R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2001, 05:35 PM   #916
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

STL: Thanks for the kind words (?). I set TQ, and a new track record, but brushed one pipe in the main and I'm suddenly in 7th...but I knew that I was going to end up at least 2nd and I did...
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2001, 08:45 PM   #917
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Racer X- Everyone was tucked in behind one another so a crash was going to be very costly at the start. We wanted to see you and Alex duke it out for 5 min but you let us down "I want my money back"...LOL I didn't get to see your TQ run so I assume that the steering problem was fixed. I'll catch you next Saturday if you come out.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:58 AM   #918
Tech Rookie

Default Schumacher Mission Questions

Hello Schumacher Corner!! Long time watcher, first time post-er. I am trying to find out as much information on the new Mission as possible before plunking down the $$$. I have noticed that many of you have mentioned using the one-way as well as the grey belts. If possible, could you tell me why this seems to be such a popular upgrade on what appears to be a great car out of the box? Is it necessary for most tracks? I mostly race on smaller prepped concrete tracks where Sorex 24s/ Medium Inserts are the norm for tires. Thank you.
623B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 11:06 AM   #919
Tech Regular

623B: Almost everyone running a TC (at least competitively) runs a one way. It adds more turn in and middle of the corner speed to the car (on the Mission, it mostly adds middle of the turn speed since turn in is killer). One ways don't have to overcome the friction of the diff before the wheels can turn at different speeds (in corners) so they react quicker. As for the grey belts, they are supposed to be a softer material. I have a grey belt on my car, and I have run the car without it...I can't say that there was any real difference. The only other upgrade to really concider is the threaded shock bodies. It makes setting ride heigth much easier and precise. Anyway you look at it, however, the car is extremely adjustable and fast. Unlike some cars (I'm not going to mention any names, they know who they are), you could run the car straight out of the box with the diff and be competitive (and much more reliable). I won with my box stock car first time out with the diff, but who wants to be competitive when you can have a car thats better than everyone elses? (lol)
Old 12-31-2001, 11:30 AM   #920
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Racer X, do you run a one-way when you run foams(that's if you ever run foams)??? I have found that the car is harder to drive with a one-way and is very unpredictable in the corners.
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 12:38 PM   #921
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

RacerX's comments on oneways are true but only for high traction track and larger flowing tracks. However, there are always exceptions. On smaller and lower bite tracks diffs will be faster. At my local asphalt tracks every has to run diffs to be fast. All of the Yokomo drivers here had to rig their car to be full time 4wd. At the last carpet race I attended diffs ended up being faster than oneways. We usually show up at asphalt races with diffs and carpet races with oneways installed an go from there.

We usually run oneways on carpet with rubber tires but never with foam. You will go slower if you run a one way with foam. Foam with oneways makes any car too hard to control.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 01:41 PM   #922
Tech Rookie

Smile

Thank you, Racer X and Adrian for your speedy reply. While knowing what a one-way does, it helps to hear others explain what it does on their particular car. There was a gentleman from Dallas at an area track this weekend with a Mission. I didn't get to be there, but the LHS owner told me about his car and what he did to it over the course of the weekend to get it dialed in. He ended up using a one-way and because he ran stock, he installed the grey belts. That track is pretty small (8 second laps) and has an average to high amount of natural traction. It is gritty painted floor, indoors, and we do not have to run any chemicals on the tires for added grip. In fact, chemicals tend to ruin the traction characteristics of the tires. Any more info on tips and things about the Mission of interest ie. things that break easily, maintenance issues etc, would be greatly appreciated. Not being a Schumacher rich environment, going that direction would be a hinderance if the car breaks easily and I have to wait for the shop to order goodies until they started stocking items. Once again, thank you very much and Happy New Year all!!
Old 12-31-2001, 03:47 PM   #923
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Well I got to run my Mission for the first time this weekend...all I can say is WOW. Built the car box stock with the exception of titanium turnbuckles and hingpins and it weighs 50.1 oz with rubber tires. No needed hopups to get under weight like most other cars. Car handled great for the first time out on the track and will get better with some more time. Qualified 6th and finished 4th out of about 30 cars or so in stock. Pretty good for only running touring car 3 times this year!!

623B---I think I hit everything on the track at one time or another and didnt break anything. Car seems very durable and easy to make changes on.

Will post more on setup tonight and add a few building tips for those getting a Mission.

eric a
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 06:09 PM   #924
Tech Rookie

EA Motorsports: Thanks for the reply, especially about hitting a bunch of stuff. I smack stuff all night, I'm a drummer. haha I appreciate your reply and time. Wow, Murfreesboro? I have some friends in Nashville in a band called Phoenix Rising. They are special people with a great show. Check them out sometime. Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2001, 06:22 PM   #925
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Oasis2001

623B - I feel that the car is very good straight out of the box. i havent done anything to the car and am running box standard and am competitive right away with some of the best drivers in Australia, including one driver who came 4th in the Tamiya World Championships!

We run on a large track here in Melbourne Australia which is medium grip level. Everyone is running a oneway except for me(coming soon!) but I have found the car to be very good with 2 normal diffs. Yes turnin is pretty nuts and I am actually dialling out steering a bit.

What are people's opinions of the inboard toes now that we have had time to test them. What do we honestly find with them

Also Happy New Year to everyone here and thanks for all your help over the year, especially AdrianM, RacerX, MattW and anyone else. Starting to sound like the Grammys or something!

Have a good one
Oasis2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 04:57 AM   #926
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Chris, I did some testing with the pin angles last week. Both adjstments seem to do exactly what you would expect. I angled the fronts first. This seems to feel quite a bit like either more caster and offset hubs (instead of in-line). There was a little less turn-in but the car would hold a very good consistant line through the rest of the corner.

Then i went to inboard at the rear, this just seemed to give the car more grip. That combined with the front left me with a car that was understeering, especially when the tyres were cold.

I moved the rear shocks to the outside hole on the wishbone and this gave me more steering and a very balenced car. I'd had enough by then!! but given a bit more track time i would probably move the rear wishbone back so that the wheelbase was the same as it would be with parallel pin. The wishbone needs moving 1mm to get this.

Happy new year all....
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 04:45 PM   #927
Tech Regular

623B: Where are you running in Dallas. I was there about a month ago and told that all the on-road racers werer waiting for some place to open north of town and the only on-road track was a temp track between Dallas and Ft Worth. I usually make it down there two or three times a year. Maybe we can run into each other sometime...

Oasis: Thanks for the kind words. It's been fun helping you and all the others out (not to mention the help I get in return).
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:23 PM   #928
Tech Addict

Saturday at So-Cal some of the Asc and Losi guys were making quiet jokes about "mission impossible". But by the end of the night alot of people were looking real closely at Donnie's and my car (even though I only made the B Sportsman Stock main). We know it's more like "Mission from GOD". Nice having the last laugh.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:56 PM   #929
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to tc3driver
Default SCHUMACHER ROX!!!!!

Congrats socal racers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got one thing to say Schumacher rules, everything els drools!
tc3driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 08:56 PM   #930
Tech Apprentice

Hey fellas, what's your take on droop settings? Right now, I'm running 3mm front and rear on my Axis 2. Was running less on the front, but that end was lifting during acceleration coming out of turns causing a slight push. Changed it to 3 and no more push. Any opinions?

BTW, All of Schumacher drivers at our track, 4 Axis 2s, 2 missions, always make an appearance in the A-main.

Last edited by Stika525; 01-01-2002 at 10:47 PM.
Stika525 is offline   Reply With Quote