R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-24-2003, 10:00 AM   #4741
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Personally i never had any issues with the layshaft pully. I never ever had any fences come off, and have never destroyed a pully, although i have been running the alloy 20t since they have been available.

Skill, I can assure you that the car feels quite different to drive than the current mission. With the mission i have generally found that you can either have the car set-up to be lively for a small type track, or smooth for a long high speed track. However if you have a track that has a combination of both then it can be a little tricky. This does not seem to be the case with the new car. The transition between on and off power is much smoother, the car carries it's corner speed much easier with much less upset.

One thing that i have always had a problem with on the current suspension design is the lower pivot balls. either bending or tearing threads on the plastic hubs. Obviously this problem has now been taken away.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:24 AM   #4742
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MattW
One thing that i have always had a problem with on the current suspension design is the lower pivot balls. either bending or tearing threads on the plastic hubs.
You mean the plastic hub carriers?
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:12 AM   #4743
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Holycow - Look harder...The Mi2 is 95% new. It uses almost nothing from the Mission. Some screws/nuts, the alloy diff outputs, the bearings, ball studs are the same but that is it.

It will come with a diff with a one way as an option. Not that you want one anymore as front spools have proven to be faster at most track where you used to run a one way.

Darkseid - The new suspension makes the car faster and easier to drive everywhere. It gives you the ability to free the car up on high bite surfaces to keep the speed up. Mike McMahon is testing the Mi2 on carpet with foam tires and he said it 300% better than the Mission. Faster, more consistent, more steering, easier to drive faster.

KMW - The rear pulley will be the same the front will be different

Darkseid - The first Mission I built had no instructions. It was a bag of loose parts. When I got to the pulley I saw the fence just slid on one way and the other way it looked like a snap fit. So I snapped it on. We will talk to the instruction guys at Schumacher to see if this can be clarified.

BagofSkill - Here we go...

Apart from the small pin.... So if they haven't fixed the pin, will the car be coming with alloy pulleys?

What is this small pin problem? I know if you are running the plastic pulley and you hit a board on power, hard enough to stop you car, sometimes you can strip out the pin slot in the pulley. If this happens to you all the time get an allow pulley. I always run the plastic pulley, as do most team drivers, because it makes the drive train even more free. Itís happened to me once in 2 years.

Seeing as everyone has to buy them later, will the car be coming with RW pulleys? Doesn't look like it on the CAD.

The Mi2 has a retooled rear pulley and a new front pulley. The new tools make the pulleys a few 1/1000ths smaller and more finely shaped. If you feel you NEED RW pulleys will we will have them as an option part.

It's hard to imagine that it can handle THAT much better than the Mission...

Try to imagine harder...it is THAT much better. 2-3/10ths faster then the Mission on every surface/track we have tested on. Every test driver says the same thing. It has tons more steering and itís easier to drive fast.

...so is the major thing that it now comes with all the alloy stuff I had to buy aftermarket.

Itís an all new car. The allow stuff that is included is a response to what racers want in an out of the box competition car.

I assume it will also tweak nicely straight out of the box now?

What do you mean by "now"? All cars we have ever made are straight out of the box. Some (Pre Axis 2 cars) were more likely to tweak once you hit a board than others. The Mission would take some serious punishment before tweaking. The Mi2 should be even harder to tweak
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:34 AM   #4744
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

AdrianM: thanks for the quick responses and attention to this thread. Got one more question though...

You said a lot of the new stuff on the Mi2 is in response to what racers want in an all out race car, well theres one more thing that racers want in an all out race car, that nearly every company seems to leave out.....

....a purpose made transponder mount!

Its almost funny how lower cost kits like the Xray T1R, HPI's older race cars, and almost all of Tamiya's middle of the road(between racing and playing) cars include a transponder mount, but high priced kits from Losi, Yokomo, Alex Racing, Corally, Schumacher and others seem to forget them. Or only offer them as option parts.

I know people like to place transponders in different locations, and the new personal units really don't need a mount, but it would be nice to see one included with the kit.

Just a thought though...
Old 10-24-2003, 11:49 AM   #4745
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Transponder mount.....LOL

Not a problem in the UK as if we run handouts it is usually a rule that they have to be in the front window!!

Holycow - yes the plastic mission hub carriers.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 11:57 AM   #4746
Tech Champion

Darkseid - What are you talkin about...there are like 6 places where you can easily servo tape your personal transponder!

Serously...I think we just cant find a place to put it that makes everyone happy and looks cool enough.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:02 PM   #4747
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
[B]Holycow - Look harder...The Mi2 is 95% new. It uses almost nothing from the Mission. Some screws/nuts, the alloy diff outputs, the bearings, ball studs are the same but that is it.

