01-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
How to fit any spur gear to an Mi2EC
The Mi2EC's come with a counter-bored spur gear so the button heads used to screw the spur gear to the gear adapter do not interfere with the center pulley.
Originally we suggested countersinking your spur gears and using flat heads but there is a much easier way.
1. Assemble the layshaft as directed in the manual.
2. Mount your favorite brand spur gear to the included spur gear adapter.
3. Test fit the spur adapter to the layshaft.
You will find you can't slide in the pin to lock the spur adapter in place because the button head screws hit the center pulley fence and won't let the pin holes on the spur adapter and layshaft line up. Note that only the bottom half of the button head touches the pulley fence.
4. Mark the two spots on the pulley fence where the button heads hit with a marker.
5. Use a sharp hobby knife to remove a tiny amount of the plastic from the side of the pulley fence where you marked it so the the button head can slightly recess into it.
You won't have to remove much material at all since only the bottom half of the button head is near the pulley fence.
That's it...Now any brand spur gear smaller than 90T (48P) and 118T (64P) will fit perfectly!
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series