate the concern though, so I will send you an email, and maybe we can figure out what's going on.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #131
Tech Addict

Quote:
This race was at the same track Stiltskin runs at, Debbie's RC World in Chesapeake, VA.

I'm really not concerned with what tire is the fastest. My primary concerns are longevity and consistency. To be honest, I'm not a consistent enough driver to make use of the "best" tire, but I am a good enough driver to know when the car isn't being consistent.

I appreciate the concern though, so I will send you an email, and maybe we can figure out what's going on.
Hi Harry, longevity and consistency that's what we're after.

Shoot me an email and lets figure it out. We want to produce the best products we can and working with guys such as yourself will help us do it.

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #132
Tech Master

Quote:
Hi Larry, longevity and consistency that's what we're after.

Shoot me an email and lets figure it out. We want to produce the best products we can and working with guys such as yourself will help us do it.

Thanks!
It's "Harry" and email sent
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #133
Tech Addict

Quote:
It's "Harry" and email sent
My apologies! haha

Old 03-31-2010, 01:59 AM   #134
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to charlie_b Send a message via MSN to charlie_b Send a message via Yahoo to charlie_b

Quote:
My apologies! haha
EJ, any news on tires?
CFX Paintworks:="https://www.facebook.com/CFXPaintworks?fref=ts
|HITEC|PARMA|PROTEKRC|SWEEP|IWATA|RPM|AMAIN|CREATE X/WICKED/AUTOAIR PAINTS|TEAMASSOCIATED|REEDY
charlie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #135
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_b View Post
EJ, any news on tires?
Did you get me PM?