R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2003, 07:56 AM   #3601
Tech Regular

Jason...sounds like you guys had a great showing. Toastie said you did really well, and your car looked really good. He's excited about the Snowbirds now that his car is running well. It doesnt look like I'll be able to make it this year, and I'm bummed about it. But thats the way it goes. I cant wait to run against Ron and Toastie again on our home track, as I think it will be a different race now. I was very close to their best, and actually beat Toasties fastest lap time by .1, so we'll see how it goes in a few weeks when we get to race together again.

Cole, the Schumacher diffs have never been as smooth as the Yok or Losi diffs, but I've never understood how that mattered on the track. If there were a contest to measure diff smoothness by picking cars up and spinning the rear wheel, they'd win. But put the cars on the track and you can't feel it. Running a front one way, which most do, you take the front diff out of the equation. If you build the rear diff properly, and use good lube (I use the Joel Johnson Diff lube and love it), the diffs are good for a lot of use between rebuilds. In short, I think there are a lot more important differences to consider between the cars...just my opinion folks..
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:59 AM   #3602
Tech Regular

Jason...your post caused me to reflect on my main run in last years Snowbirds...Was out in the lead for half the race, and got the shakes, ended up stuffing it...I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS...lol...somehow got to remind myself to breathe, and relax without losing focus...
Old 01-06-2003, 08:38 AM   #3603
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Good points to remember Mark...

Here's a few tips I learned at the track this past weenend:

- using your body reeemer, open up the holes in the steering blocks that the steering posts screw into- the hole above the nut inside it. This relieves the tension on the post and stops that post from applying pressure to the top plate. That pressure can cause a tweak and add tension to the front belt. I didn't believe it either, but it makes a diference.

- if your front grey belt seems tighter than it used to, replace it. I know it seemd opposite from the way it should be because of belt stretch, etc., but it's true. My new belt was waaaay looser than the old one.

-if you're about to rebuild your diffs, try this before replacing ALL of the diff parts- Take the balls and rings out and clean everything but the large diff rings. Using new large diff rings only, replace the parts. When building the thrust bearing, put a line of black grease on the first race, install the balls, then another line of black grease on top of the balls. When building the outer diff, be thrifty with the diff lube. A little on one race and a dab on all of the balls is plenty. When you tighten the diff with the diff screw, DO NOT tighten it all the way down and then back off! Tighten it a little at a time until it's right. Now run the car and readjust. I have testd this a number of times and I keep getting much better results than replacing everything. One note- if you build it and it still feels gritty, then you have hurt the thrust bearing balls or races. Replace them. Personally, I have yet to see someone hurt the tungsten carbide 2.5mm balls in the outer diff.

note- I'm trying some new things on the diffs for Snowbirds. I'll report to you guys how it goes as I test.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:02 AM   #3604
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well the diffs aren't my main reason,but a large part of it..... I take personal pride in building my diffs...LOL and all my diffs are smooth as glass thanks to the trick I have learned from long time pancar guys.
My wife believes I spend too much time on them, but I always know it was my crappy driving and not a build problem when I loose...>LOL

The Losi just has sme features that I like alot, and quick diff adjustments are one.... the losi also tunes a little quicker and with time between rounds tightening up here it just makes life less complicated....

BUT the main reason is that the rest of the "team" is running the Losi, and parts sharing and tuning sharing makes worlds of differences.......

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:13 AM   #3605
Regional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Mike F

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Werner
just wanted to get the facts before I got into a Mission.
Jeff Werner
Team Promatch Batteries
Hey Jeff, I sent you a P. LMK
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:13 PM   #3606
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by markg
Cole, the Schumacher diffs have never been as smooth as the Yok or Losi diffs, but I've never understood how that mattered on the track....
I'm not so concerned about the smoothness, it's more about attracting dirt.... I'm used to gear diffs, and I'm not THAT interested in rebuilding diffs....
Old 01-06-2003, 01:42 PM   #3607
Tech Regular

Sorry...didnt mean to get preachy about the diffs...I guess I can sum it up this way. I've run Losi, Yokomo, and Schumacher, and the Schumacher diffs have to be rebuilt about as often as the others, but never felt as smooth, even after a rebuild...close, but not quite...

I've been running the RW rear pulley now for a few weeks, and you don't use the dust caps with that...and I don't notice any increased tendency for attracting garbage into the diff...that was one worry I had that didnt materialize..
Old 01-06-2003, 03:01 PM   #3608
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

I've just build a new car with the revised diffs. Smooth enough for me!!
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:29 PM   #3609
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Mark try the method I posted above and let me know what you think.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:53 PM   #3610
Tech Initiate

Who's all going to the Roar nats ? Also has any body had problems with the belt coming off the tensioner (sp) It isn't real loose but every run it comes off and chews the thing up.
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:59 PM   #3611
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Chris.....make sure that your front pulley is on correctly and the right out drives are on the right sides.....if they are crossed up what you are experiencing will happen.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 08:15 PM   #3612
Tech Initiate

It was working fine and then it happend so I tightend the belt and it still is doing it,just puzzeled,I'll probably just tear the car apart and give it a once over.
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 08:29 PM   #3613
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

A mention of a revised diff was made in a post above. What has been revised...can yo convert a older diff car to the new specs? I bet there is some info in the past pages but there is so many pages of great info to go through...lol

Thanks guy on the PM's...Thanks...we need to chat!

Jeff Werner
Team Promatch Batteries
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:29 PM   #3614
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes Jeff the older car can be converted to the new "pro" diff, but I don't remember the cost or parts needed to make the conversion.....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:50 AM   #3615
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Angry

Chris...I run stock and have both gray belts and delron diffs.The problem I have is both belts sit hard left on the rear pulley,and the front belt sits on top of the left side bearing of the tensioner.It has not damaged the belt but I wonder how much friction it is causing

The diffs have been checked and seem to be in the correct way.
Barger is offline   Reply With Quote