Wiki Posts
Search

Servo Saver

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Servo Saver

Can someone make some suggestions on a quality servo saver? I'm using a KO Propo high speed steering servo in 1/10 scale touring car and my current servo saver has a lot of slop in it. Cheers!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Kimborough
Old 01-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You can get replacement TAM51000 for the Tamiya Hi-Torque Servo Saver.

If you additional durability just replace the servo horn with aluminium.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What is difference between TAM51000 and Kimborough?

Are there any other servo savers?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ozvena
What is difference between TAM51000 and Kimborough?

Are there any other servo savers?
Quality.

There are plenty but th OP asked for something of quality. It is not worth to try and save a few pennies after dishing out for a quality servo. It cancels out the whole quality you pay for (you might as well buy a crappy servo).

the tamiya saver lasts for a little bit then you start having no neutral position as the springs wear the plastic shoulders they rest against. The aluminium saver arm doesn't fix things either as the other half of the saver is still plastic. So if you're after a quality saver just save you money and buy a good one like the Kimborough. With the Tamiya you'll have to buy a new one every few weeks.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks!

I am using Kimborough but to my taste the spring is weak and I do not like the plastic feel.

Here is a test I do. I take my T4 and turn the wheels to one side by hand with the servo in the center. Then I place T4 on the carpet. The servo saver spring is weak to move the wheels completely back to the center.

The servo saver is of a good size and is red in color. Based one the info here: http://www.kimbroughracingproducts.c...vo-savers.html
it is small (the only one made red?).

Which one do you recommend for 1/10 TC, buggy, and truck?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks!

I am using Kimborough but to my taste the spring is weak and I do not like the plastic feel.

Here is a test I do. I take my T4 and turn the wheels to one side by hand with the servo in the center. Then I place T4 on the carpet. The servo saver spring is weak to move the wheels completely back to the center.

The servo saver is of a good size and is red in color. Based one the info here: http://www.kimbroughracingproducts.c...vo-savers.html

The mid-size, #201. If that doesn't work for you than I don't know what will...
Old 01-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by niznai
Quality.

There are plenty but th OP asked for something of quality. It is not worth to try and save a few pennies after dishing out for a quality servo. It cancels out the whole quality you pay for (you might as well buy a crappy servo).

the tamiya saver lasts for a little bit then you start having no neutral position as the springs wear the plastic shoulders they rest against. The aluminium saver arm doesn't fix things either as the other half of the saver is still plastic. So if you're after a quality saver just save you money and buy a good one like the Kimborough. With the Tamiya you'll have to buy a new one every few weeks.
Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks!

Not sure which one you're talking about, I use the little grey ones in my TC cars and they're strong enough (I use a 12kg servo). By hand is very difficult to turn my saver against its will.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So if you're after a quality saver just save you money and buy a good one like the Kimborough. With the Tamiya you'll have to buy a new one every few weeks.
+1. I was using the Tamiya one in my TA05 and the neutral was lost on every battery pack... It was a total nightmare...

Replaced it with a Kimby and no more problems...
Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Adding to this tamiya servo saver had another problem. if your car got knock sideway to front wheel by other moving car. the original plastic servo horn breaks. anyone got problem with kimborough?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Quality.

I do agree the ori tamiya has this slop in steering after some bashing. it's kinda disapointing. they are making you buy all times.. if not else servo horn breaks.

after i use the aluminium horn with it, does last me a month longer if I do not have any major crash. i just replace it & throw the plastic horn aside.

is there a real durable servo saver i can change beside kimborough. for other brand, if the plastic won't wear most likely the spring is not strong enuff to return the steering to centre. the tamiya springs are indeed very strong. the setback is it does wear the plastic moving part faster.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

I like the Tamiya.

I'm not sure why it is being given a bad rep in here. I've had it in the tourer for 2 years (granted, only running one or twice a month in that time), and although there is a little wear in it now, it is less than a trim click, and I have no problems whatsoever with consistency of straight line running.

I know what a bad servo horn/saver feels like... I returned two perfect servos to KO because a bad fitting HPI servo horn that made me think the servo wasn't centreing correctly, and spent a whole race meeting crashing into the barriers down the straight because of a weak Kawada servo saver... if it takes a stupid mistake to learn something, I've done it!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Tamiya's servos are poorly designed. Plastic is not going to last when the spring tension is held by a sliver of plastic against spring steel and with sharp edges at that. I had a number of them fail and the consistency of their failure convinced me. I have also seen it happen to a lot of other people so I gave it up. I have a pile of brand new ones that came in my kits and I don't intend to use them. The really crappy ones with a plastic spring sector are better in my opinion even thoguh they don't hold much force before the plastic spring is flung out, but at least they don't wear out in such a way that neutral is all over the place.

My personal favourite is the shear saver of the past (as used in Yokomo cars for instance) but most modern cars simply can't accomodate such a setup.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:21 AM
tns
Tech Apprentice

Well, after reading this thread I now have a couple of kimbrough servo savers on order

Just a quick question though - I notice that the servo horn on the kimbrough units are made of plastic. Would these hold up in the longer term, or should they be replaced with alum ones? Generally, how long can these savers be expected to last before they need to be replaced?

Cheers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.