R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2004, 03:09 PM   #7276
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah, I file down the nub on the motor mount too.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:24 PM   #7277
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dway100
I am getting a Mi2 but I have a few questions.
Do the stock bearings need degreasing?
Can you adjust the belt tension on the rear belt?
How stiff is the standard carbon chassis?
How is the car on small carpet tracks w/rubber tires?
Since I will mostly be running rubber tires do I need to get the lower shock towers?
I noticed in some of the pics on this thread that some people are removing the front screw on the motor mount- what is the reason for doing it?
Thanks
David
The car is pretty nice on carpet with rubber tire's. Very easy to drive and has plenty of rip coming out of the corners. Now that I've had a ton of time of the car since the last time I ran on the rug I plan on testing our standard oneway set up followed by the standard spool set up. Both of these set up's have done really well on just about every asphalt track that I have been to.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:04 AM   #7278
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to NoChanceRacing Send a message via Yahoo to NoChanceRacing

i love my mi2 !!! had the mission this mi2 is even better VERY AWSOME CAR!!!! VERY HAPPY WITH IT!!
NoChanceRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 08:58 AM   #7279
Tech Addict

Default Tension

I have read here about taking of all but one tensioner, which one do you leave on ? How much does this free the drive train ?

Front sway bar: to leave on or off ?

Cheers
Scottymi2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:02 AM   #7280
Tech Champion

As far as belt teensioners go you can take all off except the one under the front main belt. I play around with the rear belt tensioner every now and then but that's only when I run the thin rear belt.

I always run the car with the sway bars on. I didn't like the way the car felt without them. Try running the car without them just so you know how the car feels for yourself. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:28 AM   #7281
Tech Regular

hi, i'm going to be running my first mod national next weekend (with a mi2 i won) and as you said take all the tensioners off except for the one under the front belt is this for stock or mod as well and also do i take off the rear belt tensioner

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 11:43 AM   #7282
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

For mod in the UK we always remove the rear tensioner, and sometimes the top main one. I say sometimes as some do and some don't as it depends a little on the belt itself.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:05 PM   #7283
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I did about 8 hours of testing today for the regionals. I made a lot of changes to the car to see how it would react. The car was way too stuck at the start of the day. Everything I did today was to get the car to free up and rotate a little more. I actually ended up running the car without swaybars by the end of the day and it felt better. The car is very good by the end of the day and is easy to drive fast. I still have a few ideas about things to try.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:25 AM   #7284
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by MattW
For mod in the UK we always remove the rear tensioner, and sometimes the top main one. I say sometimes as some do and some don't as it depends a little on the belt itself.
So if my belts are new do i take the rear and top tensioner off or do i do that when they are old

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 02:57 PM   #7285
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

You can defenetly take the rear one off, but i would leave the front one and see how it is. If it's tight you can take the top one off.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 06:49 PM   #7286
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
I did about 8 hours of testing today for the regionals. I made a lot of changes to the car to see how it would react. The car was way too stuck at the start of the day. Everything I did today was to get the car to free up and rotate a little more. I actually ended up running the car without swaybars by the end of the day and it felt better. The car is very good by the end of the day and is easy to drive fast. I still have a few ideas about things to try.
What set up are you running? I plan on running our standard oneway set up for the first time out.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:17 PM   #7287
Tech Champion

I started with a setup Donny had run there. When I get a chance I'll post it up tomorrow. I was going to go to a one way but kind of ran out of time. I think it may be the way to go because I was still getting a bit of a off power push into the tighter corners.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:39 PM   #7288
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If it's pushing off power too much, just raise the rear roll center .5-1mm and it will rotate much better.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:10 PM   #7289
Tech Champion

I did that essentially by shortening the rear camber links a lot. It helped quite a bit but I think I was still loosing a little time. I'll try adding shims to the rear raiser plate and see what that does.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:54 PM   #7290
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

Shortening the upper link wont alter the static Roll Centre location, it will however limit the amount of horizontal roll center movement.

Most team drivers have found raising the rear arm mounts 1 - 1.5mm to work well in freeing the bite of the rear end.

Raising the mounting height of the arms (hingepins) has a far greater effect on roll centre Height, than changing the upper link angle (towers and hubs).

Tune R/C height through raising / lowering of the alloy Hingepin mounts,
usually keeping within a couple mm difference in height...from front arm to rear.

Use the towers for changing the Dynamic location of the Roll Centre, by lengthening or shortening the link to effect how much the Roll Centre Deflects sideways during Roll, Also for fine tuning camber gain (during suspension compression ) for optimal contact patch of the tires through the turn.

The new alloy rear hubs are nice for finetuning Rear R/C, and Camber Gain

The upper middle R/C location on the towers is optimised for 95% of conditions, changing one end from the other too dramatically will have unstabilisisng effects...always keep in check the Roll stiffness balance from front to rear...(including R/C heights)..

I find too greater difference in roll centre heights, from front to rear leads to lesser potential cornering power overall...as they fight against each other.

Tell us your thoughts, what have you tried, under what conditions and how did you feel it effected the cars handling?

sorry Im bored at work..monday Itis

Last edited by King-G; 09-26-2004 at 11:47 PM.
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote