Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
just traded for tc5 and need help, wanna race carpet and aspault...new to electric TC >

just traded for tc5 and need help, wanna race carpet and aspault...new to electric TC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

just traded for tc5 and need help, wanna race carpet and aspault...new to electric TC

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default just traded for tc5 and need help, wanna race carpet and aspault...new to electric TC

hey everyone, first off i dont want to run into flaming so i apologize in advance for my ignorance when it comes to everything i am about to say.

i just got my tc5 a day ago. i traded my jato 3.3 for this roller. i threw in my random parts and i have to say it is beyond fun to drive. the only thing is i want to set everything up perfect so i am going to gain all of the parts needed to start racing in a begennier either carpet or asphault. then put everything in. i wanna get the right motor, esc, and servo before i embarase myself on the track.

i need suggestions on everything i should put into this car before i go out and enjoy this wonderful hobby/sport. please let me know what i should get as a beginner. it already has the mazda speed6 body on it and from what i have read on the tc5 thread that it is a good body for both carpet and aspahault.

i currently have a hpi speed control out of an e10. a servo out of a rustler vxl. an epic 15t motor. and im thinking about putting my brushless system out of my ruslter vxl in it.

PLEASE HELP ME.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

First thing I would do is go to your local track and see what classes are being run. See what you think you would like to get into. Then buy gear appropriate to that class. First and foremost have fun!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

ok just so you know when i started rc sedan i thought they looked just awesome then i realized how expensive they can get lol. I had to get a job to pay for all of it, here is some stuff you need for electric sedan

Servo
Sensored Esc
Brushlees motor turn that you plan on running for example if you want to run stock its 17.5
Setup board
Setup Station
Tweak Station
battery ( lipo is what everyone going to)
lipo charger
balance
tools to measure droop, etc.
Allen wrenches

After you get all that then you get to start with the fun stuff like setting up you RC to get it dialed for your track. Lots to learn its good to go to your local track and talk to guys that race in that class. I don't know how much you can learn from just watching this is my .02 c the main thing is just to have fun.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Adept

cool thanks for the info guys. so if i just wanna race stock class. what motor setup should i get.. like brand and what not
Old 01-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mv350
cool thanks for the info guys. so if i just wanna race stock class. what motor setup should i get.. like brand and what not
i was running lrp but switched to tekin rs with a tekin 17.5

for esc go with teking because they can be updated via software and is very competitive i picked mine up for $120 motor i traded for. Also you can get brushless motors that have adjustable timing like tekin, lrp, etc and some cant be adjusted. for electronics plan on spending around a good bit but you get what you pay for. you can always upgrade later but i have about $260 in my esc, motor, servo but you can pick up a novak havok for about 100- 125 with motor. Also for servo get one with a fast transit time. lots to take in lol
Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Adept

Cool thank you, I'd rather spend money the first time, rather than spending it twice and end up getting wut I should of gotten the first time
Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I definitely agree if you can afford it, don't spend twice. I went the route of asking the LHS guy about what to buy and I am a little pissed at the moment. about 90% of the top racers at my local track run Tekin ESC's at least and when I asked him what I should buy, he pointed me in the direction of Losi Xcelorin instead "because it is as competitive" as the Tekin, and he had it in stock. Well when I started buying the electronics for my 12R5, I said heck with it and bought the Tekin setup. What I would recommend for the TC 5 is

Tekin Redline 17.5 Motor or what ever size your track is running as Stock
Tekin RS ESC
Receiver that matches your Transmitter
LiPo Batteries 30C and 5400 mah minimum

Also get a good set of tools and setup board along with either a car specific setup guide or the XXX-main setup guide. All of this stuff will be extremely helpful to you and will get going in the right direction. But the biggest thing is stick time, no amount of equipment is the equivalent to this. Doesn't matter how fast your car can go if you can't control it when it is going that fast.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just to give you an idea you are looking at around $500 ball park that if you don't go overboard but this will pretty much you get everything you needed to race. You will probably spend your money mostly on tires. If you are running carpet with rubber tires it will last way a lot longer.

This will include:

Tools
Brushless ESC/Motor (Get an ESC that software/Firmware is upgradable like Tekin, Castle so you don't have to keep buying what is new)
Batteries
Setup station
Charger

Note: Like what everyone say you need to talk to all the local drivers and ask them what they are running since you are new to TC you might wanna get an equipment that is the same with everyone else this way its a lot easier for them to help if you have question.

Originally Posted by mv350
Cool thank you, I'd rather spend money the first time, rather than spending it twice and end up getting wut I should of gotten the first time
Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Welcome to the family !! Just had to chime in here as it seems you're already being led down the "you gotta buy the hottest selling crap out there or you won't win" path.

As has already been said...you need to know which class you want to run. Stock what ?? Stock touring or RCGT or ? Maybe the same motor required but most other rules are different? Find out the details for where you'll be doing most of your racing.

Second. Get the basics for gear. You should have a way to carry the stuff you need at the track. The new Fat Max system from Stanley works great and is available at Lowes or online. Many rc companies make great bags also.
Setup stations, tweak boards and setup boards are nice but you're wasting money if you don't know how to use them. Start with a simple Camber guage, toe guage and ride height guage. RPM makes some and they're inexpensive. A good set of tools is a must. Hex drivers are a must.

Pick up a copy of the Tuning manual from XXX Main or Team Xray. LEARN all you can about setting the car up. Buying high end electronics and go fast goodies aren't worth crap unless you can make it around the track !!!

Buy what YOUR budget will allow. Don't buy stuff just because many people tell you it's the best or it'll make you faster. Unless you can DRIVE and SETUP the car well...big bucks electronics will just make you poor and frustrated.

Good luck with everything and above all...HAVE FUN !! Join a club if you can and ask alot of questions. There's always someone who will help.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by uncbadboy
I definitely agree if you can afford it, don't spend twice. I went the route of asking the LHS guy about what to buy and I am a little pissed at the moment. about 90% of the top racers at my local track run Tekin ESC's at least and when I asked him what I should buy, he pointed me in the direction of Losi Xcelorin instead "because it is as competitive" as the Tekin, and he had it in stock. Well when I started buying the electronics for my 12R5, I said heck with it and bought the Tekin setup. What I would recommend for the TC 5 is

Tekin Redline 17.5 Motor or what ever size your track is running as Stock
Tekin RS ESC
Receiver that matches your Transmitter
LiPo Batteries 30C and 5400 mah minimum

Also get a good set of tools and setup board along with either a car specific setup guide or the XXX-main setup guide. All of this stuff will be extremely helpful to you and will get going in the right direction. But the biggest thing is stick time, no amount of equipment is the equivalent to this. Doesn't matter how fast your car can go if you can't control it when it is going that fast.
I would suggest getting a Novak Ballistic 17.5/13.5 with a Tekin RS. The tekin motors dont have any torque.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bryan Kendall
I would suggest getting a Novak Ballistic 17.5/13.5 with a Tekin RS. The tekin motors dont have any torque.
just an opion i prefer my tekin!
Sedans can be tons of fun and when i started racing i did not know anything so i bought the xxx main setup guide and it helped a ton.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

thankyou for the help guys. i will probably end up with the novak/tekin setup. figuring that is what my local stores can get and what the have expierence setting up. i will try and dig up as much knowlegde as i can outta them and see if they can help me set the car up for west coast rc raceway figuring that is the closest indoor track to me.

again thankyou everyone!!!!