Community
Wiki Posts
Search

INDI 16X5v6 / Eagle CDC 6

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by etzkev
The lower you go on the Delta Peak (3 is the lowest), the higher voltage and capacity you get out of your packs, but the hotter they are at the end of the charge.

Hope this helps,
etzkev
etzkev, sorry to say, but you are wrong here; It's the opposite. The HIGHER the delta peak is, the HOTTER the pack will get.

So at 3 mV delta peak pr. cell, your pack will remain quite cold, while with 10 mV delta peak pr. cell, it'll be quite hot, probably too hot (depending on environment temperature).

Here's a link to a reference, namely Competition Electronic Tech Tips.

Stay cool and do it the right way
Old 04-11-2004, 03:13 PM

I try 3mv and 5mv this time at 5A. The cell still 180F for 3mv and 190F for 5mv.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Aku-Man
I try 3mv and 5mv this time at 5A. The cell still 180F for 3mv and 190F for 5mv.
Sounds like your cells aint good....

Which cells are you charging? How old? And which charger, CDC ver 6?
Old 04-11-2004, 11:25 PM

They are new cells. GP3300 and Panasonics ultra metal 3000. I got CDC 6.0B.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:28 PM

This time I charged my three 1900 ni-cd cells with 10mv/c at 5A. All three of them are fine after charged at temp 120 F degrees.

Just having problem charging ni-mh.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

Aku-Man - Nicd's require high delta peaks. 6a at 10mv is normal. At 5a and 3mv you 3300gp cells are getting hot. Mine would be barely warm if I charged at that. Is your charger nimh compatable? If your charging your nimh cells on a nicd only charger then that's your problem. For racing I charge at 6a and 10mv cutoff, then re-peak at 7a 5 minutes before my main.

etzkev - Cole is right. If you bump up the delta peak, your cells will gain punch and be hotter after a charge. If you charge a pack at 3mv/per cell it WILL come off alot cooler then if you charge at 10mv/per cell. But for racing a cool/warm battery is a slow battery.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by fatdoggy
Aku-Man - Nicd's require high delta peaks. 6a at 10mv is normal. At 5a and 3mv you 3300gp cells are getting hot. Mine would be barely warm if I charged at that. Is your charger nimh compatable? If your charging your nimh cells on a nicd only charger then that's your problem. For racing I charge at 6a and 10mv cutoff, then re-peak at 7a 5 minutes before my main.

etzkev - Cole is right. If you bump up the delta peak, your cells will gain punch and be hotter after a charge. If you charge a pack at 3mv/per cell it WILL come off alot cooler then if you charge at 10mv/per cell. But for racing a cool/warm battery is a slow battery.
Are you sure man? I thought it was the opposite, because I thought the lower the threshold, the smaller the margin of error in you charge to the peak voltage of the cells. If what you are saying is true, then why do the pro's like Cyrul always charge at 3 mv per cell? My batteries ALWAYS seem hotter when I charge at lower thresholds.

-etzkev
Old 04-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by fatdoggy

You are saying that you charge your GP3300's at 10mv per cell? Are they hot? Or are you talking about NICD's? That is really wierd man, cause everyone I know will not go over 5mv per cell!

-etzkev
Old 04-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The lower you go on the Delta Peak (3 is the lowest), the higher voltage and capacity you get out of your packs, but the hotter they are at the end of the charge.

Hope this helps,
etzkev

Do you what the Delta Peak is?

The higher you go on the Delta Value the hotter the cell will gets.

The good Peak Charger will take some sample of the voltage being charge to the cell, I think some charger might take some sample every 5 sec. And its will remember the voltage and then the next 5 sec comes, its will compare the new messurement with the old messurement.

It its lower than the old messurement value that is when "Delta Peak" started. Then the voltage at the cell starts to drop, how low. Its depen how much threshold or Delta Peak you set.

The more higher Delta Peak you set - the LONGER the charger continue to force feed the high rate of charge to the cell(s).

So, lower Delta Peak the cooler the cell(s) will get.

Last edited by komkit; 04-12-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This is really getting old.The lower peak I.E. .3 cuts off the charge sooner so the packs are charging less and have less heat.This low of a reading sometimes false peaks the pack so you RAISE the cutoff to .4 or .5 to completely charge the pack.The cutoff is a sensitivity number 3 is more sensitive than 5 so less charge less heat.I charge my Pro Match NiMH 3300's at 6.5 amps and use a cutoff of .5.
NiCD's are totally different and 10 is really a common cutoff for NiCD packs.
My concern is that when you setup the program for the battery charge you selected NiCD and not NiMH.I would go back to the setup for the battery pack and make sure capacity is 3300,type is NiMH,cutoff is 5.Hope this helps
Old 04-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SOuthernFRIED
My concern is that when you setup the program for the battery charge you selected NiCD and not NiMH.I would go back to the setup for the battery pack and make sure capacity is 3300,type is NiMH,cutoff is 5.Hope this helps
I also believe this is the reason. Try it, and tell us how it went out.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:58 AM

I checked everything. I set them right.

I'm trying again with 5mv at 5A on 3300.

Last edited by Aku-Man; 04-12-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Aku-Man
I checked everything. I set them right.

I'm trying again with 5mv at 5A on 3300.
I cant figure out what's the reason, but something is really wrong.

Wait with that try again thing, no reason for damaging the pack.

I dont know about the Panasonic cells, I only got experience with GP cells (and some older cells too).

Whats the ambient temperature? Do one cell get hot before the others? Do you have a fan on the cells, while charging? How many packs do you got of Panasonic and GP?

Here's my numbers, so you can do a comparision:

I got two Fukuyama packs, 1,160-1,164. Both charges fine and very equally. It's GP cells with green/orange schrink wrap.

My numbers goes like this: 3.972 mAh charge, 3.185 discharge. Peak: 9.077 volt, average 6,944. 46 mOhm charge, 32 discharge.

I charge at 6 amps, discharge at 20. My delta volt threshold is 8 mV/cell, 48 mV/pack.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

You are saying that you charge your GP3300's at 10mv per cell? Are they hot? Or are you talking about NICD's? That is really wierd man, cause everyone I know will not go over 5mv per cell!

-etzkev
I've been charging my ZX 3300gp pack at 6 amps 10mv/cell delta peak for maybe 4 months now. So far it's just gotten better and better. I just discharge at 20 amps then again at 2 amps till it's drained completely then store for a week. Then before I go to the track I discharge at .1amp to dump it again. I only run it once a day for the main. For 2400 nicd's I charge at 6amps and 10mv/cell delta peak and keep them completely dumped through the week. I run my 2400's for qualifiers and after a year of use they actually still feel pretty dam good.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by SOuthernFRIED
This is really getting old.The lower peak I.E. .3 cuts off the charge sooner so the packs are charging less and have less heat.This low of a reading sometimes false peaks the pack so you RAISE the cutoff to .4 or .5 to completely charge the pack.The cutoff is a sensitivity number 3 is more sensitive than 5 so less charge less heat.I charge my Pro Match NiMH 3300's at 6.5 amps and use a cutoff of .5.
NiCD's are totally different and 10 is really a common cutoff for NiCD packs.
Ok, I got it now. I jsut had it backwards. Thats wierd, cause I really thought I was right. Oh well...what can I say other than, "MY BAD!"

-etzkev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.