Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Roborat: I was faced with this same issue when I got my Mi3. To me, labeling a car as "lipo ready" or whatever, should mean that your car works with THE most popular Lipo on the market.

But...as it turns out, the compatibility that Schumacher refered to was with its own lipo. Which is similar in size to the Orion 4800, but has both leads on one side of the pack, thus getting rid of the bulkhead problem.

Anyway...I believe you can fit the Orion 4800, but it does require some fitting. What most people have done is one of a couple things...

-Move the pack far enough to the outside that the clearance for the steering rack is attained, and so that the pack can be plugged in easily. This of course means that the pack will be hanging slightly off the chassis. I think a while back PW had a pic of his car like this.

-Get the new steering arms and move the steering rack forward, then angle the pack so that the battery port at the back clears the bulkhead for easy plugging.

-OR....and this is the one I chose...look at all the options and realize that the pack is never going to fit 'perfectly'. So just sell the Orion 4800 and use that money to buy Orion 3200. The 3200 fits so much easier and after selling the 4800 packs, making the switch is likely not to cost you anything out of pocket.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Darkseid: to be honest i was kinda hoping those options were not the only one's id have ... hahahaha ... thought of the steering rack arm change but i'd have to get hold of that which is a challange on its own given no parts support locally .... and of cors moving the pack with overhand beyond the chassis .... ugly option though.

but yes, kinda disappointing to read a statement like "lipo ready" and not consider the most popular LiPo pack out there (at least where im form) before stating that claim. oh well, im not want to bash ... but it is kinda frustrating to say the least. no too hot about going with 3200s though given i run BL down to 3.5 winds and 3200 worth of capacity is cutting it close i guess especially in our open track ... i find myself using up about 3000mah of my 4800s so id be borderline with the 3200s. I'll look at other LiPos i guess like the Core etc .... bummer!
Old 09-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys ..I run a 4700 lipo called Premium that had a tamyia plug coming out one end...I bought it from Australian supplier(www.harrisrc.com.au)..I put a deans plug on and no problems.....whith your problem can you use a connector to the pack, then run 2 short wires under the bulkhead,to a deans connector or whatever that connects to your speedy.
Another trick to hold the battery in is a strip of velcro along the lipo pack and another strip of velcro on a bar between the posts ....a battery brace that stops the lipo moving anywhere
Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ROBORAT
Darkseid: to be honest i was kinda hoping those options were not the only one's id have ... hahahaha ... thought of the steering rack arm change but i'd have to get hold of that which is a challange on its own given no parts support locally .... and of cors moving the pack with overhand beyond the chassis .... ugly option though.

but yes, kinda disappointing to read a statement like "lipo ready" and not consider the most popular LiPo pack out there (at least where im form) before stating that claim. oh well, im not want to bash ... but it is kinda frustrating to say the least. no too hot about going with 3200s though given i run BL down to 3.5 winds and 3200 worth of capacity is cutting it close i guess especially in our open track ... i find myself using up about 3000mah of my 4800s so id be borderline with the 3200s. I'll look at other LiPos i guess like the Core etc .... bummer!
I hear ya. The 3200 isn't a problem for me, since its mainly 10.5 and 13.5 for me. And we barely go through 1000-1100mah using those motors.

And it definitely sucks to have to switch lipo brands. The new comers may have their pluses, but Orion has proven reliability with this type of pack, and proven customer service. And those are things these new packs can't get just by slapping on some extra mah and slapping on some bogus claim like "matched lipo".

Well, good luck with the new pack. And don't forget to share some pics with us after you've gotten the car ready.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 AM
Tech Addict

Sorry I'm a little behind the curve on this but what is the difference between using the mi3 arms and the EC arms? Why go back to the older arms?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

No provision for roll bar on the old arms i believe.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

hi dudes
can I use the the backside of mi3 diff rings when the normal side a bit worn out???
also does anyone knows the size of diff balls
cheers
P.S
mi2EC arms gives you a bit more overall grip as they are a bit more flex than mi3 ones...
Old 09-27-2007, 08:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

lol i wasnt dogging your Orion's man. i had just heard they were bigger. I was reading last night in xtreme mag about the different packs and looked at the sizes and i guess what i've heard wasnt true (imagine that about LiPo) they're all the same size, so as usual i stand corrected lol

Originally Posted by ROBORAT
abailey: probably so but unfortunately these are the ones i use and have been very happy with them since i purchased them. I know about the Core packs and like that they come with a hard case and of cors max amps (soft packs) but im really looking at making what i currently have work first (if thats possible at all) rather than making a new purchase all together since unfortunately the rc funds are not unlimitted for me ... so any help would really be great .... offhand i was thinking moving the steering assembly forward one hole (which would change ackerman) but that would entail a different rack rod which unfortunately does not come in the box with the kit.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
No provision for roll bar on the old arms i believe.
I just drilled them out.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This question was braught up on another thread. This Quote is from adrian m.

Fitting the Orion 4800 Lipo. If you run this battery you will need to run the optional shorter center track rod and run the steering post one hole futher forward. Its no problem after that change.

The team is 50/50 split on which center track rod they like best the stock or the next shorter. PW like the next shorter one from kit standard. These center track rods will be available either at the same time as the kit or a week later.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

2.5 mm diff balls. The orions 4800 and 3200 will fit fine, fitting all the way on the chassis, and without cutting or tilting . . just be preceise in where you mount it and theres room to clear the belt and still plug in. I was able to get it to work with all of the steering rods. The shorter ne just made it a bit easier.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

off the subject, i am having a real problem with the rear-toe, i have 2mm on the front and 0.5mm on the back, i have the flex wishbones, and the setup station i have keep saying it is 4 degrees on each side, i have checked all the manual the spacers and all the stuff is right, can anyone help
Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

are you running 0* plastic rear hubs or the optional purple aluminum 1* rear hubs? I wasn't sure if this is what you were saying also but do you have the screw blcoks in the correct orientation in the rear? Its a bit convoluted . . .
Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

yes i have the normal rear rubs and the screw blocks are all correct
Old 09-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Do you have any pics???

Wes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.