R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   convert HPI sprint drift into touring (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/361448-convert-hpi-sprint-drift-into-touring.html)

aiyadude 01-17-2010 07:03 PM

convert HPI sprint drift into touring

I have a HPI sprint 2 drift and I want to get into touring. I just wanted to know what specific specifications are required, i.e. camber and toe settings, gear ratios, any recommended hop ups. i know that the drift setup comes with a 3 deg. rear toe-in and 6 degree front castor block. and it comes with 2 degree toe and 4 degree castor.
should I just switch them out with the 2 and 4, to begin with?
by the way, my friend sold me his novak brushless 8.5T and im currently running it. :nod:

heretic 01-18-2010 06:34 AM

I hope you'll enjoy TC, which is my favorite class and is sometimes criticized for bad reasons.

You'll NEED ( I mean REALLY need) :

A good bodyshell (protoforms are the best , hands down. Don't bother trying anything else.) Find a mazda 6/speed 6 or LTCR, and be careful to mount the wing 8 or 9 mm further than the rear bumper, that's how it works best. Never underestimate the importance of the body.

Good shocks: I don't know about the car you have but most RTR cars have crappy shocks which are not even worth trying for TC. The tamiyas are the best, but if you want purple ones the Schumacher are good, or those that come with the hotbodies cyclone. You'll thank me for that piece of advice.

3 degrees rear toe in is good, 6 or 4 caster is good but 2 mightbe a bit agressive. Set the ride height 5 mm front, and 5.5mm rear.

the gearing is very different from drift, so ask on the Novak thread which FDR to start with your 8.5.

2 degrees of camber front and rear should be good.

be careful with you droop settings. Usually the front A-arms have a bit less travel than the rear ones. Be sure to set it symmetrically left and right.

other than that : good tires (rubber ! foams are the worst PITA ever, believe me), buy a few springs maybe, and that should be good.

also : set you rear diff with almost no grease so that it is very free and put some heavy grease on the front. You can even lock it but your front dogbones won't like it.

All of this are starting points, of course.

have fun ! and sorry for the approximate english :blush: .

aiyadude 01-18-2010 01:54 PM

thank you very much for the advice. i will tell you how it turns out after im done with the upgrades

jrxsMike03 01-19-2010 11:28 PM

sprint 2

great car for the $$

snoopyrc 01-20-2010 07:07 AM

That car doesnt have a spool in the back does it? If it does then put it in the front if you can.

aiyadude 01-20-2010 01:32 PM

its differentials on both front and back. should i get a spool instead? on which ends?

snoopyrc 01-20-2010 09:36 PM

Some drift cars have a spool in the back. That makes for great drifting but it does not translate well for TC racing. If it does not have a spool I would not get one right now just go with the advice Heretic layed out for you and learn from the fast guys on your track. If you decide to get a spool it is the same as locking your front diff. So look at Heretics post again.