R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-11-2002, 03:05 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Setup boards

What setup boards/methods do you guys use? I never considered the Hudy system (too $$) but yesterday a guy at the track let me use his Integy system. It works pretty well, and at about $65, I'd consider picking one up. Problem is everyone's out of stock.....SpeedTech says they should be getting some in a few weeks.

I'm really only looking for accurate toe measurement, since my Schumacher camber gauge works fine and I already have a ride height and droop tool. Anybody try using that $10 RPM gauge?

byoshino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 04:29 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The Hudy system is probably the best and you can get the setup board camber and toe int out gauge for about $120.00 Haven't tried the Integy, heard lots of good stuff about it though. Don't really recommend the RPM toe in out gauge not real accurate. Most people just eye ball it. If you take your setup serious though I definetly would consider getting one, be it the Integy or Hudy. My system is all Hudy for droop, ride height, toe in out and camber as well as caster.
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 05:50 AM   #3
Tech Adept

I have tried most things over the years and have come to the conclusion that a) you get what you pay for and b) on occassions the simpler methods work just as well.
I have the Hudy setup board and full kit its great it does what it says it should do and its accurate. I bought it because I wanted one and could afford it. I have often found that if you buy cheap you buy twice, don't get me wrong I'm not trying to criticise the cheaper units on the market, can't do that haven't tried them. However I am speaking from experience having been burnt on number of occassions.
I tried the RPM toe in gauge but its not really suitable but if you can get it to work then go for it.
With regard to simpler things working well, I usually run with 5mm ground clearance. I have a tool to check that but I also have an old spur gear that is 5mm thick, its far quicker to slide that under the chassis to check the clearance than to use my height gauge.
I do sometimes wonder though with all the things now available to check the settings just how accurate do we really need to be or is sufficient to check by eye??
Bosscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 10:55 AM   #4
Tech Master

I own all three types of setup guages that are mentioned and all serve a purpose. I prefer the Integy set because the camber blocks are aluminum and survive being tossed around into a toolbox without a problem. The Hudy tends to get scratched up more easily and is more difficulty to read when it's scratched. Both are accurate and give excellent results. Unfortunately, Integy only makes a guage set for sedan. I use the RPM guage when I need a quick check between heats and don't have time to take off the wheels and put the camber blocks on.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote