R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-22-2002, 09:06 AM   #2746
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

PW, got the Warpspeed chassis the other day thanks a lot!!! I do have one question though, does the chassis slow the reaction of the car down a lot in the corners??? It would seem to me that the weight being moved outward on the chassis would cause the car to lean more in the corners thus making the transition time slower. When testing the chassis did you notice this, if so what did you do???
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:47 PM   #2747
Tech Apprentice

Hey guys,

I've been running a prety good carpet set-up for foams.
Here it is:

Front
Assoc. 22lb red springs
70wt
2 hole piston (stock)
#2 on tower
#1 on arm
#1 for upper arm
In-line on hub
#2 (or back hole) for steering link
10.25* caster or thin clip front, thin and thick clip back
0 toe
0 inboard toe
-1.5* camber
no sway bar
lower arm centered (stock)
Plaids trued to 61mm (Corally)
5mm ride height
2mm droop

Rear
Assoc. 19lb gold spring
70wt oil
2 hole piston (stock)
#2 on tower
#1 on arm
#1 for upper arm
In-line on hub
2* toe in
0 in board toe
-1.5* camber
no sway
lower arm centered (stock)
Purples trued to 61mm (Corally)
5.5mm ride height
3mm droop

20t pulley
86/24
GM3
Sanyo HVs

This is my starting point. It's close to Ron Atomic's Snowbird set-up, but not as stiff. So far i'm having pretty good success with it. Very consistant and predictable. Turns on a dime at 56% dual rate. Lots of corner speed, which I like. Will have better info after I race with it Saturday. I'll post results.

Last edited by Stika525; 08-22-2002 at 07:52 PM.
Stika525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:42 PM   #2748
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to fireblade

You dont run the one-way and you turn at 56% dual rate. Damn thats good. I had mine up to 115% with the diff.
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:58 PM   #2749
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Fireblade.....I think Stika is running 56% D/R because hes on foams, if you race on rubber it should be up closer to what you have.

Stika.....I have a question if you are racing on foams is there a reason that you have the car so high meaning high ridehight? If the track that you race at has a ride hight rule then I can understand but if not you should lower that baby down some. I have been running foams for a while on carpet and the higest I let the car go is 4mm and the car feels the best there for me, but I will say that when I ran rubber tires the car seems to like a higher ridehight like around 6 to 6.5. Also your tires seem kinda big I normaly start mine at around 59mm. Im not shooting ya down Im just giving ya some pointers as I have been racing foams for a long time and just want to help ya get faster sooner. Your setup looks good and should be very nice to drive, the set up that I have been running is for high bite carpet and would be very hard to drive on low bite.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.

Last edited by Kevin K; 08-22-2002 at 09:01 PM.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:15 PM   #2750
Tech Elite

Where does everybody measure droop on the car (Mission)?
What do you set it at?
Do anyone have trouble lowering the ride height on the car. I have Shumacher threaded shocks and springs and it seems that the collars are all the way to the top and the ride height is still to high.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:30 PM   #2751
Tech Apprentice

Fire,
Kevin is right, with foams a oneway is not needed.

Kevin,
There is a ride height rule at my track, 5mm, which is why I'm monster truckin' it As for tire size, this was the starting size. I haven't checked them yet, but they should be around that size by now. I did notice the car getting faster per pack. You're right about the height with rubber tires. I ran it higher when running rubber. Like I said, this was my starting point, also, my first serious carpet set-up, so any pointers will be really appreciated .

Any one running the carpet upper deck?

What should I change on my set-up above if I was running that upper deck?

