Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Cool, thanks for that info. I like lots of steering so I think I'll stick with my old setup and then make changes and see what I think of them (what an idea!! ).
Old 11-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a good starting setup for the Mi3 for foam/carpet. Haven't raced in a while and am starting to feel the itch again.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/schu...umacherMi3.htm

Try here
Old 11-15-2008, 03:03 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mini-dub
Cool, thanks for that info. I like lots of steering so I think I'll stick with my old setup and then make changes and see what I think of them (what an idea!! ).
Well the nice thing about the short bellcrank is that it actually doesn't seem to take away steering, it just makes it more controllable. But trying them back-to back yourself is a brilliant idea, I don't know why anyone hasn't thought about that before
Old 11-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olev
Well the nice thing about the short bellcrank is that it actually doesn't seem to take away steering, it just makes it more controllable. But trying them back-to back yourself is a brilliant idea, I don't know why anyone hasn't thought about that before
just make sure to reset your radio epa's as the shorter rod will most certainly yield a larger turning radius. and double check your toe if keeping the same pivot hole (in the support plate). when the tie rods go from angled back at the hubs to straight (parallel with the dogbones), the car gets toed in a bit.

lost - i still favor marc mcgoo's carpet nats setup the best. (3/13/2008 from that link)
Old 11-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
just make sure to reset your radio epa's as the shorter rod will most certainly yield a larger turning radius. and double check your toe if keeping the same pivot hole (in the support plate). when the tie rods go from angled back at the hubs to straight (parallel with the dogbones), the car gets toed in a bit.

lost - i still favor marc mcgoo's carpet nats setup the best. (3/13/2008 from that link)
I second this. We just finished a local race running the exact same thing on Medium bite carpet. Even on lower bite carpet it works well with a small spring change. Easy to drive with plenty of steering.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 AM
Tech Regular

I am trying to get my head around shock rebound - some setups call for 50%, 70%, 100% rebound.

Can someone tell me what rebound I get if I build a shock 'normally' i.e. put in 30wt oil up to the top, put the rubber seal on and screw the top on with the shock at the fully extended position.

And also how I build a shock to get different levels of rebound?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoyle
I am trying to get my head around shock rebound - some setups call for 50%, 70%, 100% rebound.

Can someone tell me what rebound I get if I build a shock 'normally' i.e. put in 30wt oil up to the top, put the rubber seal on and screw the top on with the shock at the fully extended position.

And also how I build a shock to get different levels of rebound?
Take the shock and extend the shock shaft all the way out. Measure how far it extends from the top of the ball cup, to the bottom of the lower shock cap on the shock body. Say its 10mm.

Now rebuild the shock with 30WT oil and put the bladder and close. Push the shock shaft in and then let it go...it should only "rebound" back about 1-2mm...which is like 10-20% of the 10mm max shaft extension.

When you build the shock "normally", all you get is about 10% rebound at best. To get more, use rebound foam, or o-rings which you can place on top of the shock bladder.

Xray shocks use rebound foams, HB Cyclones, AE TC5, etc...most come with small cyclindrical foams which you put insise the shock's bladder to get more rebound out of the shock.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Now rebuild the shock with 30WT oil and put the bladder and close. Push the shock shaft in and then let it go...it should only "rebound" back about 1-2mm...which is like 10-20% of the 10mm max shaft extension.

When you build the shock "normally", all you get is about 10% rebound at best. To get more, use rebound foam, or o-rings which you can place on top of the shock bladder.
What you say makes sense - I will check my shocks tonight when I get home but I thought that mine, built as normal, were pretty much rebounding out the whole way with no foams on o-rings in place?

Are there any recomendations on foams on o-rings that give the different levels of rebound?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scoyle
What you say makes sense - I will check my shocks tonight when I get home but I thought that mine, built as normal, were pretty much rebounding out the whole way with no foams on o-rings in place?

Are there any recomendations on foams on o-rings that give the different levels of rebound?
Really? If you're getting full rebound when u build them "normal", then you just gotta bleed some of the oil out. Open the top cap just a bit, and then push the shock shaft up about 2-3mm, and some oil should bleed out from the top...close the top cap and re-check your rebound. It should be around 50% after this...keep adjusting as needed.

For rebound foams...some use Tamiya or MMR rebound foams, or Xray. I'm sure someone here can post where they can get them from.

Dont forget to go thru Adrian's posts on how to build an MI3...especially the shocks section...here's a link:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...her-mi3-3.html

Really good info, and he covers how to build the shocks, rebound, etc.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Anyone using MMR or other kind of rebound foam?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

It depends on the shock caps. With 3.5 caps (or older EC ones) building "normally" will give full rebound. For less rebound, you push the piston up toward the top of the shock before putting the diaphragm on.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
It depends on the shock caps. With 3.5 caps (or older EC ones) building "normally" will give full rebound. For less rebound, you push the piston up toward the top of the shock before putting the diaphragm on.
Yep, just checked mine (Mi3.5) and I am getting pretty close to 100% rebound.

MattW - does it follow that if I push the piston up 50% of the way then I get 50% rebound? Chris Ashton's carpet setup talks about 50% rebound.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Yeah it's not far off that - it's not an exacting science, but it's not a million miles off.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

And taking it a stage further does putting the foam pieces or o-rings on top of the rubber diaphragm make for faster rebound?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.