R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2002, 05:29 AM   #3271
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Thumbs up Huge Track

Hey guys,
This past weekend I raced at a MONSTER track in Patchouge, N.Y.. For anyone that is local to the area or willing to drive the distance I think you would be pleasently surprised at this track. It is a gray ozite track, stocked hobby shop( sorry no Schuie parts), awesome pits, and AMB style counter. There is a big race event happening on 11/17/02, if you have any questions the tacks name is South Shore Hobby and Racetrack, and the email I beleive is www.SouthShorehobby.com.
I race my Axis pro and was one of two Schuies there. Usually the only one, but had a excellent outing, with a TQ and win for touring Pro stock. I just bought a Mission now I cant wait to play with that. Email me if you have questions. Talk to you soon.

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 06:52 AM   #3272
Tech Regular

Hey Jason...How you doing? Hope things are well there in Memphis town...I hadnt heard about TOms race. Can you send me some details? Email to mgardner@fugro.com...Right now its an outside chance, but you never can tell...

Tech question for anyone...The drive train on my car is real stiff, and after going through it with a fine tooth comb I believe its because the rear belt is super tight. I had to replace the rear belt some time back, and it has limited run time on it. I did run it a few times, and think this is the reason I stripped two 64 pitch spur gears (yes, its that tight). I have the 20 tooth alum pulley on, and I checked to make sure I have the center supports in the right way (I checked that closely). By chance was there a run of belts manufactured that were tighter than they should be? Without the rear belt everything spins freely...Oh Yeah, its a stock (black) rear belt...

Thanks for any replies or suggestions...guess I could chuck it in the vise and stretch it some...

Thanks Guys....Mark
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 07:42 AM   #3273
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to fireblade

No, dont get a vise. That would put wear on the belt. Most people boil them in hot water,ive never dont it before but boiling it should expand the belt with out hurting it. Dont do it too long though or it will over-expand. Hope that helps
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:06 AM   #3274
Tech Fanatic

You could try soaking in WD40.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:24 AM   #3275
Tech Regular

I had always thought soaking in WD 40 would limber the belts, but not stretch them. Boiling may actually stretch them a little...when I originally built this car, it wasnt near this tight, and with a little bit of running it loosened up nicely so that my drive train was really free. With this new belt it seems bound up.

I've tried to call the guys at Schumacher but no answer (line is busy). Anyone know why they may not be at home, or they may just be real busy...

Reading previous posts it seems there is a new rear diff pulley available that is slightly smaller...are any other changes required if I buy those???

Thanks guys..
Old 10-29-2002, 12:16 PM   #3276
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Thanks for the call Mark and your all taken care of
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 03:20 PM   #3277
Tech Regular

Back at ya Paul...good to be talking to you guys again...

Now back to reading old posts to catch up....some things change, some things stay the same...
Old 10-29-2002, 03:45 PM   #3278
Tech Regular

Hey Big Dog...dont forget to send me some info or a link or something about Toms race...trying to get David thinking about it too...if you dont send anything, I'll just assume you dont want us coming up there and kickin yo behind..LOL Just kidding Dude...would be good to hang with you guys again...Saw a post from you about spring length..something I found out completely by accident one day..you can adjust the Schuie spring length if you're careful. They bend...overcompressing will shorten, and you can stretch them carefully...FWIW

Pit Racer...you still racing with the Hobbytown guys in So Austin? When/where are they racing now...

Lonestar...Nice looking track pics...hows the redneck french guy holding up in sweden these days...got bored with skiing all day and decided to dust off the Axis..?? Once you get the bug again, you got to get a Mission....

RacerX...part fit great in the roll center mod...thanks again

LarryPryor...you never did tell me where to get those pretty purple shock mounts....drop me an email when and where you're racing...

Whew...think I'm caught up now...
Old 10-30-2002, 03:14 PM   #3279
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Mark, here's the link to the State race thread inside the Shreveport, LA forum here on rctech- State Carpet Champs!!!!

And don't worry, since you haven't been racing or practicing, you and Dave will prolly suck just as bad as me...

Feel free to call me on my cell 901-870-7220

BTW, any fellow Mission owners that visit this thread and need any help feel free to call my cell during daylight hours. I have unlimited minutes and would be happy to help if I can. I'm certainly no Paul Wynn or Teemu Leinu, but I know a little...
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:38 PM   #3280
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

BDR, are you not racing a Yok any more? I saw Larry's Mission and it is trick!
Old 10-30-2002, 03:46 PM   #3281
Tech Regular

Wow...I thought with that dig I sent you I would get a better rise than that. From what I hear you've been running really well...certainly well enough to hammer my skinny behind !! I talked with Larry today, and he gave me the link to the registration form...what I didnt realize is that this is a carpet race...D'oh...just finished setting my car up for asphalt...Oh well..

David is super busy with school, so he doubts he can make it...Right now I'm uncertain about my availability also, but will let you know. Are you planning to stay at a hotel there somewhere? I'd probably have to come in Friday and head back to Austin Sunday...

Do you know if they are going to have power avail?

Are you planning to run rubber or foams? Got a setup sheet handy? I know there are some setups in previous posts...

Lots of questions...sorry...to save the thread you can email me at mgardner@fugro.com if desired...

Take it easy
Old 10-30-2002, 04:47 PM   #3282
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes Markg, I'm still have the mission and yes we run at HT Austin. As for the carpet race I'm not attending, but Todd is.I'll be going to the Fall Fling this weekend to run electric and nitro w/ some of the locals who are not going to the Regionals in Dallas. Hope to see your ugly mugg around soon.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:30 AM   #3283
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by markg
Lonestar...Nice looking track pics...hows the redneck french guy holding up in sweden these days...got bored with skiing all day and decided to dust off the Axis..?? Once you get the bug again, you got to get a Mission....
Hey Mark, long time no speak! just to keep the records straight, I'm in Switzerland, not Sweden... not that it matters that much on this thread anyway Not bored with skiing yet, you can't get bored with skiing, especially after the resurrection allowed by hi-performance carvers... you should try it, it beats RC, believe me! Crusing down a slope at 40mph and carving high radius turn in fresh, packed snow, with a big grin on your face... that's something everyone should have tried once... Actually the season hasn't started yet, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Well, they opened that nice fancy track close to where I work, which is a first in the area... permanent tracks are very unusual here, you know, given the price of land... so I couldn't really not race there! I dusted off the Axis, and show the guys that their newer chassis don't have much on mine... if when I'm not the fastest, I can blame my old-school 2000's and my 5.0 cans héhé... I don't need to do it that much, actually.

I'll soon switch to a TC3 though, because of the ease of maintenance... the short diff lifespan on the Schmackers is absolutely unacceptable... and I redid my shocks yesterday nite too, it took me three or four tries each to bleed them right... and that saddle pack layout is a pain in the butt! I Won't purchase the Mission either, I want a car that that's hassle-free and really REALLY low maintenance...

In the meantime, say, you wouldn't have kept some badass setups for the Axis in your documents? Nobody seems to be able to help me here. I didn't even remember what oil was in my shock... I threw in some Serpent 35W w/ 25 holes pistons and some AE white springs on, we'll see how it works tonight...

Say hi to Daniel and Melissa and everyone in Austin!

Later
Paul
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 08:20 AM   #3284
Tech Regular

Lonestar...good to hear from you, and that things are going well. Wish I could help you with setup info, but dont have any from Axis days. As I recall the base setup from the manual was pretty close...I think it was red springs, mounted in the middle of the upper shock mounts, about 60 wt oil. There may be a setup sheet on the Schumacher web site..www.racing-cars.com.

I hope you have better luck getting the TC3 to perform than all the guys did here. All the good drivers tried em (Ron, John, Bobby Lee, David J.) and none could get the lap times they did with the Missions . As far as Maint goes, I had to do a lot less on mine than any of the TC3 drivers did...they broke more frequently, and maint of the steering was more of a hassle. I'm not bashing the TC3..its proven itself in the hands of accomplished drivers...but From what I experienced, the Mission was more durable, more tunable, and better driving for a wider range of pilot experience...(yes, I still suck, but the car makes me look good...)

The diffs feel bad, but it doesnt seem to affect performance...the anal retentive guys love the smooth feeling diffs, but I never saw that it made any difference in lap times as long as they were not too tight/loose.

And before I get hammered by you AE guys out there, these are simply my opinions, nothing more.....

Anyway, whatever you do, have a great time doing it, and drop a line every now and then...
Old 10-31-2002, 08:23 AM   #3285
Tech Regular

Pit-racer...if it ever stops raining I plan to head out to run with you guys at HT...see you there!!

Wheres the Fall FLing??? Regionals in Dallas this weekend ?...man I have been out of it...