R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2002, 06:48 PM   #2671
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

Darkside I dont know what you have done to get so much bad luck with the pulley fence falling off, becuase I havent ever had an issue, nor can I recall seeing it happen to teh dozens of missions in my club.

I would suggest that the pulley fence has fatigued the snap on rim by installing it incorrectly the first time, and then subsequesntly reinstalling it everytime it falls off again.

I use the alloy pulleys, and I love them, consistent tension, and no belt slippage even with the highest levels of traction.

Have you tried getting a new plastic pulley?..and installing the ring with a dab of glue?..

do yourself a favour, get teh alloy pulley and never have the issue again.
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 08:14 PM   #2672
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Darkseid-

I agree the main problem with your pulleys now is probably because the fences are messed up. As far as wearing thru the pulleys with the pin thing, get some set screws (2mm x 6 for the 17 tooth and 4mm x 6 for the 20 tooth) and run them into the plastic until they bottom out.

The fences go on with the rounded smmoth edge facing inward. If you put them on correctly the first time no glue is needed. even with glue if the fences are installed backwards there isn't enough surface contact to work properly.

Personnally I have never had or heard of this problem from anyone except you, not saying you are the only one to ever have the problem.

IMHO- you cannot blame Schumacher for your own mistakes, if you forget to put motor oil in the engine on a brand new mower you assemble is it the manufacturers fault???

As far as wearing thru the pulleys with the pin thing, get some set screws (2mm x 6 for the 17 tooth and 4mm x 6 for the 20 tooth) and run them into the plastic until they bottom out. This is schuamcher's fault because they used the holes to lighten the pulley this making it weaker.

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 10:33 PM   #2673
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to JonB

I see in the Orion news Schumacher has a new nitro car, Teemu Leino drove to get 2nd place?? Any news on this?
JonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 11:15 PM   #2674
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Man I cant believe those pulley fences can come off.... they are a bear to get on. I race two missions and I never had one come off but stranger things have happened... I also suggest a new pulley and fence.. it should be very hard... almost feels like it cant fit that way... to install your fence properly.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 11:38 PM   #2675
Tech Elite

STLNLST

Sorry to hear about your XXX-S and other stuff getting pinched at ROCKS this past weekend.

Hope you find it.

If you want, PM me details and on the personal transponder number and I'll look out for them.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 08:01 AM   #2676
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Impactplayr: Well in my own humble opinion, maybe you should take a look at the instruction manual before you dole out judgements about other peoples "mistakes". Go ahead, take a look at step (2). In the assembly diagram it shows the pulley fence going on with the ridges facing inward. But, in the final assembly photo on that same page it shows the pulley fence going on with the ridges facing outward. Now is that a mistake I made when I made the manual? Don't think so! Schumacher could have simply made a one piece pulley and this wouldn't be an issue. Or at least got the manual right. As for not hearing of this from anyone but me, it also happened to fellow board member CIVIC91's pulley, and if you read down this very thread a bit, you'll hear of others having the same problem. But, just keep telling yourself, I'm the only one! I also tried putting it on the other way, and guess what, the pulley fence broke while I was trying to do it. I plan on starting with a new set of pulleys and trying to put the fence on the other way(which is apparently the correct way). But as I said, cosidering the car cost about $270, they could have eaten the extra production cost of producing pulleys without fences. But don't tell me its my fault they didn't, or that they couldn't decide which way was right in their manual.

King-G: I would be glad to replace the pulley with the Aluminum one. But I heard that one has TWO pulley fences. Seems like I would only be doubling my problem. Do those actually stay on?
Old 08-13-2002, 08:09 AM   #2677
Regional Moderator

ottoman: yeah, if had only known then what I know now. From what I'm reading, if you go by the final diagram and not the assembly one, then getting the pulleys on will be very tough, but they will stay on. Unfortuanately, I went by the assembly one, now I have to get new pulleys and try again. I just hope that this time, the pulley fence doesn't break when I try to put it on the 'correct' way.

What did you guys use to put it on the 'correct' way. I heard one person here say they had to use a vise! Is that whats needed, or will it go on by hand?

Last edited by Darkseid; 08-13-2002 at 08:12 AM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 08:31 AM   #2678
Regional Moderator

ottoman: nevermind about the question I asked. I just spoke to Adrian over at SchumacherUSA had he laid it out for me. It looks like using a vise of some sort, or something that can give a good solid squeeze will be neccesary. So now I know!

He also let me know that this 'mistake' of mine with the pulleys, isn't quite as rare as some would believe. So it might be time to make a correction to the original manual, so others wont suffer the same frustrations.

Just a thought!

Oh, and thanks to AdrianM for explaining everything out.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:47 AM   #2679
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

James: Clean one ways with alcohol or motor spray and lube them with nothing. Any oil may allow them to slip. One ways are designed to work without lube.

Grinch: Just make sure that the batteries don't go lower than the chassis so they drag on the ground. I run the Pannasonics and have no problem getting them in the car (no washers on the battery posts, either), but I used to have a practice pack of 2400s and they were hard to get in the car. Hope that helps...
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 09:17 AM   #2680
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No lube on the 1-way? Will it be free enough to engage? Other one ways have this 1-way lube that they use. I'm so confused.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:26 AM   #2681
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Racer X
.Grinch: Just make sure that the batteries don't go lower than the chassis so they drag on the ground. I run the Pannasonics and have no problem getting them in the car (no washers on the battery posts, either), but I used to have a practice pack of 2400s and they were hard to get in the car. Hope that helps...
Grinch: Yeah, those Panasonics are a lot smaller than the Sanyos. My suggestions may not work as well if you run a mix of Sanyos and Panasonics. I run all Sanyos so basically everything from RC1700s-3000HVs fits like a charm. Filling down the chassis slots should work as well as adding the shims, but you will still have to file the inward edges of the post if you run extra shrink wrap on the 3000HV cells. And as Racer X mention, be sure not to drop them too much, you don't want to damage your cells.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:37 AM   #2682
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

hey guys,
i know a while ago the vertical position on the hubs was gaining popularity with the a2 cars. how many of you run the inline position on the mission hubs? i find that with the high amount of castor built in, i get too much camber change even with the minimum castor setting causing slight ribbing with the takeoff glr's. what do guys think? seems everything i've seen uses the older position on the hubs. let me know, as my car runs well, but i'm a bit concerned about the wear. -1 camber all around so that's not what it is. thanks in advance.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 11:09 AM   #2683
Regional Moderator

seaball: it looks like we are in the same boat. I too get very high wear on my tires. I was starting to wonder if it was just my driving style. But it might be my setup too.

I'll have to do some testing and see if I can reduce the tire wear, but keep the same traction.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:43 PM   #2684
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger
Default pulley fences

well if it's any consolation Darkseid I bought 2 missions from a guy who was on the schumacher team - both of em the pulley fences are hanging free. After giving the cars a going through this was the only thing remotely wrong with either of them.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 02:01 PM   #2685
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well Darkseid, after dealing with lowsy HPI pulley fences I have learned that before assembling the drivetrain you need to "test" the strenght of the fences first. I to origioanlly placed the fences on backwards, but when I looked at the pulley it looked wrong, so I began to take it apart and when it came apart quite easily I knew it was wrong. Why the manual has the discrepency I don't know, I can only assume that the diagram was to make sure people didn't try to use the wrong part, and they also assumed that most builders would take one look at the fence and see the rounded edge should go in. Actually if the pulley was molded with the fence on the opposite side they wouldn't even need a fence on the resultingly (is that a word????) empty side.

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote