R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #25141
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Manitowoc WI
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
math. i can make a chart, but here's the math. (don't be scared, it's about 8th grade level, maybe )

the holes for the vertical screws in our pivot blocks are 48mm apart (roughly), and that's where the 'pivot' for inboard toe is. that length is the hypotenuse. the difference in shims (f/r) is the opposite side (of a triangle). opposite over hypotenuse = sin(x). so x = invsin(shims/48). (use your calculator)

eg: 2mm/48mm = .0417. invsin(.0417) = 2.39* (approximately, 2.4*). therefore (as stated in the back of the manual). each millimeter of inboard toe is equal to 1.2* (or i think they wrote that each 0.5mm = 0.6*)

for the rear end, we reverse the blocks, so you can't just count up the front shims and divide. the reversed blocks appeared to give a 3.2mm (.125") offset (when i measured the hingepin at the front and rear). therefore arcsin (3.2/48) = 3.8*

so the unshimmed rear has 3.8* of toe per side, and every half millimeter shim used at the front blocks removes 0.6*.

that was all measured (and based on my memory from last may). maybe 'ca' can read the prints and give us some better numbers.

- yvonne durkowski -

so, guess the chart is easy, now.

shims vs. toe

0.00mm = 3.8*
0.5mm = 3.2*
1.0mm = 2.6*
1.5mm = 2.0*
2.0mm = 1.4*
2.5mm = 0.8*
3.0mm = 0.2*

now raise your hand if you just skipped to the bottom. (and we can do some extra credit at the next big race).

Chris,

Because of stuff like this, you will always be my hero.

Late

Jim
jimnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #25142
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
so, guess the chart is easy, now.

shims vs. toe

0.00mm = 3.8*
0.5mm = 3.2*
1.0mm = 2.6*
1.5mm = 2.0*
2.0mm = 1.4*
2.5mm = 0.8*
3.0mm = 0.2*

now raise your hand if you just skipped to the bottom. (and we can do some extra credit at the next big race).
Raises hand...


Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
math. i can make a chart, but here's the math. (don't be scared, it's about 8th grade level, maybe )

the holes for the vertical screws in our pivot blocks are 48mm apart (roughly), and that's where the 'pivot' for inboard toe is. that length is the hypotenuse. the difference in shims (f/r) is the opposite side (of a triangle). opposite over hypotenuse = sin(x). so x = invsin(shims/48). (use your calculator)

eg: 2mm/48mm = .0417. invsin(.0417) = 2.39* (approximately, 2.4*). therefore (as stated in the back of the manual). each millimeter of inboard toe is equal to 1.2* (or i think they wrote that each 0.5mm = 0.6*)

for the rear end, we reverse the blocks, so you can't just count up the front shims and divide. the reversed blocks appeared to give a 3.2mm (.125") offset (when i measured the hingepin at the front and rear). therefore arcsin (3.2/48) = 3.8*

so the unshimmed rear has 3.8* of toe per side, and every half millimeter shim used at the front blocks removes 0.6*.

that was all measured (and based on my memory from last may). maybe 'ca' can read the prints and give us some better numbers.

- yvonne durkowski -
Hey...hey.........HEY...........you just keep your math out of my hobby!
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #25143
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,803
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Hey Chris I still don't get it?
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #25144
Tech Regular
 
Tomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 391
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

have a question regarding caster adjustment..

stock caster is 4, what would be the difference if ill use 2 or 6?
the car feels good in slow tight turns but a little understeer going in and out of straight away (high speed turns). Thanks!
__________________
OC Circuit: http://socal.rcracing.com
speedtechrc.com
Tomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:13 AM   #25145
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 25,583
Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomie View Post
have a question regarding caster adjustment..

stock caster is 4, what would be the difference if ill use 2 or 6?
the car feels good in slow tight turns but a little understeer going in and out of straight away (high speed turns). Thanks!
more caster =more stability at high speeds
less caster=increases steering,car turns tighter and faster
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #25146
Tech Elite
 
seaball's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,303
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
Hey...hey.........HEY...........you just keep your math out of my hobby!
lol. i know, i know. but i always feel like that the mathematical proof (if it exists) goes a long way to instilling credibility in answers. it's my skepticism kicking in. disregard, as needed.

man, have i mentioned how much i love our 'varijust' suspension (my term - lol)? seriously. having run the 2/ec forever, i still can't take for granted our infinite amount of toe options on the new ride! uh-huh
__________________
*** The Gate II - Home of Mike Wise ***
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #25147
Tech Master
 
Mr. McGoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,627
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
lol. i know, i know. but i always feel like that the mathematical proof (if it exists) goes a long way to instilling credibility in answers. it's my skepticism kicking in. disregard, as needed.

