R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-27-2003, 06:29 PM   #4471
Tech Regular

Default Fusion Bulkhead on Mission

Is there a benefit to running the Fusion Bulkhead on the Mission? I understand its wider, so that should shorten the upper camber link....that should make it less likely to break, but does it have any negative affects?

Thanks...Mark
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:13 PM   #4472
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

MarkG: Are you running the diff or the one way. If the one way, install a small shim inside of the outdrive and that should take care of the problem. If it is the diff...??? I've never seen or heard of this.

Fusion bulkhead make it much harder to break the upper arm (whick really isn't a problem if you thread the adjusting link most of the way into the arm and further out of the ball cup since the ball cup side never breaks), but it also give the car more steering mid to exit in a corner. Entering a corner, steering is reduced somewhat compaired to the standard bulkhead (but sometimes this can be a needed thing). Hope that helps...
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:20 PM   #4473
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

I had the problem you are experiencing MarkG...

my solution was exatly as racer x has stated. I found a small shim, that would fit over the oneway centre shaft, and I placed a number of them to the very inside of the shaft, (shimms - bearing - outdrive).

this also takes out the slop which can be seen by moving the pulley left to right.

I only experienced a problem when using the oneway.

i also run 2 degree front arm sweep.

I am now running Fusion bulkheads front and rear, raised by 1.5mm (shocks lengthened accordingly) and inline position on the hubs.

by shortening the link, you are changing the cars Dynamic Rollcentre...(as the car rolls in the corner, the roll centre changes in relation to its static R/C..

It feels more stable, but has lots of steering, less abrupt breakaway.
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 06:22 AM   #4474
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replies guys...will try shimming the outdrive to see if that will give it a little more engagement. RacerX, yep, its the one way. Think I will also give the Fusion bulkheads a try to see how they handle.

As an option on the outdrive, I was looking at a fusion right side outdrive and wondered if it couldnt be made to work...it is much longer than the Mission oneway right side....might be too long...just a thought...

Cheers...
Old 07-28-2003, 06:55 AM   #4475
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Hey Mark....If your running the raised roll center, check the inner suspension mounts and make sure they are not mounted backwards.
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:52 AM   #4476
Tech Regular

Hey Paul...I'm pretty sure they are on right...when I originally installed the raised roll center I got them backwards, but corrected them later. I verified it against the instructions that Adrian put together...

About the raised roll center...are many still running it or have most gone back to the stock setup? I seem to remember hearing that a few months ago.

Have been away from racing for a while, but getting back to it...

Cheers....MarkG
Old 07-28-2003, 12:14 PM   #4477
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Mark...Yeah, most of us are back to stock roll-centers. We still use the alloy blocks though.

Welcome back
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:51 PM   #4478
Tech Regular

I talked to Troy a little while ago, and he walked me through it...think I'll try going back and shimming up the bulkhead as he suggested, to see what happens...

You know, thats the fun of this hobby...get something working pretty well, then change it to see if you can make it just a little better....
Old 07-28-2003, 01:48 PM   #4479
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mark how is the racing for electric touring cars in austin? I might go up there in the weeks to come.
XCELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 02:10 PM   #4480
Tech Regular

Xcell...its been a little sparse lately...most racers have gone to fume-sniffing, but there are a few of us die hard electric racers still around. There's one track running in South Austin on Sat evening, and one in North Austin Sunday afternoons. I wouldn't consider it this weekend (Aug 2)...some of the racers are headed to Memphis for the race there...we normally have enough for one heat with about 6-9 drivers in it....normally run 19 t on big open tracks....

If you decide you want to come up shoot me a message about date and I'll check around to make sure things are on...

MarkG
Old 07-28-2003, 03:12 PM   #4481
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Mark, if you weren't skeered, you would be coming to Memphis along with Taostie and the others.. Don't tell me, you have cycling, no wait, your inlaws are coming to town.... no that's not it... your cat has to have emergency prostate surgery.... yea, yea, that's the ticket!...

On a serious note- I had the same problem as you are having in Houston last year- it was the lower hingepin blocks. When I installed them I wasn't paying attention, as it turns out, I recieved the wrong one in one of the pairs. It pushed the pin out a little and kept puking the axle and eating up the outdrive. Naughty naughty on me for not paying closer attention during assembly...
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 03:20 PM   #4482
Tech Regular

LOL...Hey Jason....How the heck have you been? I was talking to Toastie just a few mintues ago about going to Memphis. My wife is headed out of town next weekend, and we have a 50th anniversary party for my Mom and Dad Friday night...Guess if I left my house about 9 pm Friday after the party I could make Memphis in time for the first quals??

You guys have a ball....talk to you later...tell Sean I said Hey..
Old 07-28-2003, 03:20 PM   #4483
Tech Regular

And I aint skeered...I know I suck and readily admit it, so it takes the pressure off....
Old 07-28-2003, 03:32 PM   #4484
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Who me? Sweatin you? I can't believe you would post something as absurd as that.... lol.

Yes you can make it easy. Plus, there is one last round of qualifying Sunday morning "just in case". You can see the flyer here- http://www.msra-racing.com/2003bth/b...flyer_2003.pdf

The MSRA's website is in my signature.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 08:47 AM   #4485
Tech Regular

Ya know, I'm almost tempted to jump in the car and drive all night Friday night to be there Sat noon...didnt realize you guys started Sat afternoon....let me see what I can figure out...If I dont make it, you guys have fun without me!!