Last edited by Stika525; 08-22-2002 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:44 PM   #2752
Tech Champion

Stika......Yeah I can see why your "monster truckin it" now Something that you should be aware of when you use the Corally foams is the rim that they are on is an inch up style rim. So if you compaired lets say a 60mm cut tire on a Corally style rim to a Jaco or TRC cut to the same size, there would be more foam on the Jaco and TRC tire. This will make the tires feel different does this make any sence to you? So what this means is that you should stick with one companies tire b/c you dont want to get your car set up on Corally foams then go and run TRC or Jaco and the car is not as good because you are now running with a thicker foam portion. Its just something to think of when using Corally tires, its not that big of a deal going from Jaco to TRC. I ran the carpet topdeck on the stock chassis but now i have the warpspeed chassis so I dont run it now. But it would a good thing to run on the standard chassis. I like the chassis the stiffest that I can get it, I will get the solid top plate as soon its out. I will post what I have for my final setup after this weekend so you can give it a try if you or others want. I wouldnt change anything if you run the carpet top plate the car will be more responsive.

Last edited by Kevin K; 08-22-2002 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:48 PM   #2753
Tech Regular

hrm, Should I run foam tires.Whats the advantage?

Last edited by fireblade; 08-22-2002 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:35 AM   #2754
Tech Apprentice

Kevin,
Yeah I knew that about the Corallys. I think that's what I'm going to stick with for a while. I'll be trying the carpet deck out before the race on saturday to see if it'll work without having to change anything. I'll let you guy's know.

Fire,
If your track allows foams, I say why not. Me, Iwould stick to rubber on asphalt. But if you're on carpet, go with foams, you'll love it. I was skeptical at first when our track came up with the foam only rule. But after running them for the first time, I don't know if i'll ever want to go back to rubber!
Old 08-23-2002, 09:59 AM   #2755
Tech Regular

Hows the wear on the foam tires?
Old 08-23-2002, 10:51 AM   #2756
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Teacher-You would think that a wider chassis with more off set electronics would slow the handling down but this is not the case. If this were true the losi XXXS wouldn't work at all. The XXXS is the widest most offset car on the market but it runs great despite this. There is a lot more to chassis dynamics than just polar moments of inertia.

I have been running the 3mm Warp Speed chassis for a few weeks now on carpet and low grip asphalt. I beleive my car is more reactive, suspension changes have more of an effect (stiffer chassis), The chassis really started working well when I offset the motor plate to the left. The car was more planted/locked in. At least on the tracks I race on.

Foam Tire Racers-As we are nearing the carpet season i wanted to say that we have TM Racing Foams in stock on purple and plaid for sedans and purple and grey for 1/12th cars. PW used these tires to win at Sticka's home track last weekend. The Sedan rims are very strong and I think they are the best looking foam wheels available for sedans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sedan tire small.jpg (85.9 KB, 107 views)
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 03:29 PM   #2757
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by fireblade
You dont run the one-way and you turn at 56% dual rate. Damn thats good. I had mine up to 115% with the diff.
I don't run a one-way and I have my dual rate at about 70%. Thats with me using the number 1 hole in the steering blocks.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:24 PM   #2758
Tech Champion

Stika.....thats cool what ever tires work for ya and you can get easy. I just wanted to let ya know if ya didnt about the rim size. You shouldn't have to change anything going tothe carpet top deck the car just gets more responsive.

Im with Adrian on the TM foams I ran them last weekend and they are just as good as any other foam tire and the rims are alot better lookin. The one really nice thing is that they are clearly marked on the rim as to what kind of foam it is and not with a little sticker that falls off when you run them. The rim is stiffer then a Jaco but not as hard as a TRC so its a good quality rim. I will be running these tires all winter, they are awsome.

Last edited by Kevin K; 08-23-2002 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:44 PM   #2759
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Sydewynder
Where does everybody measure droop on the car (Mission)?
What do you set it at?
Do anyone have trouble lowering the ride height on the car. I have Shumacher threaded shocks and springs and it seems that the collars are all the way to the top and the ride height is still to high.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 08:07 PM   #2760
Tech Regular

If your ride height is still high screw ur droop screw in farther. I just set my droop until the shock hits the top of my clip on my shock.