man, have i mentioned how much i love our 'varijust' suspension (my term - lol)? seriously. having run the 2/ec forever, i still can't take for granted our infinite amount of toe options on the new ride! uh-huh
I think the way you "talk" you could be full of sh#% and we wouldn't know the difference. You at least "act" like you know what you are talking about....thus - that increases your credibility regardless if content is correct...lol
__________________
Schumacher USA | SpeedMerchant | Team Tekin | eXpress | Parma/PSE | KOPROPO America | Team Tamale | Liposack.com
~Team McGoo - Not sure of next big race - A-Main or Bust!!!!
~~McGoo Creations - PM me for for a custom quote
Mr. McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #25148
Tech Elite
 
wallstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,904
Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default

seaball what servo do you use in your car ?
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:18 AM   #25149
Tech Elite
 
wstuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,001
Trader Rating: 112 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to wstuart
Default

Hey guys - i have an Mi2EC that im putting a pro setup in.
The setup comes form the back of the instruction manual. Teemu Leimu 2005
Im having trouble understanding droop. The setup sheet says that the droop is "measured form the center of the axle but i dont knoe what that means. how does the measuremetn form the cener of an axle correspond to the measurment i get of off my Hudy droop guage?
wstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 AM   #25150
Tech Master
 
Big Features's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Currituck, North Carolina
Posts: 1,871
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Droop is a very important tuning tool when it comes to weight transfer.
The hudy gauge is great for making sure the arms left and right are the same.
I would set your droop above ride hieght. Say your ride hieght is 5mm. Put a alan wrench under the middle of the rear/front of the chassis and raise the car. The amount of lift the chassis has before the tire come off the ground is your droop. Slide your ride hieght gauge under the chassis. That is your Droop measurement. Adjust the droop screws until both sides are close, Then use your droop gauge to make sure they are equal right to left. You can also tell because your wheels hit the board at the same time. (assuming your chassis is not tweeked) I hope I didnt confuse you
__________________
Mike Kling
Team Associated REEDY Powered
JConcepts TXD Skin Graphix
Big Features is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #25151
Tech Prophet
 
Randy Caster's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 16,668
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstuart View Post
Hey guys - i have an Mi2EC that im putting a pro setup in.
The setup comes form the back of the instruction manual. Teemu Leimu 2005
Im having trouble understanding droop. The setup sheet says that the droop is "measured form the center of the axle but i dont knoe what that means. how does the measuremetn form the cener of an axle correspond to the measurment i get of off my Hudy droop guage?
To set droop to the middle of the axle you first have to set your camber at ride height, then take the tires off. If the measurement on the setup sheet is in the 23-28mm range then set the chassis flat on a setup board. If it's in the 33-38mm range you need to raise the car with 10mm droop spacers still on a setup board. Now take calipers and measure the distance from the board to the center of the outside edge of the axle. This is probably the most accurate way to measure droop, and it is completely seperate from setting the tweak of the car as long as your chassis is flat.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #25152
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

And as long as you never change your camber. If you decide to run a little more or less camber, your droop settings will now be off. Also your roll centers (wishbone height) will effect your measurement this way too.

I still think measuring above ride height then making sure they're equal with a droop gauge is the most consistent way to measure your droop.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #25153
Tech Adept
 
MadBrushRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 117
Default

For droop I have started doing the following

Measure the diameter of the tyre and say it equals 64mm. You dived by 2 so you have 32mm and then add 2mm; this will take you to the top of the axle. So you now have a measurement of 34mm. Take off your ride height say 5mm and the droop say 2mm from 34mm and this will give you a measurement of 27mm to the top of the axle. This way you can work out your droop easily for any tyre. I am starting to do a list so I can know what measurements to us straight away. I measure by the hex as the height is not changed by camber much.

I also then use my gauges just to make sure they are even.

Skiddins

What setup and motor you starting with at Carperwars this weekend?

Cheers

Tony
MadBrushRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #25154
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBrushRacing View Post
Skiddins

What setup and motor you starting with at Carperwars this weekend?

Cheers

Tony
Eavan 19t (MuchMore), my setup is on rcracechat in the Setups section.

Or here in the Mi3 setups section, I will be starting with the Rug Racers Spool setup;

http://www.piez0r.com/Skiddins/


Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'17, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2017
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #25155
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 5,058
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Adam, package arrived today. Thanks for the great service.
__________________
Steve Walter
Sweep Racing USA/ Speed Passion USA/ Karens Famous Cookies (Transporter)
SRW141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corner Dots anyone? RCGaryK Electric On-Road 19 07-03-2006 11:12 PM
On the Corner RC-HPI R/C Photography 0 08-02-2005 10:53 PM
Snowbirds Around the Corner scarecrow Florida Racing 20 01-27-2005 10:43 AM
1/12th Corner GT Racer Singapore R/C Racers 26 03-04-2004 06:59 AM
Shumacher Corner in Aus jamesbaxter_81 Australian Racing 6 01-08-2004 02:36 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:45 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net