Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Schumacher Corner >

Schumacher Corner

Schumacher Corner

Old 11-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What is the advantage of the "new" diff? I havent had any problems with the "old" style in my Mission.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well then we need to know exactly which parts have changed and which stayed the same.

Those of you who want to see what thye're talking about click here: Schumacher November 2002 newsletter
Old 11-13-2002, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Big dog....do you have a setup sheet with Ron's snowbirds setup ? I swear I had it, but cant find it anywhere, and I'd like to start with that setup if I go again this year...I ran that setup last year and it rocked....

Also, any of you guys have a blank setup sheet in electronic format that can be modified on the comp? Those look so cool, just havent figured out how to do it yet...

I was looking at the snowbirds web page, and in the section on race classes I was looking at for both stock and 19 t it said any tire...does that mean they will not separate rubber and foam? Are they going to leave it to the racers to decide if they want to run rubber or foam in any class...

Just wondering if anyone knew...
Old 11-13-2002, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Mark, you are correct in saying that rubber or foam is legal in all classes at the Snowbirds. Obviously, we'll be running foam.

Here is Ron's setup from the Snowbirds:

Ron' Snowbird setup

and here's the editable setup sheet for everyone that missed it before:

Mission editable setup sheet

LMK if you need anything else Mark
Old 11-13-2002, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks Jason...now if I can just find my carpet-foam setup I was running...it was kickin....
Old 11-13-2002, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Well, since you asked.....

Mission carpet foam setup
Old 11-13-2002, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks again Jason...thats very close to what I had if my aging memory serves me...but I wasnt running 10X2...broke stuff way to fast....us old guys have to allow for slower reflexes...

That setup sheet is WAY cool...
Old 11-13-2002, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Yea Mark, here's a couple of notes on that setup-
  • Might try plaids instead of double purples on front
  • might be easier to drive with a standard stratus body
  • I'm gonna try the Losi 59 piston with a lighter oil
  • make sure to compensate droop in relation to tire size/ride height

You can run the car lower, but Snowbirds requires 5mm ride height.

I'm glad you like the setup sheet. It took me a while to figure out all of the things you can do in Acrobat, but once I figured it out, it wasn't hard to make the sheet.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey BigDog! Nice job figuring out Acrobat. You ought to send the form to Schumacher to post on their site. Wish I could have raced you longer in the Mod main in Shreveport. Dropping out after 3 laps seemed like a fitting end to my weekend Next time I'll out qualify YOU for the A!!

Hey Mark! Long time no see! You might remember this but , I used to run David Joor's setup at Kinetix. He developed it for mod foam but I think it's based on Ron Atomic's snowbirds rubber setup. I changed to 70wt oil and 4mm droop for 19T foam and really liked it. I think i ended with 2.5 rear toe too. I copied the setup from the rcfiles.com forum...

Here is what to start at

Front:
oil - 80
piston - 2 vari
spring 40lbs
caster - 8.5 (if sweeper feels floaty goto 10, or you need more low speed steering goto 7)
camber - 1.5
droop - 5mm if you are using new foams
swaybar - competition
ride height - 5 (ride height is tough to get set because of the high droop, adjust accordingly)
shock position tower - inside
Everything else the same

Rear:
oil - 80
piston - 2 vari
spring 35lbs
toe - 2
camber - 1.5
droop - 5mm if you are using new foams
swaybar - standard
ride height - 5 (ride height is tough to get set because of the high droop, adjust accordingly)
shock position tower - inside
Everything else the same

Run the body as low as possible (if you have an old body you can make a foam carpet body out of it because you can slam them) and get the carpet upper deck if you can. The car will be easier to handle with a diff in front. This setup is not complete but it is the basis to start at, the mission has a lot of traction and needs to run stiffer then most foam setups. You may want to add a 1mm shim to your wheels to widen the car a bit, this will save you from some rubbing issues and also take some of the massive traction away. You will also need to add about 3mm of spacers inside the front shock mounting piece to keep the shock collar from rubbing the upper wishbone. I also suggest that you screw in you upper wishbone turnbuckle as far as you can into the side that mounts to the shock tower, this will help strengthen that piece from breaking. Please remember that this is with a mod, stock may need to goto 70 weight and 35lbs front spring and 30lbs rear spring.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

BigDogRacing, what's up man it's tom from VA??? Wish now I hadn't sold my stuff, looks like I'm back with the mission. Did you try your carpet setup with a oneway??? Also, which color are the 59 losi pistons and do you have to run them with the losi shock shafts???
Old 11-14-2002, 06:48 AM
Tech Regular

Surge...thanks for the info! Not sure who you are, but why dont you come out and run with us at HT South? Had fun last Saturday getting the Mission back in action. Its a huge track, and fairly open. Gear up and lets go!!
Old 11-14-2002, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Todd, hi Tom!!!

Surge- Schumacher USA has had it for a while, but Schumacher England doesn't use it for some reason, that's why it isn't on the website.

Your foam setup from David is almost exactly what I was running, with the exception of my shocks weren't laid all the way in. I think that track in LA was medium traction and the 40/35 springs were too much. I was also running my camber at -2.0 and my tires wore perfectly square. I assume that's optimal...

On the droop, when you say 5mm ride height and 5mm droop, do you mean that the chassis is 10mm high with the shocks fully extended? If so, then I'm a little backwards, cause I thought that on carpet with more traction you would run less droop.

Teacher- I understand, most lost children find their way home eventually...lol. I did use the oneway with the rubber setup, but not the foam. I lost my mojo that day and was afraid to demolish a good oneway from brushing boards. I'm going to pick up some 59s today, so I'll let you know what color they are. As far as the shock shafts, I'm not sure. I was going to try them on the stock shafts. Maybe PW or Adrian can enlighten us on the need for shock shafts or not.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Schumacher class racing

Hi everyone . Need some help and I can't seem to get anybody at Shumacher to respond. Is the SST Sport still available? If not,Does Schumacher intend to offer a beginner level car? Anybody out there ever thought about pitching a Series or Challenge race to the folks at Schumacher. From what i can see,they do have one in England. It might take awhile but more people sure would get to see what a quality product they offer. Any thoughts ??

RC PIGZ Racing Hobbies
Home of The Melbourne Microspeedway

Last edited by Evoracer; 11-19-2002 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ah, come on Mark! You didn't remember me? I think i past you a couple times near the end of Kinetix's life. You don't remember that name on the rear windshield? lol j/k... Yeah, I'll see you out at HT sat. night! Can't wait!

BigDog, I want to compliment you again on your painting. I browsed your website and was extremely impressed!...
I thought the track was pretty high traction but maybe that's cause I traction rolled constantly on rubber tires!!! I think you had the camber set correctly. I've adjusted mine to get the foams to wear even too. But I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it in all situations....
About the droop, David's setting was measured with an AE or Hudy droop guage. They measure 5mm up from the bottom of the chassis to the end of the suspension arm with the suspension extended.

So it's really 5 on the droop guage rather than 5mm of suspension droop. It gives you 0mm of physical suspension droop with 5mm ride height if you get technical. But that gets pretty confusing too. I think you're right that the idea is to have minimal down travel which is why the 5mm up from the bottom of the chassis is so hard to get. I can get confused sometimes when I talk 'droop' since I learned it on the AE guage which counts up from chassis bottom which seems backwards. It's not really measuring suspension droop but suspension downstop (the term Xray uses btw). Anyway, I hope i'm not being confusing right now.

I'll try not to ramble so much in the future!!!
Old 11-15-2002, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Using a droop guage isn't really wrong if the circumstances are right..... You need to be running rubber tires because the diameter doesn't change hardly at all, and you also need to never change brands of tires or inserts, or use inch -up wheels.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.