R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #11476
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto Falcon
Hey Jon is it better to use the stock raiser plate in the front when using the BMI chassis?
Depends on the rest of the setup. The setup I'm running now (almost exactly PW's current setup) I like having the riser in. If I needed more aggressive steering, I may take it out and put in 1 or 1.5mm spacers to lower it.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:35 AM   #11477
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Roberto Falcon

I'm using 1mm shims up front and the stock plate in the rear with 40w oil and silver springs around . I tried the PW setup but the car was easy to drive but I couldnt push it or it will fishtale on corners

You think I should put the stock plate in the front and just raising the rear 1mm higher? The thing I want to get is why raise the rear I never had a car that I needed to have the rear that high .

Last edited by Roberto Falcon; 10-20-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Roberto Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:45 AM   #11478
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffyjnr5
Jon,
I went out for another run using the PW setup and it was still quite taily even when the tyres come up to temp anything you can suggest maybe raising the rear roll centre 1mm from standard.

Taffyjnr5
Something that may or may not apply but is worth a shot before you change anything else. I had that problem and simply turned down my radios dual rate and steering expo to around -20% (in mod reducing throttle expo may help too) A guy I race with somtimes Mike Lufaso (2005 1/12 Nats champ) told me about the neg expo calming the car down, that helped to keep me from oversteering the car coming out of turns the cool thing is if it doesn't work just readjust the radio to the previous settings.

Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #11479
Tech Champion

That's a good point. Also, are you limiting your steering throw like we were talking about earlier?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #11480
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Alright guys...There are 2 types of setups:

1. Easy to drive and can be pushed without worry. This setup would be considered a car that pushes. It will normally be off .1 or .2 sec per lap, but will give you more consistent laps and probably a better overall time. Very popular setup with myself and Barry Baker

2. On the edge and will get loose if pushed to hard (lots of oversteer). This setup will be fastest, but won't allow for any mistakes. It will give you those fast single laps, but very hard to be consistent lap to lap and qualifier to qualifier. Very popular for drivers like Masami, Hara etc.

Recently I have been testing and racing with #2 trying to really control my driving. Most people that try my more recent setups tend to over drive them and loose traction. Plus my local track is very high traction for rubber tires
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pw_#1_asphalt.pdf (322.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: pdf pw_#2_asphalt.pdf (320.0 KB, 113 views)

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #11481
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

If your car is over rotating, move your rear arms all the way back if they are not already

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:55 PM   #11482
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW
Alright guys...There are 2 types of setups:

1. Easy to drive and can be pushed without worry. This setup would be considered a car that pushes. It will normally be off .1 or .2 sec per lap, but will give you more consistent laps and probably a better overall time. Very popular setup with myself and Barry Baker

2. On the edge and will get loose if pushed to hard (lots of oversteer). This setup will be fastest, but won't allow for any mistakes. It will give you those fast single laps, but very hard to be consistent lap to lap and qualifier to qualifier. Very popular for drivers like Masami, Hara etc.

Recently I have been testing and racing with #2 trying to really control my driving. Most people that try my more recent setups tend to over drive them and loose traction. Plus my local track is very high traction for rubber tires
I always practice with #2, I'd really recommend that as it really helps your driving, it's more fun too!
Orion Vortex Motors and ESC
Wirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #11483
Tech Addict

Good to see that you guys are remaining consistant with your recommendations Paul. As i was reading through the comments about the new setup i started to reply with what you've already said with fewer words. If i remember correctly when you first sent the setup the suggestions were "This setup is for a smooth driving style....slower is faster". And that is what we are seeing.

Thanks.
IslandBwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:47 PM   #11484
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

PW- Thanks for the info this morning. I hope that it all works out this weekend!!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 07:19 PM   #11485
Tech Addict

Hey all,

More about my spur gear assembly: Now that i've decided to 'invent' me a spacer (one to replace the long cone spacer the sits closest to the motor) I'm not sure that it will even fit! Can someone confirm for me that the spacer is indeed needed on the BMI2 chasis? The pully mounts seem to sit too close together for their to be a spacer in btwn there. In fact after screwing on the pully mounts to the chasis everything seems to fit perfectly without the long coned spacer.

Is the Spacer needed on the BMI Chasis?

MI JEDI
Old 10-20-2005, 07:28 PM   #11486
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

RKeaser,
Next time out I will reduce steering throw I think it is still at 100%.I think this may help the problem as I must be oversteering it.

Taffyjnr5
Taffyjnr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:35 PM   #11487
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBwoy
Hey all,

More about my spur gear assembly: Now that i've decided to 'invent' me a spacer (one to replace the long cone spacer the sits closest to the motor) I'm not sure that it will even fit! Can someone confirm for me that the spacer is indeed needed on the BMI2 chasis? The pully mounts seem to sit too close together for their to be a spacer in btwn there. In fact after screwing on the pully mounts to the chasis everything seems to fit perfectly without the long coned spacer.

Is the Spacer needed on the BMI Chasis?

MI JEDI
Those mounts should all be the same on the BMI chassis as the stock chassis.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:52 PM   #11488
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If your using the alum spur adaptor you shouldnt need the long cone washer, just the short one. If the mounts were closer together on the BMI chassis everything wouldnt line up right and you wouldnt be able to use the stock topdeck (which you can).

Riding Bikes | Skiing | Helis | Rotor Rage | Cyclone Blades | RC Trim | Dead Kat Raceway
mini-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:30 PM   #11489
Tech Addict

Yeah. I'm using the aluminum spur adapter like you said. Maybe i never had the darn thing and just thought i did. I swear the pully mounts are closer as far as I can see but then again its late for me so I'll look at it again in the morning. I'll see what happens when in try to fit the BMI flex top deck vs. the stock one.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:34 PM   #11490
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Roberto Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandBwoy
Yeah. I'm using the aluminum spur adapter like you said. Maybe i never had the darn thing and just thought i did. I swear the pully mounts are closer as far as I can see but then again its late for me so I'll look at it again in the morning. I'll see what happens when in try to fit the BMI flex top deck vs. the stock one.
Hey when are you going to come up to TQ again and race?