Clint....You got mail!!!

That would be great Bob

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:26 AM   #5117
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I just read that alot of guys running Losi's and Xrays are cutting every other tooth off of their belts. In theory it will free up the drive train. Have any of you guys tried to do this? I'm concerned about durability issues but if it helps this would be great for stock.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:33 AM   #5118
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

With clean bearings the stock drive train on the Mission is more free than the Xray and Losi Cars. I had Alex Lopez's Evo 2 in my hand 2 weeks ago and it was not as free as my Mission. I have also gotten to check out Paul Lemieux's XXX's and its not even close to the Mission.

And....

RW pullies make the Mission even more free...

And....

PW's Mi2 with the new Schumacher Mi2 pulleys (new mold/new material) and normal out of the bag (greased) bearings is more free than a tricked our RW/Mission. If he were to blow out the grease and lube with light oil it would be even better.

Only shaft cars spin more freely and I am certain that this is just a bench racing novelty (dude, my car spins for 20 seconds...lol!). When PW and Mark Pavidis pull on to the straight at the Reedy race and Mark cant gain one inch on PW it tells me we have a pretty darned good drive train.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:36 AM   #5119
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

First of all, with the Mission (and with the new MI2), only one of the belts have to make the sharp turn around a small gear where all other belt drive TCs have both belts driven off of the drive shaft. The drag usually comes from the tension required to keep the longer belt wrapped around the smaller drive gear (cog, sprocket, whatever you want to refer to it as) so the belt won't skip. I'm only guessing here, but cutting teeth out of the belt seems to me an effort to make the belt more flexible (?) so it can go around the smaller gear easier. Seems to me that there would be in increase in having the belt skip and/or break. On the Mission and MI2, the long drive belt is connected from the rear to front diff (large gears) has very little drag or tension on it since it isn't making any sharp direction changes. I really don't see any advantage to doing this. Anyone else have any insight here?
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:32 AM   #5120
Tech Champion

Its a bad idea...file it with the threads about nitro engine superchargers and nitrous systems...lol!
Old 12-30-2003, 10:26 AM   #5121
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

I think one of the great things about Belt cars is you can engineer the motor in-where you want and you arent turning the drivetrain 90* at any point-losing efficiency.

And the Schumacher belt drive system with the direct drive diff to diff with larger pulleys seems to be the best suited for Stock racing. Lots of rip. Although Mod is where its at for Marketing-Stock is so competitive on the local level that these belt cars need to work in Stock. Thats one reason why I think the Tc3 is so popular and has the affect that people think its got the most rip. Its not too particular to rollout. my XXXS and my Xray's were very demanding about matching the particular motor/tire size to the pinion. Off a tooth or two and it was a slug. Get it just right and it was as fast as any Tc3. Change motor, but nothing else and car could be slower. Add in the Belt tensioner (especially on the XXXS) and you can go from top speed to no top speed-rip to no rip. Put that same motor in a Tc3 and it "feels" faster.

I cannot wait till Rob gets his Mi2 running. Its the most anticipated new car for me to see right now (regardless of belt or shaft). I am hoping its got the rip and ease of tuning for straight line speed that the AE car does-right out of the box.

Ray
p.s Man do I babble sometimes.....

Last edited by rayhuang; 12-30-2003 at 10:32 AM.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:35 AM   #5122
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Looking for some general sugestions on traction rolling. I have been running rubber (Mission) the last 2 weeks and as the traction comes up, from the foam cars laying down a nice groove, I have been traction rolling a lot. What changes work best in this situation?
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:54 AM   #5123
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Jim, have you tried putting shims under the hub ballstuds to raise the roll center? Also, you could try running less droop.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:01 PM   #5124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

PW,

Tried to call today, but got the voice mail system. Must be closed for the Holidays or gone for the day. Happy New Year to you and the rest of the Schuie gang. I will give you a call Monday to check in......

Ray,

The Mi2 is going to be a bad mammer jammer bro. I am pumped. Just couning down the days right now I will see you Sunday. I cannot wait to see the new place...........
Old 12-30-2003, 02:13 PM   #5125
Tech Champion

The phones were stupid busy today. Lots of People didn't get through. The Menace's are flying out the door! We will be back on Friday.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:45 PM   #5126
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Nice to see some great input on the belt subject. It's been really nice to see the belt cars winning a few big stock races recently

Sorry Rob, Its been slammed here the last 2 days!!!!

No doubt about the Mi2 being a bad mammer jammer Every time I talk to Andrew the car is just getting better and better on foam tires. He has improved laptimes close to .3 to .4sec a lap since Cleveland!!!

Teemu is also running foam tires now with the newest Mi2 (pre-production) and for the first time he said the car (stock) is pretty darn good his first time on the track (that never happens...lol). He normally has to change lots of stuff

Couple more weeks

Thanks for being patient guys....It will be well worth the wait!!! BTW...At least its not a 1 1/2year wait like some of the other cars....

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:29 PM   #5127
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The belt input is nice. I may have to put in my 2 cents when I have a little more time.

PW- I think that I may run the car on foams for the first time out but once the carpet season is over I'll be looking for an asphalt set up from you.....
Old 12-30-2003, 11:01 PM   #5128
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Oasis2001

Yeah for Teemu to like something straight out is darn good. When I was pitting with him recently he was never that happy but his car was awesome. Its unbelievable the input the Schumacher team drivers have and especially Teemu. What the drivers say gets directly fed into the car design. Its almost like a no expense and no holdback type thing. Proud to be on the team and I cant wait for the MI2. Ill be getting one in a few days and will keep you guys posted.

If you thought the Mission was professional and finished wait till you see this. everything has been covered and refined I think is the word. It will be a joy to drive!
Oasis2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:05 AM   #5129
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

WOW!!! thanks for the detailed feedback! I agree that I routinely could pull TC3's, X-rays, and XXXS's with my mission. People never believed me when I said that this is the best drive train I have have ever driven. and yeah I had all the aluminum and RW stuff. I am really glad to hear you are getting as good or better performance from the drive train from the Mi2 in its stock form. that should make it even easier to take out the TC3's

Hey Ray I got your email about the nats. Thanks for the reply. The plan is to come down either fri or sat the week before the nats and run the club race. as soon as ya have more info could you either email me or post it. thanks

Bob
[email protected]
Old 12-31-2003, 11:21 AM   #5130
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

PW,

No problem chief. Busy is a good thing. I will try you on Friday just in case you guys are in and if not I will give you a buzz Monday.

Happy New Year bro.