R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #25291
Tech Champion
 
heavy's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 5,112
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus jd 2703 View Post
thank adrian but i got bigish meet coming up and i will get weighed so i kinda need a solution. but ill do what u say for club meetings
Josh - you are actually going to race ??????
__________________
Honorary Life Member Logan RCCC -Mi6EVO and Serpent F1
Honorary Life Member Chargers RCCC -Cat K1 Aero
Life Member Bayside RCCC -Schumacher Mi6EVO
Boondall. SuperShot, XX, SVR,Schumacher Storm BigWig
heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #25292
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Oh yeah, thats right! I forgot all about that.
Lucky you. I think that was the thing I hated most about that car. That belt used to stretch a lot and shred. And anyone who worked on that car knows how much of a PITA changing that belt was. You pretty much had to disassemble the whole car. That's a big reason why the Mi3 was such a treat when we got it. We went from the most difficult car to work on, to the easiest.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #25293
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokemad View Post
hi dudes
I'm just wondering why some racers cuts teeth from front or rear belts?
also what is the correct part no white frnt belt .does mi2 or ec ones are the same
cheers
Clipping the teeth off belts and pullies is somthing we love to see the other teams do. It sounds like it would work but it nets no efficiency improvement.

Here's why...

Lets say that a belt makes contract with 18 pulley teeth at the same time as it wraps around the pulley. For the sake of easy math let say the belt is applying 18 in/oz or torque on the pulley as the car accelerates. So lets assume each of the 18 teeth in contract with the pulley is bearing a 1 in/oz load.

If you cut away every other tooth now you have 9 teeth in contact applying the same load so each tooth now is bearing a 2 in/oz load. This doubling of the load increases the possibility of skipping and since the relative pressure on each tooth is doubled so is the friction as the tooth engages and releases the tooth on each pulley. So...over all there is no gain in efficiency.

Schumacher puts a lot of engineering into belt and pulley tooth profiles and it shows. I have not seen any belt sedan out of the box as free as a properly assembled Mi2EC or Mi3.

Keep your bearings smooth and clean and thats all you have to worry about.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series

Last edited by AdrianM; 02-29-2008 at 11:50 PM.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #25294
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,814
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #25295
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr View Post
Lucky you. I think that was the thing I hated most about that car. That belt used to stretch a lot and shred. And anyone who worked on that car knows how much of a PITA changing that belt was. You pretty much had to disassemble the whole car. That's a big reason why the Mi3 was such a treat when we got it. We went from the most difficult car to work on, to the easiest.
I said I forgot about it, I didn't say I missed out on the "fun" of dealing with the belts. My favorite part was how if you put the pulley fence for the center pulley on wrong, it would shred the rear belt...again....and again....and again...

Ahh....good times...good times...
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #25296
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Clipping the teeth off belts and pullies is somthing we love to see the other teams do. It sounds like it would work but it nets no efficiency improvement.

Here's why...

Lets say that a belt makes contract with 18 pulley teeth at the same time as it wraps around the pulley. For the sake of easy math let say the belt is applying 18 in/oz or torque on the pulley as the car accelerates. So lets assume each of the 18 teeth in contract with the pulley is bearing a 1 in/oz load.

If you cut away every other tooth now you have 9 teeth in contact applying the same load so each tooth now is bearing a 2 in/oz load. This doubling of the load increases the possibility of skipping and since the relative pressure on each tooth is doubled so is the friction as the tooth engages and releases the tooth on each pulley. So...over all there is no gain in efficiency.

Schumacher puts a lot of engineering into belt and pulley tooth profiles and it shows. I have not seen any belt sedan out of the box as free as a properly assembled Mi2EC or Mi3.

Keep your bearings smooth and clean and thats all you have to worry about.
Just wondering does the same apply for pulleys with every other tooth removed. I ask because when I ran my TA05, Tamiya release a pulley that cut the number of teeth on each diff pulley in half. This showed a marked improvement in how free the drive train was compared with the stardard pulleys.

Still wasn't out of the box Schumacher free, but there was clearly a difference.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #25297
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Just wondering does the same apply for pulleys with every other tooth removed. I ask because when I ran my TA05, Tamiya release a pulley that cut the number of teeth on each diff pulley in half. This showed a marked improvement in how free the drive train was compared with the stardard pulleys.

Still wasn't out of the box Schumacher free, but there was clearly a difference.
It would work if were were coasting our cars around the track with no pinions on our motors. Once you put torque into the system there is no advantage and an increase in the possibility of skipping the belts.

A lot of companies make stuff because top racers ask them to do it. Racers do come up with good stuff the engineers do not think of sometimes...this just isn't one of those cases.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #25298
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
It would work if were were coasting our cars around the track with no pinions on our motors. Once you put torque into the system there is no advantage and an increase in the possibility of skipping the belts.

A lot of companies make stuff because top racers ask them to do it. Racers do come up with good stuff the engineers do not think of sometimes...this just isn't one of those cases.
Hmmm....

Good to know. I was going to ask Schumacher about making some of those pulleys. Now...I guess not.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:38 PM   #25299
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
I said I forgot about it, I didn't say I missed out on the "fun" of dealing with the belts. My favorite part was how if you put the pulley fence for the center pulley on wrong, it would shred the rear belt...again....and again....and again...

Ahh....good times...good times...
Or the, "Do I have time to change my diff? I've only got 5 heats until I'm up. Better not risk it..."
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #25300
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,814
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Hey Adam, here's some more Pink/ Purple/ Plum/ Magenta for ya
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 09:34 PM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #25301
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 26,970
Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Hey Adam, here's some more Pink/ Purple/ Plum/ Magenta for ya
i dont see any E4 stickers
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #25302
Tech Champion
 
abailey21's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,217
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Cute JB......
__________________
K.C.C.O.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #25303
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Kerr View Post
I've only got 5 heats until I'm up. Better not risk it..."
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #25304
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,814
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
i dont see any E4 stickers
..........
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #25305
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,774
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Welcome to the team Jerome!
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corner Dots anyone? RCGaryK Electric On-Road 19 07-03-2006 11:12 PM
On the Corner RC-HPI R/C Photography 0 08-02-2005 10:53 PM
Snowbirds Around the Corner scarecrow Florida Racing 20 01-27-2005 10:43 AM
1/12th Corner GT Racer Singapore R/C Racers 26 03-04-2004 06:59 AM
Shumacher Corner in Aus jamesbaxter_81 Australian Racing 6 01-08-2004 02:36 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:00 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net