R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-06-2002, 05:06 PM   #1231
Tech Adept

KK so did you change the turnbuckles?? Or would you reccomend me changing them? The new ones look like about 2 maybe 3 threads more than stock!! I guess Paul would know but just making sure he didn't send wrong ones. Any word on Snowbirds..who's fast (SCHUMACHER) or what the word may be on Cyrul and supposed falling out with Trinity? Later
wilson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 05:22 PM   #1232
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Wilson.....I use the stock ones I dont like the Tietanium ones if thats what he sent you. Im sure he sent ya the right ones. I heard that Cyrul is back on TT now.....Im not sure what happened but I see they patched things up.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 06:05 PM   #1233
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Jumping in with Both Feet!

Hey All...I'm jumping in here...

I just bought 3 Axis 2's, one for me, and the other two for two friends.

I'll be racing in Scottsdale, AZ, and at the two Hobbytowns.

The HobbyTowns are Parking lot races, and the Scottsdale track is a smooth aspahlt surface, which is hosed off and LIGHTLY sprayed with a traction compound (Could be sugar water for all I know)

We took my TC3 out last week, and without traction compound, it was on ice, big time. After some Traction compound, things improved, and it was at least driveable...before the Main, we slapped Silver Springs in the rear, and it seemed better...My buddy finished 3rd in the B. This was he first time either of us have raced in over 3 years! I took a long Hiatus, and am now jumping back in with both feet! The car seemed to be a bit loose going into the corners, and pushed pretty hard coming out of them. The car does NOT have a one-way anything on it. After speaking to a couple of guys on the various boards, I decided that I'd go the Schuie route, as I've had offroad cars of theirs before, and been VERY happy with them. I guess after all this background info, here's the question...

Running this track, which is fairly tight, must run rubber tires, (Everyone seems to like the Medium Yok's with Medium inserts) What do you all recommend as a starting base setup? The races are 4 minutes (Yes, I know!) and we're running stock...we make run time even with old 2000's, what gearing should I start out with with a P2k? We run at night, and the outside temps are about 50-60 degrees F. What tires do you think would hook up well. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

BTW, anyone have a spare Axis 2 manual they'd like to part with/sell?

Thanks!

Ron
AZ_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:29 AM   #1234
Tech Regular

Default Damn DOOOD

Hey Guys,
I was all hyped about buying a new Mission, and then I called my local track and was talking with a buddy down there. He said that they are set up with Schumacher USA but absolutley will not order from them. He said that they quit ordering from them because the guys at Schumacher USA wouldnt give them delivery dates on stuff and wouldnt tell them if the part they needed was in stock or not. So, the end of it all is they wont order anything anymore. So my parts availability is shot all to hell. I asked him who they dealt with when ordering stuff and he said that it was some guy named Robin. I just wanted to find out for sure if this is still the quid pro quo down there or if things have changed at Schumacher. I really want the MIssion but if I have no parts support at all I will have to go with something else. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me this has changed Adrian........
Thanx
IKE
FoamDonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:39 AM   #1235
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Turnbuckles

28mm should be fine. I have rarely had any problem with the stock steel ones. The only ones that i have had the problem with was the 23mm ones (supposedly 25!!) that come with the full ti kit from Schumacher. I have changed to 33mm on my car so that should remove the problem totally!!

Foam, I'm guessing that the "Robin" that your local guys refer to is none other than Managing director Robin Schumacher. Now having met him many times i find the story that you have been given very unlikely.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:43 AM   #1236
Tech Regular

I forgot to put in my first post that I live in the States. Sometimes I forget that we are a worldwide community.

