Wiki Posts
Search

Weight distribution

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Weight distribution

How should i distribute the weight in my car to achive the minimum weight but having some more traction or grip in front/rear in aceleration/braking enter/exit corner of the car.

Thansk for the help.

Best Regards.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

The car should be balanced on all four corners. From there you can work with your set up to achieve more grip where needed.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, but adding more wheight in front or rear how would the grip work, in aceleration/brake in or out corner..
Old 01-15-2010, 05:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Usually adding more weight in the rear will give you more traction, adding weight on the front will add more steering but it turn can take traction from the rear...
Old 01-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Use the Hudy Tweak Station.... it gives the most accurate results to my experience. This will eventually solve your problems.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

The total weight will be the same regardless how you distribute it to the car, if you are talking about achieving minimum weight, distribute the weight to different places will make no difference. The traction is proportional to the normal load applying to the tires, i.e. adding more weight will, in theory, give you more traction, but it will hurt the acceleration, generate more weight transfer, etc. So lets assume your car has been tuned to be optimal mechanically (camber, caster, toe, weight distribution...), the only way you can gain more traction with minimum weight is to use aerodynamic down force, which means you need a good body shell.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You can opt for Protoform Mazda Speed 6 190mm as one good example bodyshell commonly used.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, if i have wheight to put in the car, were should i put, and what will it do.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nuno Gancho
Ok, if i have wheight to put in the car, were should i put, and what will it do.
This is how I do the weights in my car. I first balance the car with as little weight as possible (usually means adding some weight to the battery side of the car towards the outside edges). I try to do equal amounts in front of and behind the battery. Then I weigh the car. The difference between your min weight and what you weigh I then add down the center line of the chassis near the middle.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
Usually adding more weight in the rear will give you more traction, adding weight on the front will add more steering but it turn can take traction from the rear...
Originally Posted by 05forfun
The total weight will be the same regardless how you distribute it to the car, if you are talking about achieving minimum weight, distribute the weight to different places will make no difference
Without wanting to start an argument, these statements are not correct. Weight placed at the front will reduce rotation and may create understeer, weight placed at the back will increases rotation and may cause oversteer.

The best way I've seen to measure weight distribution without having to worry about tweak is to attach a pair of droop blocks across each axle with double sided tape and then weigh the car with each droop block sitting on a separate scale. Turn the car around to cancel out any inconsistencies between the scales and take the average weight for both front and rear and you have your base weight distribution. From there you can move weight forward or back to encourage more or less rotation
Old 01-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

That's a three point calculation. I would put a balance block at the end that's not on a scale.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CraigM
Without wanting to start an argument, these statements are not correct. Weight placed at the front will reduce rotation and may create understeer, weight placed at the back will increases rotation and may cause oversteer.

The best way I've seen to measure weight distribution without having to worry about tweak is to attach a pair of droop blocks across each axle with double sided tape and then weigh the car with each droop block sitting on a separate scale. Turn the car around to cancel out any inconsistencies between the scales and take the average weight for both front and rear and you have your base weight distribution. From there you can move weight forward or back to encourage more or less rotation
You have to distinguish between the inertia caused by the weight distribution and the tyre loadings caused by it.

If you are working within the tyre's limits, more weight over one axle will make that axle less responsive to inputs, while also having more grip.

However, when you reach the limits of the tyres, the heavier end of the car will lose traction first, and inertia will then make it harder to bring back into line.

As with all aspects of car setup, it is a balance. 50/50 balance left/right is a target that every non-oval car should aim for, front/rear balance is a matter of choice. Most 4wd touring cars are close to 50/50 front/rear, with a small bias towards the rear if anything.