R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #24466
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Must admit i can't think of any good reason to switch to TRF shocks. Sure we ran them on Mi2's because the current Schumacher ones weren't available. The ones we have now are at least as good - or better IMHO that std TRF units.

Must admit i tend to run HPI springs, it really is a personal preference. You look around the pits, and at big races you often see drivers from any team using springs made by another company. Have never worked out exactly which Tamiya springs are the correct ones - so they are probably the only ones i haven't tried!!!
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #24467
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Lately I havent switched from the Tamiya yellow springs, I think they are 14lbs. Don't know if I'll be able to get away with running them at Snowbirds though, I think they will probably be a little too linear. I believe at the IIC I ran HPI gold and silver, 19 and 17lb springs which because of having more coils were easier to drive than the softer Tamiya spring.

Lately I have also been running the lowered towers on asphalt as well to get a little more shock angle adjustment. On the front tower you need a AE spring cup but the rear works fine with no modification.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #24468
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I seem to be tearing through my plastic servo gears with my MI3...does anyone know of a good servo saver that fits well in the car with a JR servo?

The kit servo saver looks less then high performance...

Thanks,
Art
THe Servo Darside mentioned is too slow to give top performance. You want a .10 sec. transitime or faster for sedans. Any slower and you really notice it in quick lock to lock tranistions in tight sections of a track.

This page shows all JR's surface racing servos: http://search.horizonrc.com/index.js...surface&N=5527

This is the best top level JR racing servo: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=JRPSZ9000S

You won't need to run a servo saver with it. It is strong enough to run without one no matter what you hit.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #24469
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

On the servo subject, if you wanted to save a few bucks look for an Airtronics 257 or 357 servo on eBay. If you can find a 257 in good condition I bet you could get it cheap, and I think that is a .06 transit time.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #24470
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I personally like the Futaba (never thought I'd say that ) 9550 servo. The low profile is nice and I've never used a servo saver with it. Even in the EC, I locked down the built in saver and used the same servo.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #24471
Tech Master

I've been running Xray lineir springs and Schumacher progressives. I'd like to try the HPI ones just in case thats the hot set-up at the 'birds. I know alot of guys were running them at Vegas. Does anyone have a part number for what springs I should get?? HPI has tons of different springs.
Big Features is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #24472
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Must admit i can't think of any good reason to switch to TRF shocks. Sure we ran them on Mi2's because the current Schumacher ones weren't available. The ones we have now are at least as good - or better IMHO that std TRF units.

Must admit i tend to run HPI springs, it really is a personal preference. You look around the pits, and at big races you often see drivers from any team using springs made by another company. Have never worked out exactly which Tamiya springs are the correct ones - so they are probably the only ones i haven't tried!!!
I would put the Mi3 shocks up against the best TRF shocks and I think ours Mi3 Pro Shocks are better. The Schumacher Mi3 shocks have taken the Tamiya shock design and eliminated every weakness. The Mi3 shocks are easier to build, bleed, are just as smooth and are impossible to wear out due to the nickel teflon plated bodies.

Last edited by AdrianM; 01-16-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #24473
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)

Tamiya Yellows are 13.33 lbs
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #24474
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
THe Servo Darside mentioned is too slow to give top performance. You want a .10 sec. transitime or faster for sedans. Any slower and you really notice it in quick lock to lock tranistions in tight sections of a track.

This page shows all JR's surface racing servos: http://search.horizonrc.com/index.js...surface&N=5527

This is the best top level JR racing servo: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=JRPSZ9000S

You won't need to run a servo saver with it. It is strong enough to run without one no matter what you hit.

I totally agree taht the servo itself is more than capable to stand up to the loads without failing. A few people at my track ran into issues uing 9550 servos with the solid Mi3 servo arm. The servo wouldn't strip, but after a while the plastic teeth inside the servo arm rounded off to the point that it would skip. You can imagine the fun that was in the middle of a race!

Just a counter point for the sake of information.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #24475
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Thanks for the suggestions on the servo saver...I have the gray Kimbrough but I was having a hard time making it fit. The ball stud rubs on the top deck. I think what I may have to do is space the server so that it will fit. I am running metal gear JR servo 8417...kinda old but still works fine. From what I undertsand these servos are known for tearing through the one plastic gear inside, which is what keeps happening to me. Thanks for the suggestions...I will see if I can post pics when I get it figured out.

Oh and I have a spring list incase anyone was looking for it...see the PDF below

I will add the tamiya and the rest of the HPI springs this week if I get some time.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf spring rates v2.pdf (17.1 KB, 1074 views)
Old 01-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #24476
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)

here is another list set up by order of weight
http://www.rcingreece.com/index.asp?...ing_comparison
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #24477
CA
Tech Apprentice

Set ups from the DHI are now in Tech Info on the Schumacher website.

Tamiya shocks?!!!....what
Old 01-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #24478
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
I totally agree taht the servo itself is more than capable to stand up to the loads without failing. A few people at my track ran into issues uing 9550 servos with the solid Mi3 servo arm. The servo wouldn't strip, but after a while the plastic teeth inside the servo arm rounded off to the point that it would skip. You can imagine the fun that was in the middle of a race!

Just a counter point for the sake of information.
Yeah the stock fixed servo arm is a bit soft. There is an optional speed secret alloy arm but I run the stock plastic one. I use the Airtroincs 94360 servo in my Mi3. It is all metal gear and very stout.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:19 AM   #24479
Tech Initiate

Smile

haha,

Springs is very much of a drivers preference, Some racers like tamiya springs, others asscociated, and so on..

I really do recommend you bolting on some TRF shocks, as good as the Schumacher shocks are, I have proven to myself and on the track that the TRF shocks made me go at least 0.5 of a second faster!

It doesn't hurt to try these things, and if you don't try, you will never know.

---

Will be waiting for my new 08 chassis and top deck!
Kirby Masterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 AM   #24480
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|

Last edited by andrewdoherty; 01-20-2008 at 09:53 AM.
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote