R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-29-2002, 10:52 PM   #1156
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool

Sup guys, great site very informative. I'll get right to business. I race on a smooth, high traction asphalt surface. What is a good base setup to start with. I currently run.

17 tooth pully
Red Springs front & back
60 wt oil front & back
everything else pretty much stock.

All ideas welcome.

Adrian, have the alloy pulleys and screw kits arrived yet? I need them baaaaadly.

Ran my first race with the car last Saturday. Car was fast and agile just the way I like it. Looking to get faster and more agile.

Peace
Ill Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 11:45 PM   #1157
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

MattW: I will try that, but I'm afraid it's too loose. If you like it loose, try flipping the coned washer around and not so much fibers from the carpet will get to the bearings. 4mm shims would be ideal, but they are surpricingly hard to reach. Sorry everyone for my attitude, I'm just picky by nature. Being Finnish and an engineer at the same time is not easy No compromises allowed!

PS. A hint for everybody. When your Schuie bearings come to the end of their road, check out www.bocabearing.com really superb quality. For example 5x10x4 bearings for the hubs with rubber seals are only 2$ each. They sell also Abec#7&9, ceramic, stainless, ultrasels,...
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 02:37 AM   #1158
Tech Regular

JesseT,
I've bought an Atlas spacer kit that had thicknesses if 0.1 and 0.4 in an assorted packet, or just get some 0.5 and file or sand them down.
BagofSkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 05:12 AM   #1159
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

_neas_: Trips is right about the Schumacher manuals and aftermarket support. The manuals are always good and the aftermarket support is handled directly by SchumacherUSA. No, you wont find All Aluminum chassis and nonsense like that for Schumachers, like you will the TC3, but really, who needs it.

Also, SpeedTechRC usually carries hopups for the Schumacher cars. But their the same hopups you can get from Schumacher directly.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:37 AM   #1160
Tech Apprentice

Dumb question, but where can I find a ton of info on the car? With picks of the chassis from diff angles etc? www.racing-cars.com doesnt seem to have anything (whats up with that????). Is there a specific Schumacher USA site?
thanks
_neas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 07:41 AM   #1161
Tech Regular

Ill: It sounds like you are in the ballpark. What tires are you running and what's the track temp like?

Congrats to PW and the rest of the Schumacher drivers at the Novak race. Next up, Snowbirds and then the Carpet Nats...
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 07:49 AM   #1162
Tech Regular

neas: The mag reviews should be out rather quickly now and they will have lots of pictures. Xtreme R/Cs is due this issue (it's the review that I like best...inside joke). There are some pictures on this site several pages back, too...quite a few as I recall. Maybe you can do a search, I'm not sure. Either way, the Mission should be better than your current car and, suprisingly enough, more mainstream. If you have any specific questions about the car, just ask, call Schumacher (either Adrian or Paul Wynn will answer the phone) or you can email me direct @ JMaurer1@Concentric.Net and I'll be more than happy to help.
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 08:01 AM   #1163
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Jesse, I know what you are saying, it isn't a problem running with the total of 3 shims, you can only feel the smallest amounts of play. My car currently has 1 thick spacer in there, but i will probably take that out next time i re-build it, as i think it is a little too tight.

I was getting some bearings from BOCA, did you find it easy enough to get them sent from the USA?? Are the rubber sealed ones ok?? I would have thought there would be a little drag on them.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:08 PM   #1164
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

_neas_

I also have an RCLab car, while it is a decent kit, it does not compare to the Mission. I have never heard any compaints about the build quality, or manual on any Shumacher product. And I agree Trips, the only aftermarket parts that may be needed are made by Schumacher. The Mission is the best touring car I have ever owned.

Jesse , I am with ya on the boca bearings, much better then the OEM's ...Les @ mdiracing put together a full green seal bearing kit for the Mission, not sure of the cost though.

Adrian, what are the current setups for Carpet ? Looks like Paul W has some Red and Grey springs on his car for the Novak Race, and Do you know what some of the winners from Minnreg were running ?
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:38 PM   #1165
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Ottoman....Timmy was running HPI orange springs. The rest of his setup I am not to sure about. I do belive that Pual had some Yokomo springs on his car at one time as he was trying many different shock setups all weekend.

Here is what I ran all weekend with this setup, week to week at S&N the car was really good, but at the NOVAK race it was a little loose then had too much traction I dont know why, the track was weird all weekend.
Front
50wt Losi oil 2 hole vari
67mm long shocks
Losi Blue springs
#3 hole on the tower and inside on the a-arm
lower hole on the upper mount and inline on the hub
minn. castor and lower a-arms shimmed forward
1deg camber and .5 toe-in
2deg arm sweep
5.5mm ride hight 3mm of droop over ride hight

Rear
50wt losi oil 3 hole vari
67mm long shocks
losi Red springs
#2 hole on the tower and inside on the a-arm
lower hole on upper mount and inside hole on hub(NOT Inline)
Lower a-arm spaced to the middle
1.5 deg camber and 2.5 deg toe-in
0deg arm sweep
6mm ride hight 2mm of droop over ride hight

Notes
I ran the 1 way diff and stiff sway bars all the way around I took the rear bar and connected it to the lower a-arm.
Ran sorex 28's with Echo red inserts but ran in the mains Yokomo 139g's with Echo red inserts and they were much better. I would have ran the Yokes all weekend but I had only one set and saved them for the triple main sence I was able to stay in the main all weekend off my first run.

The car was very good in the main but it was hard to make up room comming from 9th on the grid. I was up to 3rd in the first and last mains but dumb luck moved me back to 6th both times and I ended up tied for 7th over all.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:40 PM   #1166
Tech Apprentice

Okay, you devils....you talked me into it.

Here goes another $300... Where should I buy? My regular place is Speedtechrc.com out of California...I suppose I can see if my LHS can get one in too...who distributes Schumacher? Does the LHS have to deal directly with Schumacher?
Thanks
-S
_neas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:44 PM   #1167
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

neas.....yes your LHS can get it direct from Schumacher in FL. or you can call them and order it yourself.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 04:46 PM   #1168
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If your regular place is SpeedtechRC, why not just get the car from them. They have both the S1 composite kit and the full graphite kit.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:56 PM   #1169
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Kevin.... Thanks for the setup. Its about time we get serious and start running the Mission. I had a pretty good setup with the Losi so we ran that at the Novak race. Unfortunatly we had worked out the setup with Pits 27's and Scotty couldnt get any for the race. We tried Sorex 28's in one heat but it slowed down so we ran one set of 27's all week (except for that one heat) and that really hurt us, but hey, we had a great time anyway! The stiff bars you ran, are they a option part?
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 09:34 PM   #1170
Tech Regular

KevinK,
Why were you running the Echo inserts? Of course, not sure of the type of carpet or the amount of traction, but the Sorex Type A or Type B inserts are faster on the rug out here in CA.

The echo's do not fill the tire enough and allows too much squirm between the tire and the rim.

...hehe.......just a thought for next time!
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote