Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Thanks EJ I got the package
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #92
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
you guys finding any needed setup changes with these tires compared to sorex tires?
To me it felt like you might have to free the car up a tad more with these tires compared to a sorex.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #93
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

So does anyone answer emails at solarisrp.com? I tried sending an email several days ago and no response.
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #94
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigearhead View Post
So does anyone answer emails at solarisrp.com? I tried sending an email several days ago and no response.
I just spoke with E.J. a few days ago via email. Maybe you were overlooked. Try sending your email again. I think there are only two of them right now, so he may be a little overwhelmed at times.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #95
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Solaris tire testing follow up...

After my first carpet race on the Solaris tires, I decided to post some pictures and info to follow up on my previous post about my experiences with these tires.

I'll quote my precious post to clarify things..
Quote:
Anyone looking for a great set of tires to spec for touring racing in their area need to look no further. These tires are excellent.

I have been doing testing with the Solaris pre mounted tires for a spec class that I have started at my local carpet track. In looking for the best tire to spec, I wanted a tire that would fit the three categories I was looking for. Cost, performance, and wear characteristics. These tires exceed in all categories.

In testing, I was using a 17.5 and 13.5 motor. The pre mounts that I have been using are the "S" compound. The first thing I noticed after putting my car on the track was that, brand new, the tires were already working extremely well. The tires come with a pretty predominant molding line that I believed would make the car a little loose until the tires were broken in. But instead, this didn't seem to effect grip much at all if any with the Solaris tires. My car was on rails. Excellent response in the chicanes, and under full power in the sweepers the car would still steer if needed. Another thing about these tires are how consistent they are. Lap times in the beginning of a run all the way to the end are very close. With other brands of tires I've noticed either the car will feel excellent in the beginning and then the grip will start to fade. Or either at the start of the run there will be a push in the car until the tires come in. The Solaris tires are fast from the get go and keep their grip.

So I decided to torture them. When I say they have 15 runs, I should also point out these are not 5 minute runs, more like 10 minutes. So I put in a older 17.5 I didn't mind overheating and started running packs back to back. I ran three 5000mah lipo's down with no breaks accept for taping a new pack in. The tires kept their grip all the way to the end...near the 30 min mark they were starting to load up pretty bad but they were still gripping well, just starting to push some. No cleaning, no additional traction compound and the tires still worked very well.
I continued to run these tires on multiple cars and allowed some of the drivers at my local track to try them on their cars to see how well they worked before they purchased a set. Then this past Sunday I raced with the same set, 3 heats and a main in 17.5. So to be honest I'm not sure how many runs exactly I have on the same set, but it would be safe to say over 40, 5 min runs. I would describe the grip at my local track as being medium grip, so that may be a factor in longevity of the tires. But regardless, the maintained performance of these tires is amazing. First round I was sleeping and kept blowing out Drank a Mountain Dew and slapped myself a couple of times. Then I TQ'd in the 2nd round, and then reset TQ in the 3rd. In the main my car got loose all of the sudden, but I kept at it and finished 2nd behind my friend Justin who was also running Solaris tires. I had thought that maybe I finally reached the end point of the tires and was the cause of my car getting loose in the main. But after closer inspection later that night, I discovered that one of my rear wheel bearings had locked up with carpet fibers.

In the spec class all the guys were running the Solaris tires and everyone was happy with the performance. now they are just waiting for the cool rims to be released

So enough talking, time to back it up with proof Here are the heats from my first race on these tires, and also some pictures I've taken to document their wear from the beginning to their current state.

Brand new out of the package.
[IMG][/IMG]

After 10 runs. Note the molding line is still very visible...
[IMG][/IMG]

20+ runs
[IMG][/IMG]

40+ runs, What they currently look like...
[IMG][/IMG]

Heat 1 of 17.5 - The tire used by the driver is written in.
[IMG][/IMG]

Heat 2 of 17.5
[IMG][/IMG]

Heat 3 of 17.5
[IMG][/IMG]

Amain of 17.5
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #96
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Good !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #97
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to E.J. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
I'm glad you liked the tires!

Solaris Racing Products (SRP) Solaris Spec Tires!

www.solarisrp.com | www.apexhobbies.com | www.topracingusa.com
E.J. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #98
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Thanks for the post and the pictures Timmie! Fix that wheel bearing and get that same set on the track.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #99
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger View Post
Nice looking rims. Too bad the owner of that car is soo ugly
I wish I could see the look on your face this weekend when you put your snowboard boots on and find out they are wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro ho View Post
Me too, where can we get these bad boys EJ
Rims will also be sold separately. ETA mid to end of March.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #100
Tech Champion

Ran a set of soft compound on carpet today for 17.5 and mod. Total of 48 minutes track time plus practice. I ran the fastest lap of the day with my 17.5 car and it happened on lap 33 of 36. The tires felt like they were giving out, but the lap times didn't show any decline. LHS got 10 sets in and sold half during the day. No complaints and most preferred them over their previous tire choice. I was previously running CS22s or Sorex 24s. These tires offer a less aggressive feel but provide fast and consistent lap times. I can't wait to try them out on the new rims.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #101
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Our club has been looking for a spec tire to replace Jaco, and decided to give Solaris medium a shot (medium grip carpet). A bunch of people that had never tried the tires got a chance to run them in racing today, and the response was overwhelmingly positive. Lots of people commented on how their cars felt better than they do with blues.

If you've got an indoor track, and you're looking for a great premount, this is it.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #102
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. Evans View Post
I'm happy to hear everyone is liking the look of the new rims.

Here are some pics mounted.
ej, these look awesome.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #103
Tech Champion

Yesterday, I noticed that I had cracked 3 or the 4 rims so I tried to remove the tires by sitting them in acetone. Instead of breaking down the glue, the rims melted and the tires tore like paper. I was really hoping to continue using them. OH well. I'm still a believer. These tires work.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #104
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
Yesterday, I noticed that I had cracked 3 or the 4 rims so I tried to remove the tires by sitting them in acetone. Instead of breaking down the glue, the rims melted and the tires tore like paper. I was really hoping to continue using them. OH well. I'm still a believer. These tires work.
Hobby king has a good working glue remover.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #105
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Ohlsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Our club has been looking for a spec tire to replace Jaco, and decided to give Solaris medium a shot (medium grip carpet). A bunch of people that had never tried the tires got a chance to run them in racing today, and the response was overwhelmingly positive. Lots of people commented on how their cars felt better than they do with blues.

If you've got an indoor track, and you're looking for a great premount, this is it.
I ran the tires all day on Sunday in 17.5. I like them way better than the Jaco blue.

Maxim 39-There is a difference between spare parts and extra [parts]. From The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
Paul Ohlsen is offline   Reply With Quote