R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Seeking help in choosing a versatile Radio (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/36026-seeking-help-choosing-versatile-radio.html)

Joop 03-18-2004 02:17 AM

Seeking help in choosing a versatile Radio

Hi fellow RC maniacs,

I'm seeking help in choosing a radio that allows me to migrate from EPs (going for a Yoko CGM currently) to GPs and from On-Roads to Off Roads. Would appreciate your expert views on this...

Have a few choices in mind though.....MX 3, Aggressor CRX, or burnt my pocket for an M8 or 3PK.

Thanks alot mates!;)

Tor Erik 03-18-2004 02:38 AM

Hi

I bought me an Futaba 3PK a couple of months ago, and must say I like this radio alot ! Very good to drive with. And it's very easy to setup through the menu system ( you will learn this easy meny system quick I think )

I have only one complain about 3PK, the screen can sometimes be " black out ", but I only must switch the radio off and on to get it right. I've heard a lot of people have problems with the screen , someone tells me it will get better after some use.

3PK also available now in black color.

Hope this will help you in choosing new radio.

:)

Cole Trickle 03-18-2004 02:50 AM

Grip is important, so do the grip test !

I'm not a GP man, but as far as I understand, the built in failsafe in the 3PK, might be interesting. If you need a failsafe, it'll bring the total cost down.

Hitec has also an RX with built in failsafe.

About Hitec, you'll get very different opinions. Some people have bad experience with quality, others dont.

An interesting alternative is also the Airtronics XS3 / Graupner XS6 with synthese - no crystals.

Geppetto 03-18-2004 05:38 AM

I currently have an Airtronics MX-3, and I cannot think of any reason to change to another radio. Almost 2 years ago I made the decision to get out of R/C, so I sold all of my equipment. At that time, I had an M8 that I purchased when the radio was first released. When I decided to get back into R/C, I decided that I wasn't going to burn myself out buying the most expensive highend products on the market. So, I bought the MX-3. I found that the features it had were the ones I needed. When I had the M8, I didn't use most of the features. The MX3 is a little lighter, and it has the very same RX that the M8 has. Range is great and glitching had been non-existant like with my M8. The best part is that I got the MX3 for less than $95 (TX, RX + crystals) brand new.

Joop 03-18-2004 08:10 AM

Thanks alot pals!

Mmhh.....seems like it's a choice of 3PK and MX-3. I've my grips on the MX-3 but not yet on the 3PK.....however....ard how much it's gonna cost for a 3PK and what accessories it comes with.

Am offered ard $100US for a MX-3 with 2 servos and receiver.

rcdougie 03-18-2004 10:54 AM

Dont forget Airtronics is coming out with a synthesized mx3 within in a couple of months. I might dump my m8 to get that one since the mx3 is so comfortable.

Cole Trickle 03-18-2004 11:11 AM

Well, I personally find that radios above the Presto / MX3 / 3PDF level is overkill.

So why not get a MX3? If you later need a failsafe, get it separately, or simply get the Hitec RX. It's right here: http://www.hitecrcd.com/Receivers/HIS03MK.htm

bigragu 03-18-2004 11:15 AM

for the money cant beat to ko mars:tire:

Cole Trickle 03-18-2004 11:21 AM

Originally posted by bigragu
for the money cant beat to ko mars:tire:
Well, that's an easy one - because the Mars is way too small for my hands :D

bigragu 03-18-2004 11:24 AM

what do u mean too small for your thumb ?:tire:

Cole Trickle 03-18-2004 11:32 AM

My hands are too big or the radio is too small... I can just accurately get my hand in and around the grip. The result is that it dont feel good. It's something like wearing gloves, that are too tight...

Cole Trickle 03-18-2004 11:34 AM

Forgot to mention: The Mars got more features than I need. I dont even use all the features of my Presto....

So from my pont of view, the Mars aint got enough value for the money. But of course, it depends on what the buyer like...

doug smith 03-18-2004 03:17 PM

i have a R! pro and it is sweet i dont know/use 1/2 the options but is is an awesome unit.

I have herd from people (Josh Cryul) that the new Helios (KO i think) is the best out there right now

Doug

Joop 03-18-2004 05:33 PM

Well...seems like it's MX-3 for me ;) However it lacks the ABS feature...is it gonna be critical when i switch to GPs ?

And perhaps the experts can enlighten me on wat exactly is Failsafe...??

Mmhh...the synthesized version sounds tempting....but i can't wait for another few months to kick start my long awaited hobby....Is is coming out very soon ? As i dun seems to find any info abt it on airtronics webby.

Keep ur comments coming pals !! Thkz !

JusBox 03-18-2004 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Joop
Well...seems like it's MX-3 for me ;) However it lacks the ABS feature...is it gonna be critical when i switch to GPs ?

And perhaps the experts can enlighten me on wat exactly is Failsafe...??

Mmhh...the synthesized version sounds tempting....but i can't wait for another few months to kick start my long awaited hobby....Is is coming out very soon ? As i dun seems to find any info abt it on airtronics webby.

Keep ur comments coming pals !! Thkz !

M8, Helios or 3PK. If you want the best there they are. I use a Mars R myself.