R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-05-2002, 04:55 PM   #3451
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally posted by markg
Talking about Toastie...hella driver, and great guy...provides great motivation for me to improve my driving/setup.
Ah yes, Toastie! He won the stock class at the Snowbirds a few years back. I know how fast he is, I 've run with him in the past. Great guy!
Old 12-05-2002, 07:27 PM   #3452
Tech Elite

The "U2245P Competition Roll Bar Set", what's in it? A nice selection of bars?

Internal ratio. I would tend to use the 20 teeth pulley all the time, to reduce power loss. Anything else to consider about internal ratio?

Thanks.

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 12-05-2002 at 07:30 PM.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 07:30 PM   #3453
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

2 bars which are stiffer than kit..(same rate)

and a 3rd bar which allows you to mount it to the lower arm using ball studs / cups

havent tried that config yet...
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 10:04 PM   #3454
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to fireblade

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle
The "U2245P Competition Roll Bar Set", what's in it? A nice selection of bars?

Internal ratio. I would tend to use the 20 teeth pulley all the time, to reduce power loss. Anything else to consider about internal ratio?

Thanks.
Usually the 20 is the best. It usually has more takeoff and more top end then the 17. And can be used on most tracks too
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 12:24 AM   #3455
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Gav, Generally when i run stood up i don't run either bars. There are exeptions, but that is the general rule.

I just don't like laydown any more. The car seems to body roll far too much and is just so safe and easy, but not really that quick. I would say the damping you have been trying with stood up was a little thin. I usually go 35/40wt 1 or 55wt 2
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 01:44 PM   #3456
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Pretty quiet in here... anyone coming to the Novak race in Jan?
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 03:55 PM   #3457
Tech Fanatic

some great news for the Macher crew..

My team mate (oasis 2000) and I secured 1-2 in every round of qualifying, then took out 1-2 in the finals at the inagural Metro Masters In Melbourne Australia over the weekend.

the mission were on autopilot..absolulely untouchable in a class field including interstate drivers.

we ran a control Tire, Takeoff 27r, with open inserts, rims and motors.

Chris ran a 9x2, and after my 9x2 died saturday morning I resorted to running a 10x2...(very powerfull 10 turn mind you...it went off like a grenade halfway through the 2nd last final, whilst I was leading..throwing a wind..locking the whole car up at the end of the straight....to make matters worse, my car was them hammered by another racer (accidently), smashing the rear left corner of the car to smithereens..(chassis, L/R arm, bent Titanium hingepin, Titanium Turnbuckle, Titanium ballstud....Not a pretty sight...and with the race format only allowing 1 dropped round, she seemed to be all over...absolute disbelief. to finish last in 1 round D>N>F.....and D.N.S in the final round would drop me to last overall....not good!

Then Out came the trusty C.A glue to attempt mending the batterd chassis (the rear hingepin mount was left with very little area to be secured and the screw hole was broken off the chassis), some spares to replace the bend and broken bits...

Whacked it all together, checked she was all straight and went out and WON the last final by half a lap!
this secured our 1-2 finish overall for the Australian Schumacher team....Chis Putnam 1st with me 2nd.
dream ending for us after my dispair when it seemed all over.
It amazingly held together, with just C.A holding the rear hingepin mount...

I'm still buzzing, it was a great event...cant wait for the next one, the format was fantasic (similar to the reedy race formats..(5 qualifyers, the total time from your best 3 rounds are accumulated for your final Grid positions...then there were 5 finals, 4 to count.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED>>>setups to follow

Last edited by King-G; 12-08-2002 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:17 PM   #3458
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Good job Gav!!! Way to go!
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 08:40 PM   #3459
Tech Fanatic

thanks jase...it was some mean feat, considering the level of drivers behind us..It was a great feeling to accomplish a great result..1-2 non the less..the only 2 missions in the Mod field..

we had some good competition from national level drivers...might sound like it was a field of slouches, but i assure you it wasnt the case. we just got it all together...

I am keen to find out how strong this superglue setup is...heheh..

i suggest others think about apoxying the rear most hingeping mounts in place clamp it, let it dry then screw it in.

I have seen 3 chassis break at this point, i have spoken to the guys at the factory over this issue previously, and now will have to remind them with a little more gusto. It is the only weak point on the car, and to most wouldnt ever have been a problem, only on rearward impacts pushing the rear wheel forward, the little piece of carbon surrounding the screw just isnt strong enough to hold. but something had to give seeing the size of the impact...it was heard throughout the pits...crunch!

the mission really is strong I have seen cars totally destroyed from full speed hits like that, the guy was running an 8x1, and at top speed....somethings gotta give I guess.

I was ecstatic to have my fortunes turn around, and for me to be able to block all that out of my mind...btw I had to beat another guy to secure second place overall. so the pressure was on, usually I would have cracked...but not this time for some reason..phew

Last edited by King-G; 12-08-2002 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:41 PM   #3460
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Congratulations Gav and Chris - excellent result to follow your excellent Nationals results. Well done.

