R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #31
Tech Master

alienbiker, thank you very much for checking, and for your advice.

It is nice to know that the issue was and is still known, and that there are leads to cure at least partly the problem.

I must say however that I'm getting cold feet at the idea of countersinking the top plate and shock tower holders. I do have a drill press and 90 degrees bit, but I don't think I'll be able to find the exact countersunk equivalent of the 8 top screws that hold the whole car together, because they are non-threaded on the first half and this larger diameter of the screws helps centering everything.

And, even if I do find an identical (but countersunk ) model of screw, and even if I conutersink the holes perfectly straight and well-placed, still the screws you find at the hardware store are rarely very "true", the head is rarely well centered so It might in fact make things worse, after maybe ruining a perfectly good top plate and 2 upper arm/shock tower holders...

What makes me think that the "S1" material is the main source of this issue is this :

even when tightening all the screws very hard, you can still notice this ugly tweak when you twist the whole car. BUT you don't "feel" anything happening.

When i have this "memory " in my xray for instance, you can feel the "click" that indicates that something (bulkhead/top plate) has moved and is staying in the wrong position. If you unscrew,then tighten everything well, the car gets back to dead center every time you twist it and you get rid of the "click", it's elastic again.

SOOO, end of the monologue,before countersinking, I'll check with a CF lower plate and see how it improves-or not. I'll keep you updated.

Tell us what you find Alien biker !
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:34 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wasn't the Axis 2 designed to eliminate the tweak issue?

It had the 3 piece top deck connected by turnbuckles which meant the chassis couldn't remain tweak after an impact (as per link to the article posted earlier) I think the parts between the SST 99 and Axis are interchangable so you could look at using the 3 piece top deck...

However, this was used in conjuction with a bonded carbon composite chassis, but i believe the car was still too "flexy"...I do know that a company in the UK called Fibre Lyte (www.fibre-lyte.co.uk) did make a carbon version though (for this model and other older Scheuy cars) so definately check them out.

Good luck with your project
Chrissy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Im not familiar with the car (and cannot see the pictures well enough to see if they use them already) but would it be possible to add some cone washers to the screws that hold the upper deck on, and see if that helps with tweak?

maybe the length of the screws is something to consider too.

Good luck with the project!

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #34
Tech Master

Hey tc3, thanks for your input and thanks for bumping this thread up!

That's kool because I have info in order to update it. Your idea of coutersinking is smart and I considered it (cuz I'm smart too, hehe), but my experience tells me that it is not easy to countersink a hole in plastic or fiber, without a guide. The risks are: to make the bevel, at a slightly different angle than the screw head ( which I cannot measure, although I have found an appropriate model of screw, threaded only on the last centimeter or so), and of course to make the bevel slightly off the center of the hole, which would be dramatic for tweak and cause more problems than it solves. I could track down the appropriate coutersinking bit with a 3mm guide, but that is costly, time consuming and does not suppress the first risk, that of the angle. Simply not worth it, since the car will run 10 packs a year at best, and also considering nodody cared back then-the car worked wonders nonetheless. So I decided to stay with the stock hardware, only adding a strong an wide washer/shim ( what's the diff BTW?) under each screw head, to torque them in the aluminium diff cases which are sturdy. I will just unsrcew-rescrew them every now and then, that should be satisfying. I also have found a neat way of mouting the lipo batt, which I will show and explain with the soon-to-come pics.

Thanks again for your help and interest everybody !
Old 07-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #35
Tech Apprentice

Hi heretic.

The original SST was my first touring car, I then had the '99, the '99 pro and the 2000. I still have the purple anodized shocks from one of them (the pro I think). They are in great shape and work perfectly, I also have the spring tuning kit. I no long have a need for these, if you are interested in buying them, shoot me an email at chadh@airbornfx.com
Old 11-02-2010, 05:24 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default is this a schuey sst?

What am I? ID required on carbon on road car

Im trying to ID my newest onroad acquisition, does it look like a schuey to the informed?

I have no idea, mainly as Im an offroad guy

thanks for your help on this one
j33p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #37
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

No, definitely not a Schumacher.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #38
Tech Rookie

Default sst sport rear diff pulley and belt

Hi, I have just acquired an sst sport (at least chassis looks like the sport and not the axis models). The car is in reasoanble condition and while the rear belt and pulley do not slip under force of hand, they are going to need replacing at soon stage. I am having trouble in locating these belts and pulleys (UK based). Will the rear diff pulley and belt fit from the Cat SST, as I have quite a few LHS that stock these.
tracktite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #39
Tech Master

10 months later, some pictures ! ( I just got my new phone, I had no camera before that.) The winter season has just ended and now it's more or less asphalt only in my area ! Since I'll only run the car on carpet, that gives me another 6 month to install a receiver and maybe rebuild the car 5 or 6 times to make sure everything is OK ;-)

I have to say I take pride in the battery mounts I came up with. The lower tub is moulded from PET ( yup, plastic bottle) and shoe gooed to the lower plate, and the brace is obviously from an old X-ray, but with other standoffs who allow for flex and slop, so that the brace floats above the battery without binding chassis flex.

Credits : the mazda 6 body was given by Tha Dogg, the car was traded for a TC3 by Steph. The shocks are from a Mi2 wreck given to me a few years ago ( thx JR Titus) and I got hold of a bunch of NIP parts at a special price from Tonio, including this magnificent CF lower plate :thanks to him, too ! The novak ESC was bought dirt cheap from Sergio , and chosen for the most obvious reason : heatsink color. The motor is an Orion with a 23T rotor, given by the legendary Overrc. (www.overrc.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher SST '99 pro (and previous SST models...)-13052011009.jpg   Schumacher SST '99 pro (and previous SST models...)-13052011016.jpg   Schumacher SST '99 pro (and previous SST models...)-13052011018.jpg   Schumacher SST '99 pro (and previous SST models...)-13052011011.jpg   Schumacher SST '99 pro (and previous SST models...)-13052011012.jpg  

Last edited by heretic; 05-13-2011 at 05:18 AM.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #40
Tech Rookie

Default re-modelling old schumachers on cad

Hello all,

I'm trying to re-model old Schumacher cars on a cad system and I really need an sst'98 manual and sst,'98 parts listing.

Can anyone help please? I've got examples and manuals for most of the cars. I'm interested to know the differences between an sst'99 and a sst'99 pro?

Regards,

T_2
terminator_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #41
Tech Regular

T2,

The Schumacher site still has all the manuals and exploaded diagrams for you to download, go to www.racing-cars.com and its all there.

Best,
Chris
Chrissy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #42
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Gotta bump this thread, because I'm getting ready to start a very cool build
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher SST '99 pro (and previous SST models...)-axis2.jpg  
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Jelly!

Cpt. America - Jealous! Where did you snag that chassis from?
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #44
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I saw this thread, I have a 99sst pro, and could use a front and rear shock tower if someone has a spare. I could not find replacements.
thanks.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 PM   #45
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I loved my SST99'.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote