R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #14311
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry
How exactally is droop measured that way? lay the chassis flat and then use calipers to measure??? never seen it done. I usually just use a stepped ride height guage and set droop x.mm over ride height. I guess if you used the calipers it would be finer adjustments.
yep just like that

wheels off chassis flat on a bord then take ya calipers n mesure to the top of the axles
bob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:24 PM   #14312
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry
How exactally is droop measured that way? lay the chassis flat and then use calipers to measure??? never seen it done. I usually just use a stepped ride height guage and set droop x.mm over ride height. I guess if you used the calipers it would be finer adjustments.
I'm not a big fan of measuring droop that way for a couple reasons. First, your camber will change your droop measurement because the angle of the axle is different. Also droop is a function of ride height. If you leave the droop screws where they are and lower the ride height .5mm, you now have .5mm more droop and vice versa. IMO, measuring droop above ride height and using a droop gauge only to make sure both sides are equal is the only way to make sure you get consistent droop measurements.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #14313
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
measuring droop above ride height and using a droop gauge only to make sure both sides are equal is the only way to make sure you get consistent droop measurements.
I agree, this is exactly how I adjust droop.
Sanabria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #14314
Super Moderator

yeah I think I like that way better myself. I was just curious.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #14315
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey do you guys seal carbon fire with super glue?
i tried it on some shock towers last night and the have white powdery spots all over them now. what did ido wrong? can i get the white stuff off?
does the super glue matter i was using some pacer zap-a-gap?
its not bad but looks ugly
M11
SP GT
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #14316
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus jd 2703
hey do you guys seal carbon fire with super glue?
i tried it on some shock towers last night and the have white powdery spots all over them now. what did ido wrong? can i get the white stuff off?
does the super glue matter i was using some pacer zap-a-gap?
its not bad but looks ugly
You can scrape or sand the white stuff off. Then reapply the CA to smooth it out or make it look better.

I have heard that using CA or too much CA to seal carbonfiber can cause the chassis or other parts to tweak or have strange flex characteristics. What I was told is that the glue if its not put on even can wick up in the carbon or collect on the outsides making the chassis or graphite part harder in that location. I donít know if this is true or not just something that an engineer told me. Now all I do is use a q-tip with some thin CA and just run it around the edges after I have sanded them some to take the edges off the part. This works fine and I do not have any problems with carbon layers peeling up.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #14317
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Real acetone from the hardware store will wipe off the powery stuff. To seal my chassis I sand the sharp edges a little and appoly the CA witha Q-tip. Just put a few drops on the Q-tip untill it looks wet and wipe the ca on to the edges of the chassis.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:51 PM   #14318
Tech Champion

Just to add to Kevin's post, the white usually comes from the glue reacting with the oils from your skin. To keep this from happening, after you sand the edges, wash the carbon fiber parts with dish soap and warm water and use gloves to keep the oils off of it. Then just use the q-tip and a thin layer of glue along the outside. I don't usually do shock towers. I just do the main chassis and the top deck.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #14319
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

thanks guys
Adrian will the acetone react with the resin in carbon fibre?
Jon in another forum you said u balance your mi2 by the notch in the shock towers. but the kit ones dont have this notch i have the lower towers with the notch and wondered which of these options would be better:
screw the two towers together ie one low shock tower and one high front shock tower and file i groove
or
put the low towers on ballance the car then remove and swap the other towers on?
i know im over complicating but i just wanna do it the right way.
thanks for your patience guys.
M11
SP GT
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:17 AM   #14320
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No the resin in the carbon is thermoset so it is impervious to just about anything normal people have access to.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #14321
Tech Champion

Personally, I'd be using the lower towers anyways. So yes, put them on and modify the shocks like I mentioned before so they'll work with those towers. Most of our setups use those towers anyways so you'll be on the same page. Plus having that notch, you'll be able to check your tweak and balance easier with them.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:43 PM   #14322
Tech Addict

On the CA tip i've been told that CA does conduct electricity so be carefull if applying around your batteries.

On another note:

Does anyone know of a part that can sufice for the set screws used to set droop? I found some 5 mils by another manufacture but the screws were too short.

And secondly, I some scred up the camber holes on the rear shock mounts for my MI2. Are the lowered carpet towers put out by Schuie the same as the ones produced by BMI? Im speaking in terms of the shock mounting positions as well as the camber link holes. For both i see that they are modified from the original but am not sure if i need to reorder the part from BMI to keep the same setup options.

Thanks.
IslandBwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #14323
Tech Elite

I find using nail varnish is better than CA glue as nail varnish has some flexibility, where CA glue cracks under stress.

You can also get it to match the colour of the anodising

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #14324
Tech Addict

Speaking of which, i still havent found an easy way to balance my car even with the modified towers. I've found that the notches are so low that its hard to get anything threaded from the back mount to the front mount that wont touch the top deck. If any of you guys have a rig you would like to share please send pics.

Personally i have a set of scales but using those makes me want to pull out my hair.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:07 PM   #14325
Tech Addict

Next question: Is there any difference in how the car would drive if you shortened the wheelbase by spacing the front end back by 1 mil vs. spacing the rear forward by 1 mil???