R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2001, 09:08 AM   #526
Tech Regular

Hey Guys...anyone know a web site for the Cleveland Carpet race??

Thanks in advance for any info...

Oh yeah, as if it hasn't been said enough...can't wait for my Mission...
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 09:20 AM   #527
Tech Adept

Default Stiffness

I agree with Darkside, I personnally prefer the stiff chassis and I'm convinced it's the way to go but in the same breath I would say that it's more important how everything is working together and this is what ultimately generates maximum speed.

That's why my Mission is the graphite one....

and BTW I'm still waiting (impatiently) for mine...

Dragonxmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 09:21 AM   #528
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
Pilot-R/C Sedans have to flex to go fast.
The Losi is another very rigid chassis... I'm with Darkside on this one. I notice the new Mission doesn't look like it'll be very flexy.

Trips
Old 11-08-2001, 10:34 AM   #529
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Chassis flex is something of a strange one. In theory i would agree that it is better to have a stiff chassis and then tune the suspension. However I have been down that route and got no where and ended up going back with a flexy chassis and the car was instantly better.

IMHO some cars are simply too flexy, and others too stuff but i guess there is some kind of optimum somewhere in the middle, although i don't think i have found it yet!!!
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 02:53 PM   #530
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This may not sit well with some people, but the fact is that one of the few cars you don't see people trying to get more flex or less flex is the TC3. Yeah people use the graphite chassis, but thats usually to save weight, not for flex purposes.

As much as it pains me to say........if anyone has reached that happy medium of too much or too little flex, it Associated......

Ooohhhh, it sickens me to say that.....

Old 11-08-2001, 04:14 PM   #531
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

The Chassis Flex and what not depends on the type of track and the amount of traction at the track. I personaly like a stiff chassis and soft suspension with sway bars. That I feel is the fastest way around most tracks. You have to look at it this way if the car is too stiff chassis or suspension then any little inperfection in the track will upset the car.....example tracks with plow disk or raised curb style boarders if you race a car that is too stiff when you hit one or run over one your car just flips over now if you take a car that is set up softer chassis or setup wise it just runs right over it and does not effect it as much. The TC3 is a very stiff car and look what happens when there is no grip or traction in the track they are slow and off the pace. Thats why the TC3 seems to do soo well on high traction tracks and on foam tires. To point this out look over in Europe at all the big races you hardly see the races dominated by TC3's like you sometimes see here and that is because most of the tracks over there dont yeild as much traction as ones over here. Thats why a car like the Schumacher or HPI cars are so apealing to people, they can be tuned to suit your needs. I feel that you do need some flex in the car but not too much like an HPI pro3 with no graphite on it. I feel its easier to tune the suspension then it is to try to worry about the chassis flex or not enough flex.

Last edited by Kevin K; 11-08-2001 at 04:18 PM.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 04:50 PM   #532
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Corey Bernardo

Couldn't of put it myself Kevin! Maybe its because I didnt want to type a story! lol
Old 11-08-2001, 05:24 PM   #533
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I agree and disagree.....what I mean by these statements are related to the TC3. Anyone that knows me (Racer X) can tell you that I had (and still do) the best TC3 at Speedworld(when Matt H. switched cars...LOL) and it was dialed on with the high traction speedworld has. When I switched chassis from the stiff stock AE chassis to the IRS chassis (which has more flex) my lap times actually got better on the high traction as well as when traction was a bit low. The added flex allowed the car to hook up a little better in the low traction conditions. The big test to compare the two chassis would be next weekend when carpet racing starts. Although I personally would give the nod to the stiffer chassis on high traction carpet....but I think that the roar carpet stock champion was running the IRS chassis on his TC3. Testing set up's out here at Speedworld are very accurate as everyone has personal lap timers or the owner will spend a weekday testing with the amb system. So if you go stiff or soft the lap times will tell what IS BETTER FOR YOU(the driver) Just like Darkside said...what works for him may not work for you. A car with a little flex is easier to control IMO. I can't even remember how this whole flex thing started anyways. I thought we were waiting for Racer X' Mission

I still think that this is THE BEST information thread I've seen period. < do I need a period at the end since I typed the word Keep up the good work Adrian.
Old 11-08-2001, 06:09 PM   #534
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

STLNLST: do you need a period at the end since you typed the word period???

Man thats a hard one to figure.

Good question!
Old 11-08-2001, 07:28 PM   #535
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

I've always assumed that a car that needs a lot of flex to be stable or have more traction just means that it's making up for a poor suspension setup. Now a little change up or down makes a little sense, but I think you need to look at suspension and tire choice before you even begin to think about chassis flex. I think too many inexperienced people assume that if I can make my car flex more it will be stuck I don't believe this to be true

Like it was mentioned previously by STLNLST who seems to know how to setup a car well and can tell the least little differences, it may lower your lap times it may not. If you have exhausted all suspension settings and are extremely confident of your setup then maybe try a little experimenting. I've seen pictures of Speedworld and have talked to Billy Bowerman (Owner) and I think they would know a lot more about suspension settings and chassis flex and how it affects performance. I've worked with my Kawada a lot and you can drastically change lap times by choosing just the right tire and insert combo. So what I'm getting at is look everywhere else than chassis flex first, get the car setup as good as you think you can, then maybe, maybe try using flex to further experiment!

Last edited by CIVIC91; 11-08-2001 at 07:32 PM.
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 07:34 PM   #536
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've gotta say that the stiffer the better on carpet. Didn't the TC3 fill up every A main slot in stock touring at Cleveland last time? Look at Easton's results there. However, on asphalt a little flex seems to be the best way to go. One thing for certain, it certainly makes a car more forgiving and easier to drive. If you're going to see someone struggle outdoors, it usually isn't with a Schumacher.

2016 & 2017 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 07:49 PM   #537
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

There is that word "forgiving". Sounds like "making up for a bad setup" It could just be me though!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 08:54 PM   #538
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

As far as chassis flex goes, I think flexing chassis do better outdoors than on carpet, especially foam tire races on carpet. STLNLST may be right about the IRS being better outside, but I have seen a guy racing rubber on carpet who'd TC3 was fine until he put the IRS on with the same settings. It was a pity. At the same time my TC3 was a pity outside most of the summer (ask Kevin K he races with me). Of course then there's Brian Jucha's TC3, his car was dialed in proper at our track all summer.

I don't think there is a definite answer, only that flex can cover for a car that isn't 100%. It also can be inconsistent.

ps Kevin what about Craig Drescher? LOL
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 09:02 PM   #539
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Craig who.......j/k. Yeah ok there is one guy but hes a wheel so he dont really count although he does make the mains but hes the only Associated car and there is like more of the of the other mentioned cars.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 09:44 PM   #540
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i couldn't help myself
http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml_news.htm

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote