Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by justin lessard
anyone tried the gray belts for the ec
I've just fitted the front grey belt and will be trying it out tomorrow.

When first fitted it did feel stiffer than the black belt, but of course it is brand new so I will be able to tell a bit better by the end of tomorrow.

Skiddins
Old 05-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
You don't know me like that son See ya at the Reedy. It's sure to be a blast!!!
Uh oh.... restaurants are in cali... my arch nemesis ! Soup ?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

extremely frustrating weekend at our state titles, was well prepared, had assembled new IB3800 packs, with enough tracktime.....everything went to shite in qualifying, I dumped at around the 4 minute mark in all 4 rounds on saturday. Was running at a reasonable pace (probably around 4th-5th on the grid if I could make time.

In vein I tried a different charger (which pumped in a massive 5000mah into my new IB cells! and still dumped. I then tried a higher wind armature (8x1 v2) and geared down further and then still dumped, I then changed speed controller and still dumped...

My only remaining idea as to what caused the problem was a slightly shorted v2 endbell? drawing excessive current.

In practice I was making time with 9 month old GP 3700 and a different 7x1.

My thoughts are either the new 7x1 motor I ran had a slightlyshorted endbell causing excessive current draw. (as I used the same can - endbell and just changed armature to an 8x1.

or my batteries Internal resistance are soo low they can deliver 4500 - 5000 mah in 4 minutes??

Does anyone know if new Ib 3800 take a few cycles to come to life? as these were brand new and hadnt been cycled?

With the inclement weather on sunday we were given no further opportunities to qualify (straight into finals with only 4 rounds of Qualy, the last round being in almost total darkness! waste of time, as I could barely make out the corners!...lol I was left languishing mid B..

with the shite weather On sunday I had enough and decided not to hang around in the freezing cold rain, It looked like it would be rained out for sure so I headed off around 11.30 (they ended up racing after lunch).

I heard from another racer on sunday that v2's are known to short out, as the only insulation from shorting the pos and neg is the annodising on the endbell? Im curious to hear if anyone knows of this and how to check for it.

absolutley frustrated and dumbfounded. Time to change to brushless!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:22 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Great day of racing with my new MI2 EC. TQ'ed 19T and won the main today at the Schumacher sponsored ORL2 series here in NJ. It is a 5 point series at 5 different tracks. My MI2 EC was really great today and especially since it was my first race with it. Very happy with the results. Ran both the Komodo Dragon 19t and the Atlas 19t and both where extremely fast.

Ran a setup PW sent to another driver witha few changes. Car just got better all day long.

Thanks PW.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by King-G
extremely frustrating weekend at our state titles, was well prepared, had assembled new IB3800 packs, with enough tracktime.....everything went to shite in qualifying, I dumped at around the 4 minute mark in all 4 rounds on saturday. Was running at a reasonable pace (probably around 4th-5th on the grid if I could make time.

In vein I tried a different charger (which pumped in a massive 5000mah into my new IB cells! and still dumped. I then tried a higher wind armature (8x1 v2) and geared down further and then still dumped, I then changed speed controller and still dumped...

My only remaining idea as to what caused the problem was a slightly shorted v2 endbell? drawing excessive current.

My thoughts are either the new 7x1 motor I ran had a slightlyshorted endbell causing excessive current draw. (as I used the same can - endbell and just changed armature to an 8x1.

or my batteries Internal resistance are soo low they can deliver 4500 - 5000 mah in 4 minutes??

Does anyone know if new Ib 3800 take a few cycles to come to life? as these were brand new and hadnt been cycled?

With the inclement weather on sunday we were given no further opportunities to qualify (straight into finals with only 4 rounds of Qualy, the last round being in almost total darkness! waste of time, as I could barely make out the corners!...lol I was left languishing mid B..

with the shite weather On sunday I had enough and decided not to hang around in the freezing cold rain, It looked like it would be rained out for sure so I headed off around 11.30 (they ended up racing after lunch).

I heard from another racer on sunday that v2's are known to short out, as the only insulation from shorting the pos and neg is the annodising on the endbell? Im curious to hear if anyone knows of this and how to check for it.

