R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #10786
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'll take a look. I may not be able to get back to you until this evening. I'm heading out for a day with the little woman
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #10787
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
I'll take a look. I may not be able to get back to you until this evening. I'm heading out for a day with the little woman
Isn't that cute....LOL
Old 08-28-2005, 07:01 PM   #10788
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeasler
Jon I will email it to you.

Rod
Got it. I sent you back an Email. Hope it helps.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:22 PM   #10789
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DUB
Thought I would post a pic of the new shell before it gets to beat up
awesome paint job!!!

did you do that yourself?
torps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:53 AM   #10790
Tech Elite

Default Blades

How long do the blades last? Is it a good idea to have some spare ones, or will I do fine, if I check them once in a while?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:56 AM   #10791
Tech Elite

Mechanical grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed
....Feels like the front end is getting its mechanical grip. Did not have to brakes
I've heard the expression "mechanical grip" before, but I dont understand it...

Can you guys please explain it for me?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:04 AM   #10792
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is there anyway you can tell if you've overheated rubber tyres just by looking at them?

On Sunday I tried that new camber link position and it seemed to give me the steering I've been missing, however the car started to build up understeer later in the race.

I then spent the rest of the day trying to get that steering back but it just wasn't happening

For the final I put a heavier sway bar on the rear (black) and then half way thru the race the rear seemed to lose grip and started sliding everywhere

My first thought is overheated tyres but they look in very good condition, plus I was running sorex 36's and most other in Mod were running 32's and not having any problems. As it was a cool day I don't see how I could be buring up the tyres?
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:19 AM   #10793
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender
Is there anyway you can tell if you've overheated rubber tyres just by looking at them?

On Sunday I tried that new camber link position and it seemed to give me the steering I've been missing, however the car started to build up understeer later in the race.

I then spent the rest of the day trying to get that steering back but it just wasn't happening

For the final I put a heavier sway bar on the rear (black) and then half way thru the race the rear seemed to lose grip and started sliding everywhere

My first thought is overheated tyres but they look in very good condition, plus I was running sorex 36's and most other in Mod were running 32's and not having any problems. As it was a cool day I don't see how I could be buring up the tyres?
Actually, you can see graining on the tires, this have happened to me many times with Sorex 36's. This usually occurs in the front tires when going out too hard on a new set, if you survive the first couple of runs, you should be ok. Just turning in a bit easier in the high-speed corners helps a lot.

Setup wise you can go a bit softer. I would not recommend removing rear grip, sliding outdoors will cost you a lot of time.

But remember, once graining has occured, you will never get the grip back in the tire, so you're pretty much screwed.

Hope this helps a little bit at least :-)
Orion Vortex Motors and ESC
Wirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:27 AM   #10794
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
Got it. I sent you back an Email. Hope it helps.
Thanks Jon for the help I will make those changes soon may not get to test for a few days with Katrina wetting everything up maybe by the weekend.

Rod
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:15 AM   #10795
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle
Mechanical grip is a term i would use to describe the car generating alot of natural grip (not from the tyres), generally the more chassis flex a car has the more natural/mechanical grip it will generate. Having more chassis flex will make the car easier to drive but it wont be as responsive or as nimble as a stiffer car that doesnt have any chassis flex. The car with more chassis flex wont work the tires as hard either and you can often run a higher temp rating of tires because of this natural grip. Where the stiffer car needs the softer/lower temp rating of tyre to work. For example when you race on carpet you run your car really stiff with no chassis flex as there is so much grip but if you raced on slippy floor where there is very little grip you would want a car that has more chassis flex to get some mechanical grip back. Hope that helps, if not i'm sure someone else could explain it better in less that 50 words
Old 08-29-2005, 06:22 AM   #10796
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
Mechanical grip is a term i would use to describe the car generating alot of natural grip (not from the tyres), generally the more chassis flex a car has the more natural/mechanical grip it will generate. Having more chassis flex will make the car easier to drive but it wont be as responsive or as nimble as a stiffer car that doesnt have any chassis flex. The car with more chassis flex wont work the tires as hard either and you can often run a higher temp rating of tires because of this natural grip. Where the stiffer car needs the softer/lower temp rating of tyre to work. For example when you race on carpet you run your car really stiff with no chassis flex as there is so much grip but if you raced on slippy floor where there is very little grip you would want a car that has more chassis flex to get some mechanical grip back. Hope that helps, if not i'm sure someone else could explain it better in less that 50 words
Okay thanks. It makes sense to some extend, but it also raises new Q's - at least for me

So what about grip gained from camber links. Or using softer springs. Is that from the trires or the chassis? Or...??? Or am I looking at it from a wrong point?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:28 AM   #10797
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Can someone please give me a roll out to start out with using a Reddy 19 turn with foam tire's? This will be the first year we are running foam 19 turn so I need a good idea as to what I should gear this thing at. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:33 AM   #10798
Regional Moderator

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Racer_Chick Send a message via MSN to Racer_Chick

Thanks for the help yesterday PW. The car was so much better!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:03 AM   #10799
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey guys, I just got my Mi2 over the weekend but I am yet to run it. A few quick ???s before I do. I will be running the car on a medium sized carpet track, using foams.

First, I bought the car used, it has the aluminum rear hubs and aluminum spur gear adapter. Is there any other upgrades I need? I know people say to upgrade to TRF shock, but I want to know why? The schumacher shocks seem very smooth and I dont see the point in spending that kind of money on new shocks.

2. The car came with a 124 tooth spur. What is a good starting pinion to run for stock? I know I will need to fine tune the gearing for the track I am running, but I would just like to know a good starting point.

3.What a some good spares to have on hand? I am ordering a bunch of stuff from Schumacher and would like to know what brakes alot.

Any other info you guys have would be great. I am very impressed by the design of this car, I cant wait to get it on the track.
Thanks
Drew
SQC049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:36 AM   #10800
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle

Can you guys please explain it for me?

Thanks.
Mechanical grip is the opposite of aero grip. Mechanical grip is any kind of grip generated by the car itself. The suspension, tires, chassis etc... So spring rates, camber links, tire compounds, all that stuff will effect the mechanical grip the car gets. On the other side, aero grip is generated by the body.