It will come with a diff with a one way as an option. Not that you want one anymore as front spools have proven to be faster at most track where you used to run a one way.
Thanks for all the info adrian! I am excited to see the new car, and even more excited to see if I can convince the little misses to let me buy one. "Look Harder" you say? Where? This is the first time any real info has been given out. Until now, it looked like the exact same car, with a new drive layout, and new lower control arms.

I am glad it is getting an overhaul, I just find it amaizing that it can be THAT much better then the mission when the mission already kicks so much butt
Old 10-24-2003, 12:16 PM   #4748
Tech Addict

Quote:
[B]It will come with a diff with a one way as an option. Not that you want one anymore as front spools have proven to be faster at most track where you used to run a one way.
hmm.. nobody at my track runs a spool. Doesnt having that locked front end scrub off a little too much speed in the corners? I should put my spool back in and do some more testing I guess.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #4749
Tech Champion

holycow - There should be some slowdown due to the spool in high speed corners but lap times don't lie. At the ROAR Paved Nats (Huge Track) I ran a one way until the last round of practice. I put a spool in with PW's mod setup and my Mission was 2/10ths faster per lap and way easier to drive. With the One way it was on edge all the time. To go fast I had to drive perfect. The spool made the car more consistant and predictable.

It also have my car tons of low speed on power steering.

You have to alter the way you drive though. Instead of slowing down, turning in, flowing through the corner then getting back on the throttle you run harder into the corner and just before you get to the apex, start accelerating hard. The spool will pull the rear of the car around. Don't ask me how it works but it does.

In mod one huge advantage for spools is you can late brake into corners and pass guys with one ways every time.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:55 PM   #4750
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info.. I might have to put my spool back in and check it out. I run at SoCal, and its a fairly small track, and is nothing but turns and chicanes... I am normally geared at about 7.25 with a monster. You recommend a spool?
Old 10-24-2003, 02:37 PM   #4751
Tech Champion

You will just have to try it. Ask Kinwald what he runs. Whatever he runs is right...lol! He is the man at SoCal.

7.25 sounds too tall a gear for a monster. It may sound strange but I bet you will be faster with 8.00 to 7.80. At the Novak Race last January my car had no punch or top end with a Monster until a local motor builder told me to run an 8.00 final. I was blown away how much faster my car was.

By the way, the Mod guys were running 8.00 with the 10 turns at the same race!
Old 10-24-2003, 02:47 PM   #4752
Tech Addict

man 8 sounds low! i run between 7.25 and 7.5 (forget actual numbers). You think I should be closer to 8 even huh...I seem to have plenty of punch, but I will try that.

(currently running 17pully, 89rw.spur, 25-26pinion)
Old 10-24-2003, 02:49 PM   #4753
Tech Addict

Quote:
You will just have to try it. Ask Kinwald what he runs. Whatever he runs is right...lol! He is the man at SoCal.
how do I ask kindwald? Does he have a handle here at rctech.net that I could PM? Iv been to socal 10 or 12 times, (past few months every Sat,) and have yet to see Kinwald.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:50 PM   #4754
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replys Adrian. It's great to learn so much about the MI2.

Good to hear that they have re-tooled the diffs, so we don't have to buy aftermarket parts for a Pro car. I did envy those x-rays that one thing!

Quote:
Try to imagine harder...it is THAT much better.
Well I'm with Holycow. I tought my Mission was great, so this is great news! A car that much better!

By "tweek nicely from the box" I mean that when I first build the car, the corner wieghts will be right on, without needing to move lots of wieght arround, or shim the motor out, or even buy a Warpspeed chassis (which moved the motor out and the batteries forward). Judging by the fact that the battery tray is slidable and the motor mounting looks further left to the Mission, I can take this for granted? And hopefully, dispite the RHS batteries, it'll be fairly even left to right. It looks like the option for two cells on the left was just for the proto then.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Mission. It's true, I had to spend a couple of hundred dallars on hop up parts, but it is for me the best handleing, best looking, and most reliable car I have owned, which is why I've kept it for nearly two years, and why I will buy it's replacement. I was listing every issue I could remember from my car, in the hope of finding that every detail was now looked after. I'm glad to hear that this is more or less the case!

I also notice a second belt tensioner (or pulley) at the top deck to stop the belt rubbing. And we already know about the proper sway bar mounts, blue seal bearings and torx screws as standard now.

MIght have to sell this car with a dusting rag for the trophys!

Last edited by BagofSkill; 10-24-2003 at 03:56 PM.
BagofSkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 06:18 PM   #4755
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Darkseid - What are you talkin about...there are like 6 places where you can easily servo tape your personal transponder!

Serously...I think we just cant find a place to put it that makes everyone happy and looks cool enough.

Yeah, I figured that both of those reasons are why the mount is often left off...

...oh well, doesn't hurt to ask.