Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schumacher Corner

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

Jack,
Are you running the 1 hole (outside) on the hub carrier? If so, the position of the turnbuckle plays a key role in the strength of the arm. Try threading it into the arm farther and out more on the ball cup side. I started with the turnbuckle threaded in full on both sides then unthreaded the ball cup 4 turns. I then install on the car and set my camber from there. This leaves more of the turnbuckle in the arm. After three months of racing I have only broken one front bumber. My Mission is the strongest car on the track.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 07-22-2002, 09:15 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Man, I just can't imagine how hard you have to hit something to break any of the arms on a Schumacher car!
Old 07-22-2002, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

anyone see the new chasse yet? It looks really nice and very fast.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

RacerX..thanks for the procedure and pics...very helpful. I have been chatting with Larry Pryor also, who has been extremely helpful...just got to order those parts now. Cool little brace you fashioned..

Pit racer...looks like the carpet may not be an option much longer, so I guess we get to duke it out on the pavement again...bring it and lets rock and roll!!
Old 07-22-2002, 02:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Breaking arms?

It's so rare I break an arm, especially an upper one. I can only imagine you may have something installed improperly or something. To break one every week? wow, that seems way different from anyone I've ever known to have any Schumacher. I hope you are able to figure out why you are having this problem. It's really a great platform to race with, by far my favorite of the cars I've raced/built/etc. myself. One of it's strongest selling points is that the car rarely breaks.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:52 PM
4jw
Tech Initiate

Default breaking arms

These are deffinately our favorite Sedans. we just seem to be breaking arms. The first month we didn't break anything. I know I broke a couple when i went down the straight and was up against the wall. I figured the axle caught in the wood and cracked the arm. It has just been recently that we have broke a bunch of them. We have been racing for 13 years and we aren't hitting everything on the track. Just thought I would check and see if anyone else was having the same problem. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

4JW.....Im not going to say that I have never broken an arm on my car b/c that would be a lie. What alot of it has to do with is the type of track you race on if they have hard walls or corners. If they do you will break stuff when hitting it. If you do like some of the other guys said and thread more into the arm and less into the ball cup it will last longer and they might crack or bend in a hard hit but most times not break so bad that you can not finnish the run. I change my upper arms often about once a month and I race about 2 times a week and am far from hitting everything on the track. I hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Quoted By KevinK I change my upper arms often about once a month and I race about 2 times a week and am far from hitting everything on the track. I hope this helps.
Why do you change the upper arms once a month? If its because they develope slop over a period of time, I would think the slop would be in the bulkhead.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

A neat old trick is to get an old hinge pin, smear it lightly with C.A, and slide it through the bulkead...

then wait for a few mins for it to set, and teh slop will be gone..

the bulkheads should be a nice firm fit on teh hingepins, so that a little force is required to remove the pins.

Note, when using teh Titanium upper pins, you need to lightly ream out the holes with a drill bit for the Pins to fit, as they are slightly wider.

to remove the slop you are talking about, you can either replace your upper arms often, or lightly wipe on some C.A over each end of the bulkeads, then lightly sand smooth with some Wet and dry to get a smooth finish.

If the slop is real bad, also do this to the insides of the arms which contact the bulkead...a little experimentation is required to get the right amount of friction so there is no slop, but still moves freely.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

The tierods are sometimes bent you can notice this when you go to adjust camber and the angle of the upper arm changes. They wear out where the tie rod goes into the arm and gets sloppy. Unless you race on a track that has no boards and used curbs like Tamiya's track, then the arms will last a lot longer. Here in the midwest the tracks are very tight and most are made with 2x4's or hard PVC pipe that is very unforgiving on the car. You might be surprized if you check your camber and go to adjust it and watch how everything moves in different directions thats b/c the tie rods are bent.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

interesting Kevin...I havent had that problem, but will look out for it now we are running more on indoors...

Ive seen some guys using the Titanium upper turnbuckes..these are the only ones I havent got..

hmm might be a good excuse to get the last hopups for my car
Old 07-22-2002, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

King-G...I have tried the Titianium tie rods and they did last longer but still bent over time and are just more expensive to replace. When a rod bends it usually ovals the hole in the arm so you need to replace the arm anyway and the tie rods that come in the arms are fine. Like I said the tracks here are very unforgiving and when you crash you crash hard most track are only about 7 to 8 feet wide for lanes so thats really tight. It does teach you to drive very tight lines but a little to tight and you gonna have to replace some stuff. I just wanted to let 4Jw know that hes not the only person that breaks stuff on the car.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Guys, some might be interested to see some pics of my car taken last week..

http://www.imagefile.net/tftr/forum/...p?TOPIC_ID=930

a couple of hopups! (i need more, must feed addiction):
Titanium turnbuckles (everyone except upper arms)
Titanium Hingepins Lower and upper
Titanium Screws Plus some of those countersunk purple washers =)
Alloy Layshaft Pulley
Alloy Wheel hex adaptors
Alloy Wheel nuts
Alloy Layshaft supports
Alloy gearboxes F/R
Threaded Shock bodies
Alloy shock bottoms
Alloy battery posts
Ultraflex front belt
Oneway Diff

Note, none of these are needed, I just decided to do it to show off the full range of hopups we have =)

Last edited by King-G; 07-22-2002 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nats Update:

Team Schumacher is flying into Aurora today on the way to the On Road Nats... lets wish them luck.

Paul Wynn
Andrew Cartright
Dave Vera
Alex Lopez
Timmy Heiser
Jay Williams
Ron Howard
Larry Pryor

If I missed anyone I apologize.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:13 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To you guys out there using the grey belts, do you do any pre-installation prep to the belts? Or do you take them right out of package and install them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.