R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
Tech Adept
Default 19T Brushed vs. Brushless

I would like to know what a really good 19T brushed motor would be to run, in stock form or from a motor tuner.

Also if we were to compare the brushed 19T to a breushless, what would be the best comparable choice to run in the same class ?

Associated FT SC10
Futaba 3PK
AKA Tires
Maxamps Batteries
SRI Raceway, Louisville KY
fastrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you HAD to, you could race 19t against 13.5 or 17.5 brushless motors.

If your going to spend any money, it would be better to get a inexpensive or used brushless system. They are that much better all around.
-Dangerous with power tools-
gacjr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Some years ago...19T equivalent is 5300, then it was 10.5, then go down to 13.5.......this year, 17.5 will blow away any 19T brushed motor.

You need to ask what version of the speedo software/program that you are using....
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Tech Adept

I was running 1/12th with a 19T Komodo brushed, LRP QC3 and 4 cell setup until this week. I was the only one running a brushed motor, another racer had cells and a brushless motor.

I was running against 13.5 BL and getting killed, I was the slowest of all the classes, TC or 1/12th. Granted I'm a once a month hack with minmal skills. For the couple of times I did well, I ran in the 15 second range. I should be able to go faster with this setup but its the best I've done so far. The super fast past national champs were running consistently in the mid to low 10s and a few 9.9s. The pack seemed to be in the upper 10s to 12s range. The black diamond ESC was banned at our track until they were more widely available. The ban is now lifted and it will interesting to see how low the lap times drop as people get the setups figured out. And how the Tekin boys respond.

The upper end ESCs make a big difference, you can see it down the long back stretches. The turbo or boost kick in and they jump. Pretty cool.

I have just bought a Novak Havoc 1s with a 13.5 and a 1s Lipo, I am pumped. I hope to be able to be more competitive. At the very least the car will be lighter, I'll have less motor maintenance and easier battery up keep, or so I'm told.

From the where I sit it seems if you want to be competitive you need to be brushless. Or have a great deal more skill and practice time than I do.
Member of "The Seldom Seen R/C Racing Team"

RC10L (Pro 10, WGT), TC4, BMI DB12RR, Scalpel
Lee_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

In september (pre-Black Diamond and Tekin V203) I ran a 19t brushed motor in the 13.5t TC class. My car was slower than the guys who had the Tekin V201 software figured out, but as fast as guys running 08/09 equipment. In my main (B ) I had the second fastest lap time. My best lap was 0.4sec off the winner of the A main. I was running a Team Checkpoint mod motor with a 19t machine wound armature put in it. This motor with the aluminum endbell kept temps at around 150-160 and let me run the whole weekend without needing to change brushes or cut the comm. Very impressive motor.

A 19t in the 13.5t class wouldn't be competitive with the new Tekin software and the Black Diamond ESC's though. It is fine for club racing or for racing on a small track. You do need a really good quality and well maintained brushed motor though, if you don't have a good motor don't bother.
•Brad Comis
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Having just converted to brushless/lipo about two months ago, I can say with confidence that there is no 19t on earth that will keep up with the new esc's with adjustable software. My 1/2 scale car is now about a second a lap faster with a 13.5 and Tekin RS. I would almost bet that a 17.5 with the new software is faster.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote