Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
We dont run the 1mm spacers against the hexes in front on asphalt. We do this to increse offset for foam carpet racing...which reduces traction and thats what you want.
If you are running rubber carpet start out with the stock asphalt hinge pin block spacing in front. For faom tires widen your car so its at 190mm with the 1mm wheel spacers against the hexes.

This is just a starting point.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you are running rubber carpet start out with the stock asphalt hinge pin block spacing in front. For faom tires widen your car so its at 190mm with the 1mm wheel spacers against the hexes.

This is just a starting point.
I will be running carpet foam. So I should run the 1mm spacers up front? Huh. Just make sure that I'm at 190mm with the 1mm foams.

I was just concerned that the front seemed so wide. But if its not an issue, I won't worry about it.

thanks Adrian
Old 08-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Darkseid
I will be running carpet foam. So I should run the 1mm spacers up front? Huh. Just make sure that I'm at 190mm with the 1mm foams.

I was just concerned that the front seemed so wide. But if its not an issue, I won't worry about it.

thanks Adrian
One of foam's dirty little secrets is that few races tech car width. As far as I know only ROAR races do this. I have measured the cars of a few pro racers that were friends of mine at racers like the IIC and Snowbirds and most of their cars were over 190mm by as much as 2mm.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

One of foam's dirty little secrets is that few races tech car width. As far as I know only ROAR races do this. I have measured the cars of a few pro racers that were friends of mine at racers like the IIC and Snowbirds and most of their cars were over 190mm by as much as 2mm.
this is true, but i've never run my car over 190 anywhere. with the new parma or jaco tires (same offset, whereas the old parmas were .75mm wider), the mi3 needs just under 3mm of width spacers per side to get to 190. the standard setup (imo) should use 1mm at the hex, and 2mm at the bulkheads. as you take away from the hex and add the bulkheads, the car quickens up, and rolls less. i have found 1mm at the hex to be a good start. as you add castor, you may want to reduce the hub offset to keep from getting too lazy on center. (of course there are 500 other ways to combat this as well).

because the castor blocks are more fore than aft in the arm, the front pin blocks will contribute to the track width more than the rear (of the front ). 2.5 and 1.5 averages to 2, but you will probably have to go with 2 and 1 if you're keeping the arm sweep. if you are finding your spacing to be much off from this, then there's something else going on.

fyi - i don't like to wedge the car with track width unless it's getting late, and my setup is still severely devoid of steering or stability. there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it, i just choose other ways of tuning first.

- gary redmond -
Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

I've been running 2mm spacers at the bulkheads and 1mm spacers at the rear hex only. This is a good starting point for rubber tire. I've found that it give alittle bit more steering all-around and quickens the steering response.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Old 08-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

On 26th Aug,One of the local race UTP (University Technology Petronas)RC Madness race.
I was TQ in Modify class and won the race.
This is the first win by Mi3 in Malaysia.i was using 7 turn motor.i even overlap the 2nd place driver by a lap!thanks schumacher for this great car!
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Corner-pict0001.jpg  
Old 08-29-2007, 05:59 PM
Tech Champion

I'm setting my Mi3 up to run foam tire carpet. Put the lowered front and rear shock towers. My shocks are set at 60.50mm. Shock is to where the shaft starts to push out on the ball cup. My tires are 56.80mm. The front ride height lowest is 6.5 with the collars turn the whole way up. Rear is 4mm with collars all the way up. Is anyone else having problems getting 4.5mm ride height with lowered shock towers?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

I was also looking at that....

You could lower your arms on the blocks and adjust your roll center at the turnbuckles to compinsate.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SRW141
I'm setting my Mi3 up to run foam tire carpet. Put the lowered front and rear shock towers. My shocks are set at 60.50mm. Shock is to where the shaft starts to push out on the ball cup. My tires are 56.80mm. The front ride height lowest is 6.5 with the collars turn the whole way up. Rear is 4mm with collars all the way up. Is anyone else having problems getting 4.5mm ride height with lowered shock towers?
you need some drop down spring perches from associated (the standard ones for their tc's). after that, the schumacher springs should be a decent fit, but if you're still having problems, or are running longer springs, hack a millimeter off of the ball cup. i have seen plenty of room with xray springs (26mm) and 58mm tires after removing that 1mm from the ball cup.

the towers were designed to be able to slam the body, so they had to be low. in addition to neglecting track width, most foam races (even some national races) won't tech body height. infact, i have taken a file across the top of the tower and flattened off the ears, where all that extra material is. i'm not sure why they decided to make the rears 1-2mm higher. maybe just so you don't have to do those mods to both ends...

anyway, makes the car look two tenths faster, if nothing else.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:07 AM
Tech Addict

Hi Guys

I have a New Mi3 has been only raced twice and it has alot of on power oversteer any ideas on how to fix???
Old 08-30-2007, 03:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Wicksy1
Hi Guys

I have a New Mi3 has been only raced twice and it has alot of on power oversteer any ideas on how to fix???
Thats like calling a doctor on the phone and saying my side hurts please tell me whats wrong with me...lol!

We need a lot more details like do you run on asphalt or carpet, rubber or foam tires, spool, diff or one way, what base setup are you using? Do you have the setup on your car exactly as on the setup sheet? If you miss one detail the whole setup will be off and the car could behave oddly.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by seaball
you need some drop down spring perches from associated (the standard ones for their tc's). after that, the schumacher springs should be a decent fit, but if you're still having problems, or are running longer springs, hack a millimeter off of the ball cup. i have seen plenty of room with xray springs (26mm) and 58mm tires after removing that 1mm from the ball cup.

the towers were designed to be able to slam the body, so they had to be low. in addition to neglecting track width, most foam races (even some national races) won't tech body height. infact, i have taken a file across the top of the tower and flattened off the ears, where all that extra material is. i'm not sure why they decided to make the rears 1-2mm higher. maybe just so you don't have to do those mods to both ends...

anyway, makes the car look two tenths faster, if nothing else.
Thanks Chris. I thought about cutting some off of the ball cups. There had to be something to fix the problem. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:17 PM
PW
Tech Elite

/\
Old 08-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

wow had my first race meeting with Mi3 What a fantastic car I had braken all my personal Records...
Thanx to everyone worked on that cars development...]
Also Thanx to Adrian All his Help And support to All Schumacher Drivers...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.