R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2002, 08:54 AM   #3541
Tech Regular

Re the problems reported above about the drive axle and outdrive...sounds like I may have something put together wrong. From talking to Paul also sounds like this is a common error when installing the roll center mod...will let you know what I find out after working on my car, but as per Paul the drive axle should be well in the outdrive if put together properly...
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 08:53 PM   #3542
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Mark, I had that problem earlier this year- I bet that's what Paul was referring to... if you look closely at the purple hinge pin retainers (roll center mod) you will notice that you got one long one and three short ones. There should be a left and right each of the long and short ones. You will notice the short retainer on the back of the side that got chewed up. Somebody packaged them wrong. If you find that's the problem, just call Paul or Adrian and tell them what happened. They are already aware that it's happened in the past and they'll send you a new set of long retainers. You might also mention the outdrive...

I sent them a picture of all four of the retainers where you could see beyond a shadow of a doubt that there were three short ones, but I'm sure they trust you. Everybody knows what a great guy you are....

Later,
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 05:55 AM   #3543
Tech Regular

Hey Jason...How the heck are you? You going to Shreveport this weekend? I'm tempted...Ron, Toastie, and Todd are all headed that way. I don't have any foams, but could run rubber tires on the carpet..

I wish I could blame it on someone else, but the reality is I screwed up installing the roll center mod. Paul W was spot on (Thanks for the phone time Paul), and I had installed the rear lower hinge pin mounts backwards. I have the zero degree blocks (short ones), and they have to be installed with the screw on the inside hole and hinge pin outside of the screw. I fixed it last night, and am waiting on parts to complete the repair. If interested, Adrian created a really great guide for installing the roll center mod...Schumacher can email it to you. Nice job Adrian.

Another question...In building the front one way, I have the plate and the diff gear. The diff gear has a deep side and a shallow side. I just want to confirm...the plate goes in the deep side (right side), correct?

Also, there is about 0.5 to 1 mm of play...the whole front diff will slide side to side...is this normal? I can put a washer in the diff by the bearing and get rid of this play, but I thought that might be a mistake, and the play might help further free up the drive train...just wondering...

Hope you guys have a great New Years...see you in 2003

Mark
Old 12-31-2002, 06:09 AM   #3544
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Mark, Yes the plate does go in the deep side.

I haven't ever bothered to get rid of the play. I have heard of the odd person saying that they have had it come apart due to too much play. Not had any problem myself though.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 06:39 AM   #3545
Tech Regular

MattW...thanks for the reply. I called Schumacher and spoke with Adrian, and he confirmed that the plate goes to the deep side, and faces to the right. He further confirmed that the play is normal, and doesnt create a problem. Some have shimmed it out, which also seems to work. I think I'll leave it as it, in hopes that it will allow float in the diff and free up the drive train a tick...

This is still the best thread on the net...
Old 12-31-2002, 08:07 AM   #3546
Tech Elite

Mark, I'm fine thanks!! Glad to see you got your questions answered. I thought the same thing about the play, but I left it alone... no problems there.

I may see you in Shreveport- I don't have enough parts to put my cars back together though...
Old 12-31-2002, 08:43 AM   #3547
Tech Regular

Just got a box full of goodies from Schumacher...going to spend New Years Eve getting my car back together...sux to be at work when you got a box full of toys that are begging to be played with..

Havent decided about Shreveport yet...will make for a VERY long day if I go, with about 11 hours of driving plus racing...but may be worth it...get that car back together so you don't miss your chance to punt Ron's and Toastie's Xrays...lol
Old 12-31-2002, 08:48 AM   #3548
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by markg
..get that car back together so you don't miss your chance to punt Ron's and Toastie's Xrays...lol
Don't you worry bro..
Old 12-31-2002, 08:50 AM   #3549
Tech Regular

Hey...I just got a new set of 3300s from Schumacher...if I add a layer of shrink wrap to protect the batteries will it make them too big? I normally add a clear shrink layer, but with 2400's you couldnt do that...this is the first set of 3300s I've gotten, adn looking forward to running them.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:52 AM   #3550
Tech Regular

Jason...do you know what classes they'll be running in Shreveport? Will you guys be running stock, 19t, or mod??

Does Tom have a web site with info?
Old 12-31-2002, 09:05 AM   #3551
Tech Elite

Mark, I need to call Tom so I'll ask him about the classes.

On the 3300's, I can't speak for others, but I put clear shrink on my 3300's and my HV's and I had to grind the inside center of the posts to get the battteries in them. You also need to take a file and knock the edges of the battery slots down a little. The HV's fit fine without the extra shrink wrap, but I sell my batteries after about 6 months and I feel bad selling crappy looking batteries so I shrink them to keep them looing fresh. I also quit shoe gooing the cells together. That way I can unsolder and reshrink a cell if the shrink gets torn in a snap.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:13 AM   #3552
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Foam tire/carpet set-up

I am in desperate need of a foam tire carpet set-up for my Mission. I can't seem to get the needed traction with my car!! I will be starting in the stock class, but switching to 19 turn when I feel I am ready. So far the only time my car has felt good was with foams on asphalt on a fast flowing track. So here are a few other Q's.......

Locked diff or one-way pulley, and will I need the steel driveshafts for either one?
I am thinking I need one because the car just doesn't wanna steer while accelerating hard out of the corners.

Roll center mod? I made my mod from an old broken chassis, so the front hingepins set 2mm higher than stock..... do I need more?? I took the mod out because I felt it enhanced my front end traction problems.......

I run the Aluminum hubs, so I use the in-line kingpin placement... should I go back to the plastic pieces so I can run the off-set position??

Rear toe?? common since would dictate that both rear toe links should be the same length, but if I set them up like that I get different amounts of rear toe per side ( by like 1 degree or more) I have checked all of teh ballstuds, hingepins, and links for straightness, and verified that all blocks are facing the proper directions.....

Things like Associated springs, different spacer shims aren't a problem.... cutting and drilling is what I am more hesitant about....LOL

Any help will be greatly appriciated, I just don't want to find myself jumping ship every indoor season....LOL

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 09:25 AM   #3553
Tech Regular

Impactplayer...check back a page or so...BigDogRacing posted a link to an edittable setup sheet, and he has a pretty good carpet setup on there you can start with...

The oneway will really help your steering. I havent tried the locked diff. If you are using the roll center mod, reduce caster to regain some turn in. You dont have to have the steel driveshafts..the stock ones should work fine. If you are using a standard front diff, thats why your car is pushing so much out of the corners more than likely (as long as you have the roll center mod in correctly)

You should be OK with the in line position...perhaps increase your camber a tick to increase corner traction. try 1.5 to 2 degrees

I wouldnt worry about the link lengths for rear toe..just measure the rear toe at the wheels and make sure its equal (2.0-2.5?)

Hope that helps some...
Old 12-31-2002, 09:27 AM   #3554
Tech Regular

Just realized something...if you are running foams on carpet, most guys dont run the one way..I did and liked it, but most guys dont because you'll end up with too moch steering and losing corner speed as a result...you might check with Schumacher on that one...
Old 12-31-2002, 09:28 AM   #3555
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Impact....Send me a e-mail with track conditions (high-bite/low-bite?) and I will send you some setups in PDF.

paul@schumacherusa.net
PW is offline   Reply With Quote