It was probably a combonation of the new batteries and a faulty endbell,I have no problem making runtime with a 8 turn,and i don't have to hold back either.

what brushes were you running,and was your gearing to much?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Great day of racing with my new MI2 EC. TQ'ed 19T and won the main today at the Schumacher sponsored ORL2 series here in NJ. It is a 5 point series at 5 different tracks. My MI2 EC was really great today and especially since it was my first race with it. Very happy with the results. Ran both the Komodo Dragon 19t and the Atlas 19t and both where extremely fast.

Ran a setup PW sent to another driver witha few changes. Car just got better all day long.

Thanks PW.
I'm glad to see someone likes the car
Old 05-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by King-G

Man, that sounds like a frustrating day. Sorry to hear about it. All the IB cells I've had have been great from the first charge on. Not once have I dumped with them since I switched to them 8 or more months ago. I do know that some people have had problems with V2 end bells shorting but I've always seen the positive power wire come unsoldered from that. I guess it could be causing it to dump fast if it's shorting out and not unsoldering the lead. I would absolutely try running the same packs again with a different motor. (endbell and all)
Old 05-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Gearing was spot on, Ive been racing long enough to be able to sort those kind of issues out...It was small - medium sized technical track, with a couple of decent straights with a 180 hairpin requiring braking, only 2 small braking occurances per lap. even with the 8x1 and geared at 8.4:1 I dumped...

I mean cmon, I can make time with my 9 month old 3700's using a 7x1 in practice.....

The wires didnt come unsoldered, but it was extremely cold, could have prevented this, also I use a little overlength motor wires to act as a kind of heatsink, as Ive had v2 motor wires unsoldered in the past, this seemed to help.

I used Brand new brushes every run, sprint edge, with 9 coil medium hard springs .35. (this is perhaps another variable, as I normally run 1 rate softer motor springs. (.32)
Never before had this kind of issue, has to be somehting out of the norm and I beleive its been narrowed down to the motor - endbell. Batteries took in mamoth capacity, yet still dumped. with the packs being new it was my first thought, plus they false peaked twice on my charger, causing me to think this was the problem for the first 2 rounds. They charged fine on my friends CDC charger, which has lockout. and suprised me by the capacity they took in, yet I still dumped that run.

I will try a completely different motor next time out.
It might just be brushless, as Im sick of truing and changing brushes every run!...

Actually one giveaway which lead me to think my speedie was on its way out was the little light inside the endbell was just visibly lit (very Dim) with the car wired up but switched off....lead me to think the switch was faulty, but just could be evidence that the endbell was shorting slightly?

Last edited by King-G; 05-07-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:12 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justin lessard
I'm glad to see someone likes the car
Its been excellent. I think you just need to put the time in and it will work out. Can't run a car for a weekend and expect it to be perfect or as good as a car you ran for months. Normally that just doesn't happen. For me I'm glad I'm back running the Schumacher car. I really like to run their stuff and they are very helpful when I call to talk with Paul and Adrian. Plus support on here is excellent.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I was at the race with WYD and he was dialed. My car was really good as well. ended up finishing 5th in the A about a lap behind WYD, who just owned everyone

This should be a fun summer
Old 05-08-2006, 04:54 AM
Tech Master

Gav, keep your chin up, we've all been there.

Does seem a little odd, i guess all you could try was same motor with your old cells, and old motor with new cells.

Does sound odd that the motor LED was still on when switched off, that suggests that there must have been something there. Worth having a look at the endbell. Generally i find that the LED won't come on below 2 volts when running a motor in. I have seen both these end bells and the boards fail before, although it does seem to be a very low percentage. I saw one that when i hooked it up to my pulsar at a few volts it was pulling a current. Not bad for an endbell on it's own with no brushes or cap board installed!!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Gavin, try not changing anything but your cells. If you have a pack that you know you make run time with (your 3700's) and now you cant make run time, then you know its not the 3800's. I suspect you have something going on with the motor. That's the first place I would investigate once the batteries are ruled out.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:16 AM
PW
Tech Elite

King-G....Like everyone else here I suspect the motor is the major issue. The V2 is known for having issues with the endbells.

I do have another concern; There is no way your 3800 battery should except 5000mah. How hot did your packs get? The IB's don't like getting hot!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

how does this car compare to an xray or a corally?
Old 05-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball
how does this car compare to an xray or a corally?
Is this a trick question, champ ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.