R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Schumacher SST '99 pro (and previous SST models...)

Hello everyone,

I was recently given an old SST ( first version) and it had all the precious hop-ups such as : aluminum motormount, front bulkhead, central one-way, titanum links... it also has the woven graphite top and under plates but I won't use these.

I am in the process of mixing this car with my box stock SST 99'pro which is by design A LOT more sexy, but had no hop up. I will eventually run it, of course.

SO !

please help me gather as many info as possible on these cars ( pre-mission 1 generation, ie all the cars that had the angled drivetrain).

I've already looked in the obvious places such as the Schumacher website, goooogle, my 4 feet tall pile of old magazines, but I want even more !

setups, pictures, ideas, advice, mods... ANYTHING, really.

thank you all !

Of course when it is done I'll post pictures, don't worry. I swear you won't be disappointed.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Tech Master

damn, can't suppress the typo in the title...
Old 01-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Tech Regular

i ran sst`98,99 and axis, really nice cars! durable, very good handling.. cant find any bad things with them exept the `98 that had alot of sloop everywhere, but all fixed with the `99 version

the axis is my all time favorite touring after the tc3
Hatebreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

One of my first touring cars was the Axis2

http://www.rcracing.com/Page.cfm?InfoID=1593
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Tech Master

funny, I was just reading this article a few seconds ago...

About setups, one thing that strikes me is the fact that all these cars tend to be used with the same 4 springs all around, and also with pretty heavy oil compared to what we see now ( maybe the shock/piston holes size and number cause this ? I don't know, I will try.)

Also, I am pretty curious as to how a pre-axis car would handle with a modern TC body ( instead of, say,a stratus) and 24 mm tires rather than 21mm which were the norm back then...
Old 01-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Tech Regular

i think i ran something like 40wt oil, cant remember how many holes open, and red and yellow springs

this was with rubber tires
Hatebreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In 98 and 99 we were running Proline S3's then Yokomo Hot Lap slicks. They were very sticky tires so the suspension tune was not as critical as today. Now the cars are faster with less sticky, more durable tires due to refiend suspension.

S3's were one run tires and I ran 80wt and 25lb springs all around on my SST99.

On my Mi3.5 I ran Take Off RP30's with 14lb springs and 35wt oil and the tires were fast for at least 6 runs in 13.5.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Wow the schumacher SST 98 my first 1/10 scale sedan.......that brings back some good memories. Guess that's why I still have a Schumacher on the Pit table today...
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:40 AM   #9
Tech Master

Thanks for your comments. I understand I'll start from not much to find a nice setup.Doesn't matter, half the fun ! Any ideas about shocks, with MM32 absolute or similar tires ? I was planning on something like 50wt, and grey springs.

Something that surprises me, is the lack of info on this period of Rc racing. I mean, you rarely see sanyo 2000 nicads on old pictures nowadays...

It is A LOT easier to find pictures of a tamiya sand scorcher or kyosho optimas, than late '90s cars.

I guess it is because it's not "old enough", but now that it is 10 years old ( already...wow !) I hope pictures will start to flow the net.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

As you might have guessed, the SST 99 Pro was my first real touring car. Its the car that gave me the bug so long ago. The biggest problem I had keeping it running was trying to find belts. Good luck with the project!
SpeedySST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've ran em all

Mod to save the belts: Cut open the plastic diff "covers". I believe the alu ones are open, so now worries if you are fitting those babies.

SST '98 and '99 is of my all time favorite cars
Old 01-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #12
Tech Master

stusdal, yeah the rear belt from the oldest SST seems to have suffered a lot...

Those from the '99 car are in a much better health, but still under the rear diff, the chassis is quite scratched from the inside My guess is that little rocks get "pinched" between the belt and the chassis, damaging both.

My car will run only on carpet so no worries, but I will for sure get out the big dremel sanding drum to allow a bit more room under the diffs.

Hope my english is understandable, my mother tongue is French

Any online forum/chatroom about these cars ?

This lack of pictures is killing me... But looking at my big pile of parts I get sweet ideas, maybe it will make the rejuvenation longer, but I think and hope it will be worth it.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree the amount of info on this era car is really hard to come by.
I have a 99pro still. My daughter runs it. I ran schuies for a long time. I had the 98,99,axis 1 and 2 ,and the first mission. I loved the 99 pro so much its the only schuie I kept. Schumacher usa still has some parts including belts and bumpers. When I have a chance Ill post pics and her current set up.
alienbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
In 98 and 99 we were running Proline S3's then Yokomo Hot Lap slicks. They were very sticky tires so the suspension tune was not as critical as today. Now the cars are faster with less sticky, more durable tires due to refiend suspension.

S3's were one run tires and I ran 80wt and 25lb springs all around on my SST99.

On my Mi3.5 I ran Take Off RP30's with 14lb springs and 35wt oil and the tires were fast for at least 6 runs in 13.5.
Hands down the best car of it's time. Best forgotten feature was the rear toe adjustment. There was no uneven rear toe unless you did it purposely. Nats at Ripon in 99 was so much fun with that car. I think we ran 100wt oil in the heat That's back when stock racing was fun and motor tuning and skill went hand in hand. Those days are long gone though
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
damn, can't suppress the typo in the title...
i fixed it for you
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote