R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-29-2004, 11:14 AM   #6661
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally posted by racenut123
By far my favorite body has been the Nemesis. Very Stratus 2 like but with a taller wing. Very Stable.

Stlnlst, are you still running a oneway setup?

koabich, the P-dub chassis is the ticket for foam tire racing if your looking for a very stiff chassis. I run mine on asphalt right now with the stock 2 mm topdeck. Anyways, I would imagine the Teemu chassis is pretty stiff,but more suited for asphalt.
Well, it's killing me waiting for the P-Dub chassis to be available. I have had mine on order since they were first anounced.
Thanks
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:42 PM   #6662
Tech Rookie

Hi All,

I'm afraid I am a bit behind the times here, running an SST 98 with a Trinity D3. I used to have a lot of fun about six years ago with it, but, for various reasons, the car got shelved and I discovered flight sims. But I got tempted back into the genre a few weeks ago, and, as always, have bought a dozen magazines to get up to speed on the present day sport. Well, needless to say, that my set up is a bit old. But I bought some Take Off CS 22 and 27 tyres, and new dish wheels. I've been going to a nearby car park to test things out and have generally been having fun.

The trouble is, grip is awful. I don't know whether this is set up or what but she slides all over the place. Perhaps my suspension is too hard or something. Speed is great, she really flies, but under sharp braking, typically <15mph from full speed, she seems to lose it big time and swing all over the place. I should point out here that the car park is dusty so the tyres dont seem to be getting much grip at all. Any advice from anyone? What have been people's experience of the SST 98 in the past? And can someone quantify how much better the Mi2 is compared to the SST 98 (I'm angling for an Mi2 / Pro 4 + LRP Quantum Competition 2 ESC + Orion Revolution V2 Touring 12 x1 modified (how will this motor compare to the D3?)

Thanks in advance, and this community looks like it has a fantastic knowledgebase.
C3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #6663
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

koabich....With my position at Schumacher I have decided to run the Schumacher chassis, but I will say my Mi2 with the P-Dub Racing chassis travels with me to every race I really like or perfer the new 2.5mm chassis because I feel it is more consistent from run to run, but the 2mm chassis still seems to be the fastest

C3PO....Welcome back! Generally 99% of untreated dirty car parks will produce next to zero traction and would not be a good place to test. Most purpose built tracks would produce much better traction even untreated and would give a much better test.

Although the SST98 was a great car, I would compare it to the Mi2 as I would compare a Yugo to a BMW....LOL The Mi2 is superior in every way!

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:28 PM   #6664
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

PW or anybody: is there a setup available for the Mi2 from the Reedy Race? If you have it, I need it by about 8 AM PDT tomorrow. We're running the Mi2 in a TC shootout @ Tamiya (Derek called you about it today -- and we still can't get rid of that chatter either... weird!)

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2004, 10:44 PM   #6665
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My MI2 chatters as well, like it is coming from the diffs. Now I only have 1 race on it...
Old 07-29-2004, 10:51 PM   #6666
Tech Adept

i feel special..lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 missions 2.jpg (55.6 KB, 168 views)
NismosR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:36 PM   #6667
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Nice, all built from parts?
Old 07-30-2004, 12:00 AM   #6668
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by speedxl

STNLST get a schumacher set up sheet fill it out and post it here with your set up to see what you have. we can keep giving you advice and wont be any good you will 1000 different answers.

The set up that I'm running is fine but the body just didn't fit my driving style. I'm running Mo's set up and it's dialed in his hands and a Mazda 6 but it feels better to me with a stratus or Losi alpha.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:01 AM   #6669
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by racenut123

Stlnlst, are you still running a oneway setup?

Yes sir.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:08 AM   #6670
R/C Tech Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by kansasracer
My MI2 chatters as well, like it is coming from the diffs. Now I only have 1 race on it...
On our car it is coming when we turn in either direction, the wheels vibrate due to, I think, play in the steering assembly. I took it apart a bit and re-built it, but couldn't seem to make it any better.

The car still performed pretty well, though. In our first "round" of racing it was turning some of the fastest laps. I'd like to get a real setup on it, though, since we were just running it in kit form.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:20 AM   #6671
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
On our car it is coming when we turn in either direction, the wheels vibrate due to, I think, play in the steering assembly. I took it apart a bit and re-built it, but couldn't seem to make it any better.
Hi, I had the same problem, found out that I had to much steering lock causing the CV's to vibrate. Reduced steering throw to 15degress on each side(on hudy board).
HTH
Cheers
adyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:37 AM   #6672
Tech Elite

futureal glue a shim on each knucle a 1 or 2mm shim will work. Also reduce dual rate you might be using too much.

If not call adrian he'll explain it better!

813 889 9691
Old 07-30-2004, 08:24 AM   #6673
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

Kinda sounds like the same issue that my G+ had. Reducing the steering like stated above was the way I fixed my car...plus take a little Dual Rate can also mask the problem.

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:27 AM   #6674
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

futureal - I dont know your Xtreme email so I sent the setup to Derek. Its 7:30 PST now.

Can you call me as soon as you get in. I'd like to clarify part of the setup and get your contact info.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 08:38 AM   #6675
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by PW
C3PO....Welcome back! Generally 99% of untreated dirty car parks will produce next to zero traction and would not be a good place to test. Most purpose built tracks would produce much better traction even untreated and would give a much better test.

Although the SST98 was a great car, I would compare it to the Mi2 as I would compare a Yugo to a BMW....LOL The Mi2 is superior in every way!
Thanks, and yes excellent points. Unfortuantely for me, my nearest track is about 15 miles away...not massively far but far enough to make it a little inconvenient. I would really like to get back into it though. One thing that does strike me though is that there seems to be little active promotion for the sport in terms of what could be achieved. I work in television and can visualise so many ways to improve the profile. Onboard cameras during races (you can run a camera + transmitter the size of a miniature matchbox combined with a 9volt battery for live transmission of pictures) would massively improve the immersion and hook in a lot more people. Tie it up with a cable channel, show them the excitment and you're onto a winner. Enough of my ramblings though...thanks again. Any other advice gratefully received.
C3PO is offline   Reply With Quote