MATT,
And that is what I had figured from what I have seen on here from Adrian and PW. Was this just a freak occurance???? I dont know I just need parts support. Is there someone special that the owner of the track should talk to or something????
IKE

Last edited by FoamDonuts; 02-07-2002 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:20 AM   #1237
Tech Adept

Default Parts

Well my LHS that carried Schumacher pretty much went under, so with that said do as I did. Buy the car then a few weeks later buy 2 pairs each of lower and uppers, bumper, springs, belts, and any goodies (hopups) ya want, You will be covered! This car is stout!!
Old 02-07-2002, 02:39 AM   #1238
Tech Regular

Wilson,
Does it break anything else??? I just want to know what to stock up on.
IKE
Old 02-07-2002, 05:51 AM   #1239
Tech Adept

Default parts

Personally I probably went overboard but I bought enough to cover me for AWHILE!!! I mean I haven't broke anything major really. I bent a hingepin but was able to finish the day and not realized I had done it until I got home, and also I tried running the inline hubs and the turnbuckles do not have enough threads in the upper arms when you do this so I split one upper arm. Just call Schumacher talk to Paul or Adrian and let them know your situation. They will help you out with what parts you may need more than others but basically I bought 2 of everything major ( 2 lower arms 2 upper arms (front and rear),2 pair of front Ti hingepins, Springs for tuning, Belts (probably won't need but NEVER know), front bumper (could happen it takes alot of abuse some days) also I bought the pivot blocks just as a precaution, I am sure they will probably NEVER break BUT if that one time were to happen its such rare parts it would be nice to have. The list above should possibly get you through a whole season if you do not crash too much Buy the car and parts and feel good about it and know you have an awesome car!!
Old 02-07-2002, 07:20 AM   #1240
Tech Elite

To help with upper arms splitting, thread the turnbuckle deeper into the arm and out of the ball cup. The ball cups would seem to never break, so threading them out farther isn't a problem.
cornerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 07:45 AM   #1241
Tech Adept

Foamdonuts,
My LHS tried to tell me the same thing when I ordered my Mission, "You will never get parts, if you do it will take months" After they called, they are singing a different tune, "That guy at Schumacher is the coolest! We can have any part you want for your Mission within a week. They told me about their new dish wheels...I am getting some, would you like me to order you some also? By the way, they told me your Mission will ship out Monday and be here by the end of the week." My car will be here today or tomorrow. Tell your LHS to give them another try, or order your car and parts from Steve at speedtechrc.com.
racerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 08:10 AM   #1242
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ANYONE???

Anyone have a recommended starting setup for the conditions I listed above? Tire recommendations? For an Axis 2.

Track info:

Smooth asphalt
Temp: 50-60 Degrees F.
Medium bite
medium to small size track
some pretty tight turns
Running Stock motors 2000-2400 Batts
Heats and Races are 4 minutes.
MUST run RUBBER tires

Thanks!!

Ron
AZ_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:47 PM   #1243
Tech Regular

Ok Guys I have climbed down off the wall now!!!! hehehhehe I ordered my car(LHS) and we will see what happens. Lets hope for the best.
IKE
Old 02-07-2002, 12:50 PM   #1244
Tech Addict

Hi Ron, here's my last s/u before switching to the Mission.
  • Front
    #1 shock upper
    10* castor
    anti roll bar - yes
    1* toe-in
    1.5* camber
    60wt
    asc #3 pistons
    blue springs
    4.5mm ride
    !!! Note !!! 99 Pro Shock tower
  • Rear
    anti-squat --- 1 steel washer front and rear
    #2 shock upper
    anti roll bar - yes
    1.5* camber
    4.5mm ride
    1.5* toe-in
    55wt
    asc #3 pistons
    black springs
    !!! Note !!! 99 Pro tower
  • Stock motor
    31/116 for 5 min
    metal d/s
    ABS and One-way
    Sorex 36R w/ HPI grn inserts
Hope this helps. PS Any idea how many entries for Cactus Classic yet? Am holding off on my entry only because of uncertain on my work schedule, but I do have my hotel reservations in. I'm planning on running 40+ Stock truck and 4wd Mod.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:25 PM   #1245
Tech Addict

Hey Ron, got any ideas for tire choices for Cactus?