At a not so prestigous event but a major club meet at Logan on Saturday night we had 5 Missions in the 10 car A main (stock) and a Mission went on to win the race. So we are also pretty pumped about the Schumacher performance as well.
Boondall. SuperShot, XX, SVR,Schumacher Storm BigWig

Last edited by heavy; 12-08-2002 at 10:45 PM.
heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 11:28 AM   #3461
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Gav....well done to both of you.

I broke a chassis there a couple of weeks ago. I was expecting it as the carbon was getting really thin after grinding out through the year, then i hit it and cracked some laminations, ran it a few more weeks and it destroyed it (and pin, turnbuckle, shock shaft!) when i went backwards into a wall. I also glued it up, ran another 2 meetings and couldn't break the block off when i actually changed the chassis!! stronger than i was expecting!!
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 03:31 PM   #3462
Tech Fanatic

Matt I tested all of the things we discussed, the car was very good, but not quite there, another 2 days testing and I am confident it will be quicker than our base setup...especially through summer, our base setup doesnt particuarly like th heat, as it is rather soft, for and aft. with just the swaybars really limiting roll it tends to lose cornerspeed if it really heats up.

here is a quick breakdown of the setup I ran to finish 2nd overall, I will then outline the changes chris had to TQ and win overall.

Track medium bite asphalt, high speed sweepers and low speed technical corners, natural good traction, clean no treatment, mild temperatures track temp 35-45c
small bumps in some corners but generally fairly smooth.

Front:
blue spring
45 weight oil, 3 hole piston
shock length 66mm end to end
shock positions: hole 2 on tower, hole 1 on arm
upper arm position hole 2 (lower on FUSION bulkhead, inline position on hub (1)
Standard swaybar
0 deg inboard toe out block pos
0.5 toe out (wheels)
6 deg castor
.5 deg camber
Ride height 5 mm
(measured with hudy 20mm blocks under chassis, subtracted 5mm R.H + 3mm droop =8mm total from 20, set rpm guage to 12mm)
steering ackerman link 40 mm end to end
steering turnbuckles mounted to hole 1 on hubs
wheel base slightly forward (1 thick motor shim infront)
Roll centre raised 2mm using fireblade pin mount rear, 2mm carbon spacer (brace) under front block.
Fornt oneway diff

Rear:
blue spring
45 weight oil, 3 hole piston
shock length 66mm end to end
shock positions: hole 3 on tower, hole 1 on arm
upper arm position hole 2 (lower on KIT bulkhead, position on hub (2 inner)
Standard swaybar
0 deg inboard toe in block pos
2 deg toe in (wheels)
0 antisquat
1 deg camber
wheel base middle
Ride height 6 mm
droop 5mm measured from wheels
(measured with hudy 20mm blocks under chassis, subtracted 6mm R.H + 5mm droop =11 total from 20, set rpm guage to 9mm)

Fantom Ti 10x2, schumacher quazar brushes, orion silver 135 springs, 24 deg timing. geared at 21 / 92

schumacher ULTRA metal batts

Takeoff 27r control tire. Takeoff medium blue insert schuey revlite dish rims!
(many different insert combos tried, standard was fastest but with greater wear.
No tire additive, just cleaner and tire warmers.

Stratus 2.0 shell

Mods, mission stiff topdeck, front roll centre raised 2mm shaved inner holes on fron hubs to give greater clearance. R.W pulleys and plenty of titanium / alloy.

Custom transponder mount to allow transponder to be mounted left side of car next to speed controller / servo for better ballance / distribution.

Chris Putnam had the following changes to better suit his driving style:

front inboard toe out 2 deg (smoother)

oil 40 weight front and rear, same piston

shocks: hole 1 on front tower, hole 2 on rear tower

Motor: fantom 9x2 ti, quazars, 20 deg timing orion silver 135 springs
geared 20 / 92.

normal carbon topdeck, no roll centre change in front

((this setup is excellent for cool to mild temperatures, medium to low grip very very versatile, i was suprised to see how well it worked on every outdoor track we have raced this year with minor changes, very good starting point.))

I am working on some different setups for summer now, but this one is always good.

Last edited by King-G; 12-09-2002 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:37 PM   #3463
Tech Fanatic

a quick pointer, for those who havent used the new revlite rims, they are half a mm wider than normal 24mm rims, and .8mm larger in diameter...

give em a try on takeoff tires, less sidewall flex.
very light, very durable.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:21 PM   #3464
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Awesome King-G! Congrats on 2nd.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:17 PM   #3465
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by King-G
a quick pointer, for those who havent used the new revlite rims, they are half a mm wider than normal 24mm rims, and .8mm larger in diameter...

give em a try on takeoff tires, less sidewall flex.
very light, very durable.
I've never seen them Gav- got a pic or know where one is?
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote